• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just wanted to get this started as I'm interseted to see a wallaby 22 minus the Qld Reds players who I think will be rested for the Springbok test only 6 days later.

Not sure of the injury situation but this is the side I'd like to see against Samoa less the Reds players.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu/ Alexander
4. Vickerman
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess - (is he good to go?)
10. Giteau
11. Turner
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale.

16. Charles (was he at scrum camp?)
17.Alexander/Kepu 18.Mumm 19. Hodgson 20.Phipps 21.Mortlock 22.Shepherd

Not sure on some of these players inuries or even squad selection but with injuries to TPN, Horne, Barnes & Drew Mitchell it has made for some tough selections.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wouldn't have JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing for this one. Maybe at 10 with Gits at 12, primarily because Giteau won't be playing much 10 come tri-nations and WC so best off keeping him consistently at 12. McCabe at 14.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Has Deans said much on resting the Reds players? I say it would be a fair choice considering there is some key players (ie: Horwill, Genia, Cooper, Ioane), who he wouldn't want to burn out.

On that side I think Hugh Pyle will be ahead of Mumm, he was at scrum camp im pretty sure.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
My turn

1: robbo
2: Moore
3: Alexander
4: vicks
5: sharpe
6: elsom (he says he will be fit) otherwise dennis (might as well find out now)
7: hodgeson
8 : mccalman
9: Phipps (think Burgos is still out)
10: Beale (controversial)
11: cummins
12: JOC (James O'Connor) (pipe dream)
13: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14: turner
15: shep

Reasoning behind Beale at 10: we will build a game around QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, and it is a game few can replicate. The only one who comes close is Beale. If we lose QC (Quade Cooper) midway through a big game, we will have to change our complete game plan to suit the new 10 (gits) which is too disruptive. I think we should be developing Beale to be the 10 backup.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's half the point of the site, right?

G

GC

1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Alexander (assuming Kepu is still out)
4. Wykes (Vickerman hasn't played enough yet for a start)
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom (hasn't played much either but it's more important to get him up to speed than Vickerman)
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps (assuming Burgess is out)
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. McCabe
12. Gits
14. Shepard
15. Beale

16. Dunning
17. Charles
18. Vickerman
19. Brown
20. Sheehan
21. Lealiifano
22. Cummins

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think if there are any Reds players in the squad, none of them should play 80 minutes. If they start, they should be swapped early, but playing from the bench would be a good option too.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I wouldn't have JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing for this one. Maybe at 10 with Gits at 12, primarily because Giteau won't be playing much 10 come tri-nations and WC so best off keeping him consistently at 12. McCabe at 14.

Gits has to be world cup back up ten, JOC (James O'Connor) may be in a few years, but he doesn't have the ability to run a wallaby back line yet. Shifting gits in from 12 to 10 is less disruptiv mid match than bringing on a fresh player to 12

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Dean Mumm
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Luke Burgess
10. Matt Giteau
11. Pat McCabe
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Lachie Turner
15. Kurtley Beale
-------------------------
16. Nathan Charles
17. Ben Alexander
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Mitchell Chapman - He'll never let anyone down, and I feel he deserves a cap after warming the bench all match against Ireland last year. Besides, who else?
20. Matt Hodgson
21. Nick Phipps
22. Cameron Shepherd

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
In this game we should play our backup in each of the Reds player positions. That means replacing:

Horwill
Genia
Cooper
Ioane

Every other selection should be the same as the first team or serve a specific development purpose. The only obvious development purpose is JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. The team (with some question marks) should therefore probably be:

Robinson
Moore
Alexander (Kepu if fit)
Sharpe
Vickerman / Wykes
Elsom
Pocock
McCalman
Phipps (Burgess if fit)
Giteau
Turner
JOC (James O'Connor)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Shepherd
Beale

Dunning
Charles
Vickerman / Wykes
Hodgson
Stannard
McCabe
Cummins

The obvious question marks are lock and wing. I'm all for throwing Vickerman in the deep end and seeing what happens. We need to know. Failing that we need a genuine locking contender, probably Wykes, although it would be interesting to see how Timani goes.

On the wing, Turner is a genuine contender if all the Reds wingers go down so he should get a run. He won't let the side down and is due a return to form. Shepherd deserves the other spot and will also be a contender if he stays fit. McCabe and Cummins are both a bit less good than those two so they go on the bench.

Stannard seems a standout to me as reserve halfback.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think if there are any Reds players in the squad, none of them should play 80 minutes. If they start, they should be swapped early, but playing from the bench would be a good option too.

Yes in principle, but what of the Reds players that in effect had a good break before only recently returning from injury and thus no risk of burn-out as would apply to Genia, Copper, etc.?

I am thinking of Robinson, Davies, Slipper (if fit), etc...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd be happy to see Genia and Cooper play 50 minutes or so, enough to run the combinations, test their gameplan and just get a run.

I don't think three weeks off in between 18 games is enough, mentally or physically.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes in principle, but what of the Reds players that in effect had a good break before only recently returning from injury and thus no risk of burn-out as would apply to Genia, Copper, etc.?

I am thinking of Robinson, Davies, Slipper (if fit), etc...

Slipper would be a definite inclusion if fit.

H

high tower

My turn

1: robbo
2: Moore
3: Alexander
4: vicks
5: sharpe
6: elsom (he says he will be fit) otherwise dennis (might as well find out now)
7: hodgeson
8 : mccalman
9: Phipps (think Burgos is still out)
10: Beale (controversial)
11: Cummins - McCabe
12: JOC (James O'Connor) (pipe dream) - Giteau
13: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Gerrard
14: turner - JOC (James O'Connor)
15: Sheperd - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Reasoning behind Beale at 10: we will build a game around QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, and it is a game few can replicate. The only one who comes close is Beale. If we lose QC (Quade Cooper) midway through a big game, we will have to change our complete game plan to suit the new 10 (gits) which is too disruptive. I think we should be developing Beale to be the 10 backup.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's half the point of the site, right?

Swapping Beale for Cooper makes sense to me, his only developing at Wallaby level as a 10 having played 25+ super games there already.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Beale as he is probably the deputy 15 , Gerrard was kept on the bench for Rats yesterday and only played 30 minutes at centre after been picked at 15 while Phil Blake the Wallaby skills coach looked on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gerrard won't make Deans' squad...

He was in better form in 2008/2009 and Deans wasn't interested then...

We should also play those available in their best positions...

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
would like to see Deans pick a B squad to get some combinations/see how some rookies might go but hasnt he siad he will just play his best 15 till the WC?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Hmm I don't really think Beale offers a similar cover for Cooper at all. Cooper plays a game that no one else in the world can. Even if Beale could play like Cooper at 10, I would be going for a different style of flyhalf as a backup anyway to mix up the game plans a bit.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hmm I don't really think Beale offers a similar cover for Cooper at all. Cooper plays a game that no one else in the world can. Even if Beale could play like Cooper at 10, I would be going for a different style of flyhalf as a backup anyway to mix up the game plans a bit.

That's a good point. I wonder what kind of flyhalf that should be? I'd say a classical distributor, which would still let us exploit our runners but a bit more narrowly. Barnes would probably be ideal. Not Giteau, although arguably he is the next cab off the rank. Actually the 2011 model Giteau might not be so bad.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Alexander (assuming Kepu is still out)
4. Wykes (Vickerman hasn't played enough yet for a start)
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom (hasn't played much either but it's more important to get him up to speed than Vickerman)
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps (assuming Burgess is out)
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. McCabe
12. Gits
14. Shepard
15. Beale

16. Dunning
17. Charles
18. Vickerman
19. Brown
20. Sheehan
21. Lealiifano
22. Cummins

I'd pretty much agree with this, but I'd give Vickerman a start and make him run till he slows to see what he's got.

Give Wykes 20 mins, we know he can play 80.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 10: I like it!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I reckon RD will play a full strength Wallabies. Too short a warm up for the RWC, can't waste games dicking around and by now he knows who offers what.

The only non incumbents I can see getting a run would be Samo in place of Palu, as I just don't think we get enough from McCalman, and maybe another 6 depending on Rocky's fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.