• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Biggest surprise was that Jack Debreczeni was rated no 1 flyhalf and Jonathan Vaux only no3. I had them the other way around; so that says how much I know.

Kovacic not rated as one of two best locks also a surprise. Didn't think that the Timani type lock Manasa Rokosuka had done enough but he was very good at Cranbrook; a hard young player.

Purcell as being in 4th group of players - reserves for firsts - was puzzling at first glance, but he really didn't have a chance to show his wares in his best position yesterday, nor last Sunday when he was playing injured from a competition game the day before. However his style of play is well known and the selectors didn't go for it - fair enough.

Gutherson in the Ones is no insult to Le Lievre but I thought that Gus would get in as a big match player as he showed again at the money end of the game yesterday. Gutherson has been one of the best backs in any position in the trials and will be a pleasure to watch when he leaves school, but let us hope that despite talk to the contrary, that it is the 15 man game that he will be playing in.

At outside centre I thought Scarano deserved his spot in the Ones and didn't think that Barclay did enough to be second ranked, but good luck to the Joeys lad. I thought that Northam resurrected his campaign yesterday and might have been picked at 13 with someone else on the wing but that plan of mine was bunk. At least he is the Ist XV.

So Jake Guilfoyle ended up with the hooker mystery prize? He was as good as anybody else though like the others his throwing to the lineout can be ropey.

I thought that Ezra A would be higher ranked than v.d. Laak in the Twos but his surge yesterday was obviously too late.

At least 6. Dempsey got a gig. I am not so disappointed that he didn't make the Ones as Calcagno is as hard as nails and has a bit of skill about him too. It's good to see that the selectors picked some hard nosed players - not that Dempsey is soft.

If the strength of teams is judged by how strong their bench is NSW should do well - there are some fine reserves there.

Also there were some good players overlooked for the NSW squad. 12. Milne, 6. Miller, 8. Baraket, 12. Manu, 11. Kavaefiafi and 2. Morsello, amongst others, were all unlucky.

P

PTB

Starting in two of the respective teams;
GPS 1sts: 10
CHS 1sts: 8
GPS 2nds: 5
CAS 1sts: 5
ISA 1sts: 1
GPS 3rds: 1

BENCH;
GPS 2nds: 4
GPS 1sts: 3
CAS 1sts: 3
CHS 1sts: 2
ISA 1sts: 2
CHS 2nds: 1
GPS 3rds: 1

all up
GPS 1sts: 13
CHS 1sts: 10
GPS 2nds: 9
CAS 1sts: 8
ISA 1sts: 3
GPS 3rds: 2
CHS 2nds:1

P

PTB

Biggest surprise was that Jack Debreczeni was rated no 1 flyhalf and Jonathan Vaux only no3. I had them the other way around; so that says how much I know.

Lee he was number 4 ranked, Debrincini, Horwitz, Purcell and then Vaux

B

baldingwingforward

Lee he was number 4 ranked, Debrincini, Horwitz, Purcell and then Vaux

No PTB - unless they have changed it it goes NSW 1s, Nsw 2s, NSW 2s Bench, and NSW 1s Bench - i.e. the NSW 1s Reserves are the 4th choice.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Given that the four Association captains are in the 1's (Wells, Wessels, Dombkins and Debreczni) who do people think will captain the two sides?

These are two pretty strong teams and i think will go better than last year. Last year the teams were split similarly with the 2's containing mostly GPS players. There certainly was an uproar about selections then. This year I think the best players were picked in the respective teams and can find no major complaints about selections

B

baldingwingforward

Overall, compared with other years, you would have to say that the NSW selectors have actually looked at the whole picture instead of being rail roaded into picking from one or two associations. (Pappa obviously learnt his lesson last year!)

Yes the GPS and CHS dominate the selections, but they were the best two teams by far. I still can't quite understand the Scots fascination - they play well as a team but i'm not so sure that they will be so effective once they are taken out of that environment. Their coach has them playing a very specific pattern, it will be interesting to see if they can survive once their comfort blanket is removed.

Some observations in no particular order:

Once again the GPS selectors have got some egg on their face - but no change there. Miller picked as GPS 1s - doesn't get a start, and Dempsey who everyone knew should have been there, rightly picked in NSW 2s ahead of him.

Carroll from Shore - good on the lad. Took his chance with both hands to fight his way in to NSW 2s - supposedly only good enough for GPS 3rds though!

Not sure that Barclay should be there - plenty of better 13s on show IMO - but good luck to the lad.

Big Ezra from Newington. Got shown up again in the scrum yesterday, and also turned over the ball which CHS scored from. Really don't think he warranted selection but i'm not sure if the selectors worry about the quality of the scrum! They should as it will get harder at every level and he has already shown that he struggles when the heat comes on. Same could be said about Alalatoa - but they have picked ball carrying props...

Debrezcini - as Lee has said. Not sure he was the best 10 on show but he's there now. Good distributor in attack but his defence is suspect. Of the 10s Vaux is by far the best defender. He made some mistakes yesterday, but i saw him make at least 2 turnovers yesterday, and his line speed is impressive. That sort of ability in defence is critical as you go up the rep ladder. Horwitz - good on the ball but questionable in defense. I actually liked the CHS 10 but he didn't get a look in...

Sio - i think can consider himself very lucky. He is prominent when the team is going forwards but you don't tend to see him when the going gets tough...

Kovacic can consider himself hard done by - but at least he got picked so he will still be a chance for further honours. Dombkins was just "ok" from yesterday and not much more but others have suggested he was playing with injury.

Lalakai - interesting selection. He played well yesterday but still a liability in defense. He gets turned in very easily and puts his 13 under huge pressure. Still think he would be a better option on the wing.

Whiteley - interesting selection but i guess quite smart by the selectors as he can cover 4,5, 6,7 and 8 - so a very useful player to have on the field. He really stood out in both of his games for GPS 2s so hard to argue that he shouldn't be there. Year 11 as well so good experience for next year.

Boileau - was he really the 4th best halfback... Will struggle not playing with his mates from Scots.

Hooker was always going to be a lottery. Guilfoyle can consider himself very fortunate indeed but there again none of the hookers really stood out. None of them were great at the lineout which is a worry - but i guess with some decent time together at training that might improve.

Pat Kennedy - glad he got a spot as he was outstanding in yesterdays game and good on Tuesday evening as well. You could have easily made a case for him to get picked ahead of Walters but at least he is there. Has had a horror run with injuries so good for the lad to get a shot.

Talakai can perhaps consider himself the most fortunate - he has barely played any rugby in the past 5 weeks but i guess the selectors went for what they know he is capable of. Cockinos did a good job in the scrums but i guess isn't as good on the ball around the field.

Roods - when hes fit is a great player. Unfortunately he always seems to be injured...

Baldwin unlucky not to get picked somewhere especially as his mate Roods got picked without playing, but the standard of backrowers was as always VERY high, so it would have been hugely contraversial to pick him without him playing.

Thats it from me - good luck to all the players and bad luck to the ones that missed out. As with every year, a lot of these supposed rep players will never be heard of again. They will go to Colts with big reps and end up playing 2nd or 3rd Colts - whereas others who were supposedly not good enough, will leave school and carve up.

Selecting is a difficult process, especially if you are one eyed and don't look at ALL players with the same level of fairness, but its the same the world over and there is no easy fix!

O

OppO

Vaux had a shocker yesterday, that didnt help his chances. Shame because he looked good on tuesday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Disagree, but that is neither here nor there. You are more likely to be right though as the selectors didn't pick him as one of the top two.

O

OppO

The 9,10 combo was a weak link. Not that Merriman is a bad player but Waldo ate him up. Didn't let him get any clean ball. Again both these players played well on Tuesday, everyone has a weak(er) game every now and then.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Debrezcini - as Lee has said. Not sure he was the best 10 on show but he's there now. Good distributor in attack but his defence is suspect. Of the 10s Vaux is by far the best defender. He made some mistakes yesterday, but i saw him make at least 2 turnovers yesterday, and his line speed is impressive. That sort of ability in defence is critical as you go up the rep ladder. Horwitz - good on the ball but questionable in defense. I actually liked the CHS 10 but he didn't get a look in...

Selecting is a difficult process, especially if you are one eyed and don't look at ALL players with the same level of fairness, but its the same the world over and there is no easy fix!

Totally agree! Well said.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think the back five are the best of NSW. All of them hard runners and work off the ball very well and will give plenty of go forward. Good size as well. Dombkins 'ok' yesterday? don't know where that came from as he was almost playing like a 7 at times and was one of the best forwards on the ground against CAS. But he has been moved to second row where i think some people are forgetting thats where he made Aus A last year... The back line has plenty of space which will match QLD's pace out wide with Northam. Give him space and he will score easily.

NSW 2.... My prediction will be the same as last year. Good hard side that will be very succesful. GPS and CAS dominated, will be very hard up front and great skill out wide. Sure maybe Kovacic should be there instead of Manasa but maybe NSW 1's wanted grunt and aggression as they were lacking last year.

But aside from all things, both sides have very capable players which will go well in the championships and now everyone should stop talking about individual's and start focusing on the teams because we are at heart NSwelshmen. Go the boys and congratulations again

B

baldingwingforward

Dombkins 'ok' yesterday? don't know where that came from as he was almost playing like a 7 at times and was one of the best forwards on the ground against CAS.

Sun must have been in my eyes too much as it was the earlier game! I was aware of his rep honours from last year so i guess i was expecting him to be more dominant. Scored a good try although not sure he was "like a 7" though. He won't let anyone down and with the NSW backrow of Calagno, Broome and Wells behind him, that is some serious grunt in the pack. They are all hard workers as well - no pretty boys or show ponies there.

P

pitbull

Overall, compared with other years, you would have to say that the NSW selectors have actually looked at the whole picture instead of being rail roaded into picking from one or two associations. (Pappa obviously learnt his lesson last year!)

Yes the GPS and CHS dominate the selections, but they were the best two teams by far. I still can't quite understand the Scots fascination - they play well as a team but i'm not so sure that they will be so effective once they are taken out of that environment. Their coach has them playing a very specific pattern, it will be interesting to see if they can survive once their comfort blanket is removed.

Baldwin unlucky not to get picked somewhere especially as his mate Roods got picked without playing, but the standard of backrowers was as always VERY high, so it would have been hugely contraversial to pick him without him playing.

Thats it from me - good luck to all the players and bad luck to the ones that missed out. As with every year, a lot of these supposed rep players will never be heard of again. They will go to Colts with big reps and end up playing 2nd or 3rd Colts - whereas others who were supposedly not good enough, will leave school and carve up.

summed it all up perfectly, although i thought ezra played okay yesterday? and its a joke that kovacic is in the 2's

B

brewskie

Still would have liked to Kulen in the frame for selections unfortunantly his selection as reserve clearly hurt his chances although he could still make the combine team...anyone have an idea where this team can be found?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Only selection I struggle with is Horwitz starting in the II's over some better performed others. First 20 mins yesterday he looked very unsettled with the ISA backrow pressuring him into a number of mistakes/poor decisions. He is a quality player but I felt his time would come next year. Hopefully combined states will pick up some of the unfortunates such as Manu and Miller.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Lee , it's interesting how we all see things differently , in particular re Debreczeni .
I noted your comments about him following last Tuesdays game , which I didn't see , & your comments today describing his selection as the biggest surprise .
I came away from the ground thinking he was one of the better backs I saw all day.
The main weakness in his game is his defence , although it is not hopeless , but I think he times his passes beautifully setting up his outside backs & supporting players , he's quick across the ground , & he has a strong kicking game .

W

waves

Once Brogan gets up and running and is inserted into the centres with Stewart that backline looks first class.

9. Wessels
10. Debreczieni / Prucell
11. Tanginoa
12. Stewart
13. Roods
14. Northam
15. Gutherson

P

pitbull

Once Brogan gets up and running and is inserted into the centres with Stewart that backline looks first class.

9. Wessels
10. Debreczieni / Prucell
11. Tanginoa
12. Stewart
13. Roods
14. Northam
15. Gutherson

anyone know how they will compare north of the border?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee , it's interesting how we all see things differently , in particular re Debreczeni .

It's always the case that people see things differently. They watch a game and wonder why somebody who saw the same game, and even more than one game, can have a different opinion about a certain player.

I don't, and am therefore mellow about the opinions of others who take a different view to mine.

For example: I was watching the hookers for a long time in all the games yesterday, but missing what the others were doing from time to time, and at other times I would be watching who did a good tackle or a good run and waiting to see him get up to check his number and write a note - meantime play had gone on and I missed some stuff.

It is always so. The selectors have the best idea. I was sitting with a CHS selector on Tuesday night. His job was already done but he said that he and another chap watched all the 2nd rowers for the whole game in the CHS trials, and were not distracted with the stuff I was talking about.

A GPS selector of some years ago told me the same thing: he was one of three selectors picking the GPS teams backrow.

Sure both of them would have to offer and opinion at selection meetings, about a a lock who could switch to 6, and vice versa, but in the main they were looking at 4 locks or 6 backrowers the whole game, every game.

We don't do that: our viewing is random, for example: we follow the ball and not the defenders at a ruck. If you ever want to get a car sick sensation watch defenders at a ruck on TV to see how they are performing. Your eye is commanded by your brain to go back to the ball, then you remember that you were trying to watch the defender and you switch back but the ball hypnotises you.

But I digress. We are imperfect watchers and assessors, though we get a lot of stuff right.

Status
Not open for further replies.