• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theboss

The first half of the GPS vs ISA game was a pleasure to watch. The GPS effort was clinical and to go to half time with a 26-0 lead was good enough to make changes from the bench. ISA to their credit came back and the 2nd half didnt blow out. ISA scrored a great try down the right side and showed that they are up there with the best sides on their day...

Except the team should be called the President XXVI and not XV

B

baldingwingforward

Except the team should be called the President XXVI and not XV

Thats not their fault! Crazy that the CAS get two teams when the GPS are clearly the strongest group so why not give them 2 teams and give some more kids a chance?

How many players have other teams got in their squad? 21 at least i would guess. You could argue that 26 is actually a disadvantage as the continual changes don't allow for any continuity or relationships to develop between the players.

F

For the love of the game.

PLEASE EXPLAIN. How many schools trial for each team?

For example 8 schools trial for GPS and they get 1 team, 6 or 7 schools trial for CAS and they get 2 teams
So how many schools trial to make up each team from :AICES, CAS, CCC, ISA, IGS(CHS)& Country?

How is this a fair process?
Of course if you have more schools to choose from then of course you will have stronger teams and how can you give each boy a fair game?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Happy to make a start. Apart from the GPS boys, have noted from CAS 1 M. Afele, B.Whicher, J.Clark and J.Paek. CCC S.Moelasi, K.Seana, M.Morgan,J.Adams. IGS J.Matrairavula, B. Paenga-Amosa, S.Hefron, C. Quinn, E.Jennings, A.Delore. ISA, G.McDonald, B.Cotton, H. Cochrane. AICES C. Hawkins, B.Buttler, S.Mill. CAS 11 T.Davis,M.Docker

Cam Orr was CAS best forward - at flanker or prop, strong and committed all day. Thought Jamo was predictable in a disappointing sluggish CAS 1 side. Jamo shown up by his usual half-back playing at 5/8 ie Whicker in second game who actually got the CAS 1 backline moving rather than trying to do it alone - hence 10 tries (albeit easier opposition). CAS 2 full-back DeLorenzo played well against GPS - made lots of tackles against much bigger, fast players. GPS were outstanding in all facets, followed by CHS and CCC. Tomorrows final will determine much of the selections.

U

Up the tahs

any idea on a possible nsw u16 team from today's performances.

Bill McLean (32)
Definetly could be. All 3 shut down CCC's strong 10,12,13 today.We'll see tomorrow !!

Ding Dong I could not disagree with you more here! From my analysis of the game it was the CCC#10 (when he was on) #12 and #13 who kept the CHS backline relatively quiet (especially when considering the glutten of possession CHS had). In fact the same boys shut down the CAS1 in their first game, especially the CCC#13 who pulled of a couple of try savers against the CAS1#14 and 15.

If my memory serves me correctly hardly any ball was forthcoming for the CCC backline during the CHS game (more notably in the 2nd half), and when it did it came by way of 'HOSPITAL PASSES' . There was one such pass during the 2nd half which resulted in the CHS #11 absolutely crunching the CCC #13 ... it was a horrific pass ... one you wouldn't give your worst enemy ... lmao ... but a great line up by the CHS#11 for the hit.

Conversely, from what I seen the CCC#13 kept shutting down the otherwise unstoppable CHS#11 (as he was in his first game against CS) from penetrating. As did the the CCC#12 with respect to the CHS#13. As stated by Magpie (and I emphatically agree) without the CCC#9 & 10 the team was a shell of ist first half performance (where I might add the CCC#13 scored a try up the left flank palming of a defender along the way to take the first half lead)!

Nevertheless CHS desevered their hard fought victory and engaging in 'what ifs' is an exercise of futility. Irrespective of the decisions of the CCC coaching staff as it pertained to the CCC#9 and #10, CHS could only play the team in front of them, and they did, and they won!

Regards,
Newbie.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Anyone know who played 10' 12 & 13 for CHS?

I'm an ijiot - meant to ask about CCC - but interested in CHS as well.

Trying to confirm if M Morgan made an outing for CCC or whether that is another boy sent packing prematurely to league.

The boys themselves might accept the occasional slap on the face (all very character building), but quite normally its mum or dad that says bugger this & packs the family bags.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done to the President's men, some great running rugby played across the weekend. NSW should fair well at the national's later in the year.

D

Dingdong

Ding Dong I could not disagree with you more here! From my analysis of the game it was the CCC#10 (when he was on) #12 and #13 who kept the CHS backline relatively quiet (especially when considering the glutten of possession CHS had). In fact the same boys shut down the CAS1 in their first game, especially the CCC#13 who pulled of a couple of try savers against the CAS1#14 and 15.

If my memory serves me correctly hardly any ball was forthcoming for the CCC backline during the CHS game (more notably in the 2nd half), and when it did it came by way of 'HOSPITAL PASSES' . There was one such pass during the 2nd half which resulted in the CHS #11 absolutely crunching the CCC #13 ... it was a horrific pass ... one you wouldn't give your worst enemy ... lmao ... but a great line up by the CHS#11 for the hit.

Conversely, from what I seen the CCC#13 kept shutting down the otherwise unstoppable CHS#11 (as he was in his first game against CS) from penetrating. As did the the CCC#12 with respect to the CHS#13. As stated by Magpie (and I emphatically agree) without the CCC#9 & 10 the team was a shell of ist first half performance (where I might add the CCC#13 scored a try up the left flank palming of a defender along the way to take the first half lead)!

Nevertheless CHS desevered their hard fought victory and engaging in 'what ifs' is an exercise of futility. Irrespective of the decisions of the CCC coaching staff as it pertained to the CCC#9 and #10, CHS could only play the team in front of them, and they did, and they won!

Regards,
Newbie.

Don't get me wrong Newbie, I do rate the CCC 10,12,13 and 15 but their impact was minimised by an opposition backline (CHS) who can all tackle. If we are talking about selecting the best players over the weekend for the All schools team then only the 13 (possibly 15) could be considered IMO. As for the 9, I thought the coaches were justified in his limited game time after today's performance.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here's my NSW Schools U16 squad. There's a few bolters in there but GPS deserve their high representation and CCC have some deserved selections given their very good carnival. (No doubt some of these will end up in the Sydney U16 team resulting in others needing to be added). Would have had a couple of others in this team but they didn't play over the weekend.

1. Matt Sandell (GPS) (vice captain)
2. Jack King (GPS)
3. Jackson Mclean (CCC)
4. Josh Schwager (GPS)
5. Tom Cutler (GPS)
6. Olly Kemp (GPS)
7. Angus MacDougall (CCC)
8. Malaki Afele (CAS)
9. Rory Davis (GPS) (captain)
10. Andrew Deegan (GPS)
11. Jimmy Ah-Chung (CHS)
12. Corey Tulloch (GPS)
13. Michael Morgan (CCC)
14. Oscar Pople (GPS)
15. Harry Jones (GPS)
16. Jarrod Matairavula (CHS)
17. Cam Orr (CAS)
18. David Morris (GPS)
19. Nick Pennisi (GPS)
20. Cale Angeloni (ISA)
21. Joey Lussick (GPS)
22. Nick Koutsoukis (CAS)
23. Doug Streeter (GPS)
24. Alex Lyons (GPS)
25. Ben Cotton (ISA)

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hmmhhh maybe - but imo it also has something to do with the Australian fascination of picking Islander boys in the front row and the engine room of the scrum. How many Islanders do you see playing prop for NZ? Answer... not many/zero! Just because they are big and heavy doesn't automatically mean that they can play well in the front row!

Go read some stats balding there have been "islanders" playing in the front row for years for NZ. Don't understand why you single out certain races. Have you ever stopped to consider the natural flare of the "Islanders" is an advantage to a side? Give the boys some credit mate, all players work hard to get where they are. Australia is in the pacific in case you've forgotten.

D

Dingdong

Here's my NSW Schools U16 squad. There's a few bolters in there but GPS deserve their high representation and CCC have some deserved selections given their very good carnival. (No doubt some of these will end up in the Sydney U16 team resulting in others needing to be added). Would have had a couple of others in this team but they didn't play over the weekend.

1. Matt Sandell (GPS) (vice captain)
2. Jack King (GPS)
3. Jackson Mclean (CCC)
4. Josh Schwager (GPS)
5. Tom Cutler (GPS)
6. Olly Kemp (GPS)
7. Angus MacDougall (CCC)
8. Malaki Afele (CAS)
9. Rory Davis (GPS) (captain)
10. Andrew Deegan (GPS)
11. Jimmy Ah-Chung (CHS)
12. Corey Tulloch (GPS)
13. Michael Morgan (CCC)
14. Oscar Pople (GPS)
15. Harry Jones (GPS)
16. Jarrod Matairavula (CHS)
17. Cam Orr (CAS)
18. David Morris (GPS)
19. Nick Pennisi (GPS)
20. Cale Angeloni (ISA)
21. Joey Lussick (GPS)
22. Nick Koutsoukis (CAS)
23. Doug Streeter (GPS)
24. Alex Lyons (GPS)
25. Ben Cotton (ISA)

Excellent team CTPE. Only difference for me would be J. Mataiaravula (starting), S.Hefron for A.McDougal, E. Jennings (for B.Cotton), J.Clark for C.Angeloni and J . Markus for J.Lussick

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rugby Tragic; Take out Morgan and put in Tepai and I'll agree [/QUOTE said:
Sorry RT but I can't. I was disappointed with him at the State Champs and also over this weekend. Don't know whether he is carrying an injury or not but he's just not hitting the line like he used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.