• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree Light and I also think Kent might be a dark horse. I watched a lot of AIC this year and was very surprised with the dominance he showed this season. I saw two of Ashgrove's games this season and firmly believe that had Kent not been playing Ash would have lost. In the two matches he showed different parts to his game; against SPLC he single handidly tore their defence to shreds with some tremendous kick returns and broken play running, while against Padua he utilised a superb kicking game.

I know some of the Marist coaches and asked what his story was; apparently he's a league player who until this year had no real love of rugby union and played simply because he had too! Which might shed some 'light' on why he was previously unheard of.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Seems kind of unfair to the kids from the other states still playing in Div 2 Championships that finish tomorrow in Victoria that the Combined States team has already been named - would have thought the selectors may have wanted to see the finals before naming the team. Seems a waste to have the Div 2 Championships really.

J

jaydee

1. James Thompson - Mountain Creek State High School QLD
2. Francois Postal - St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
3. McKenzie Kulen - St Ignatius’ College NSW
4. Scott Mains - Villanova College QLD
5. Nick Coaldrake - Epping Boys High School NSW
6. Tautala Tasi - Ipswich Grammar School QLD
7. Mark Baldwin - Newington College NSW
8. Will Miller - The Scots College NSW
9. Tom Koertz - St Stanislaus’ College NSW
10. Jake McIntyre - Alstonville High School NSW
11. Monty Ioane - Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
12. Paul Asquith - Kiama High School NSW
13. Matthew Gordon - Ipswich Grammar School QLD
14. Jaidyn Yeatman - The Cathedral School QLD
15. Chris Smith - The Hills Sports High School NSW
16. Tom Robertson - St Joseph’s College NSW
17. Campbell Pavey - Toowomba Grammar School QLD
18. Josh McHugh - The Southport School QLD
19. Senio Toleafoa - St Stanislaus’ College NSW
20. Jock Armstrong - The Armidale School NSW
21. Simon Gregg - St Laurence’s College QLD
22. Finlay McDonald - Newington College NSW
23. Tom Banks - Brisbane Boys’ College QLD

Bolded are the main contenders in this team for Oz Schools IMO.

So glad Simon Gregg made the trials somehow as injury may have robbed him of a chance at AIC 1 and as it turned out AIC 1 1/2 is QLD 1 1/2, so this year could have been one that got away.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree with Rugby Interest. What are the point of these championships?

I know this year no player from the Div 2 sides were selected but this has not been the case in previous years. These tournamnets are important for the talent in those states to be seen and promote the game and keep it alive at the Schools level in those states. if we lose the support of the schools then this may flow on to the club systems those states may ahve and we would end up like the "National" Rugby League game where it is played in only two states

T

T.Rugby

Just wandering if anyone can explain to me why Victoria & Western Australia play in both Div 1 and 2?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
My point was referring to the fact that none of the players from Tasmania or Sth Australia get a chance against the best opposition if the Combined States team is picked before the Division2 completion. I think it was better when the Combined States included players solely from those championships but that of course changes when the NSW1's lost 2 years in a row to them. I wonder how someone like Kyle Godwin or Talalelei Grey would have gone had they been playing for WA and Victoria and been on the end of a 70 point hiding. Again the self interests of some are put in front of the greater majority.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just wandering if anyone can explain to me why Victoria & Western Australia play in both Div 1 and 2?

It's their Twos teams that play in the Div II Championships, not their Ones.

Incidentally - IIRR they timed the end of the Div II Championships last year to coincide with the last NSW trial and I think the Qld trials were already over. This year it was poor form to chose the CS team before the Div II tournament was completed

They will chose a Merit Team of the Div II tournament at least.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My question is considering he isn't playing the the national trials, do you select Chris F'Sautia in the final 22? I'd consider him on the bench pending his fitness but could it be justifiable that he walks straight into the 13 jumper for Oz Schools after limited match time. Who would be his replacement.

QLD 1 #13: Soape Palau- Strong defender, has good acceleration and reads opposition well, proven representative player but failed to impress at state trials. I'd give him an outside chance as you'd have to prefer a strong ball runner over a defensive centre. Finds his way to the tryline often and has good handling/footwork. Only question mark is his size, he's elusive to tackle but tends to go backwards when running into good tacklers and often loses possession in the rucks

Not sure what there is south of the boarder, but by the sounds of things the #13 jersey could be going south this year.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
light

Even though he is playing 12 in the NSW 1's Jim Stewart is generally a 13 and a very good one at that. i would tip him to take F'Sautia's position if he is unavailable.

I have previously posted that given his history and undoubted talent and he is the best going around, I would select him in the "A" side after the Championships to play England to test his fitness and then include him in the 44 players to trial in september for the games against NZ. if they do not pick him in this "A" side then surely he will be in the September trials anyway.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
light

Thinking like the selectors which shows that a couple of precedents have been set before on this that I can recall and no doubt there are other examples:

1. Keiran Landers walking straight into the Aus Schoolboys side after being out with a broken jaw for the trials and early tests. I have some recollection that he won the award for the best player as well.
2. Phil Kite did the same thing last year.

My view is simple and straight forward. Chris is recognised as the best player in his position over the last 2 years. When he recovers from the injury and is available, he should go straight in.

R

rugbymand2323

Jddd, where did you find that those were the shadow players?

P

pitbull

How does this years combined states team compare to previous years/other teams in this years state champs?

C

cheekychooks

anyone heard about when Ulupano Seutini from TSS will be back? is he in contention at all for Aus Schools this year after injuring his ankle?

H

hurge

anyone heard about when Ulupano Seutini from TSS will be back? is he in contention at all for Aus Schools this year after injuring his ankle?

I think he is still in a boot, should be walking in a few weeks, and running in a month or 2.

C

cheekychooks

oh nice, he is a great player watched him play a few games last year. quite versatile and can play any position from 9-15 in the backline quite disappointing to see him get injured.

S

Steve-O

oh nice, he is a great player watched him play a few games last year. quite versatile and can play any position from 9-15 in the backline quite disappointing to see him get injured.

yeah i have heard about him, apparently supposed to be one of TSS's best players. Unfortunate about the injury

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I wouldnt be surprised if Kellaway got a spot somewhere, we all no he has a huge future and hes made it to NSW II's, and hes only on the wing so not a crucial position where he will be put under alot of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.