• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve-O

Pettowa Paraka was Aus schools prop last year so expect him to feature there somewhere as was hooker Maile Ngauamo. Browing at lock and Sautia no.13, if fit, are a shoo in.
I think Timu will get the no.8 spot with the form he has been in.
For the no.12 spot, i think its up to grabs. NSW 1 centre has impressed me but no sure if up to Aus schools, mabye A. Johnson from qld 1 i think is to one dimensional.

A

attack21

From speaking to a couple of people today and from what i have already seen of these players - Kovacic could be in with a shot. Apparently he played well Wednesday and was abrasive and mobile yesterday. Le Lievre and Barclay both ok with the ball in hand (although Gus runs himself in to trouble a bit too often for my liking), but both are poor defenders. In particular Barclay struggled for GPS 1s, his deficiencies have been glaring at this next step up.

Are you sure Hall actually went? I know he was being talked about but i think they brought in a kid from one of the Queensland schools
15. Northam

completely agree with you there, but from what i have been told there are not alot of standout fullbacks around, and as said in an earlier post le lievre has been consistent so a definite chance for aus a... kovacic deserves to get picked not just from the form in the championships but his work in other games, great leader on and off the ball, someone you want in your team...
northam definitely put himself forward in the last game as a force to be reckoned with, and has outplayed gutherson in one outing rumour is. gutherson still has another year to go, so i assume he will be around next year's aus schoolboys selections...
as for hall, as a joeys supporter i have been reliably been told he is at the championships...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pettowa Paraka was Aus schools prop last year so expect him to feature there somewhere as was hooker Maile Ngauamo. Browing at lock and Sautia no.13, if fit, are a shoo in.
I think Timu will get the no.8 spot with the form he has been in.
For the no.12 spot, i think its up to grabs. NSW 1 centre has impressed me but no sure if up to Aus schools, mabye A. Johnson from qld 1 i think is to one dimensional.

Paraka only made QLD I last year, Ngauamo is IMO the frontrunner for #2 and should get selection based on what I've seen of him. Timu has been a standout however by the sounds of it Wells has been the choice #8 for Oz schools and should gain selection in that position, Timu is an experienced #6 and played blindside for QLD I last year, I'd expect him to go to #6 in an ideal backrow. Sautia and Browning will surely walk into the team if fit but I doubt Sautia will come good just quietly. As for the #12 spot, IMO it is the most open spot in the squad could go to anyone, Johnson is as you say abit too one dimensional but from all reports isn't being challenged too much south of the boarder. Brogan Roads or Scarano would be my choice.

G

GT Army

Can someone please post a summary and review of the game? I woke up 2 hours late for it not even knowing the time of the game, poor publicity i say

O

Old Offside No7

Teams announced ... only heard No7s so far;

Aust Schoolboys – Baldwin
Aust A – Walters

Don’t know reserves yet but Broome missed out altogether – big shock!! Was advised that he has apparently fallen off a number of tackles in previous games this week. The same happened today plus a number of penalties. Maybe his smaller size has him struggling at this level & the selectors are looking at the future with the other No7s.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can anybody give results on the 3rd, 5th and 7th place playoffs? Scores/reviews would be great but I really just want to know who won.

B

baldingwingforward

Can anybody give results on the 3rd, 5th and 7th place playoffs? Scores/reviews would be great but I really just want to know who won.

I know that NSW 2s won the 5th place play off 24-16 or similar.

Stuff the scores though - someone post the squads! They have been announced and from what i hear some very interesting/strange selections and ommissions. I only know a few of the players so i won't bother posting an incomplete list, but certainly a few in there who i wouldn't have thought would be close. Good luck to them!

Someone post the squads...

R

rugby eye

I know that NSW 2s won the 5th place play off 24-16 or similar.

Stuff the scores though - someone post the squads! They have been announced and from what i hear some very interesting/strange selections and ommissions. I only know a few of the players so i won't bother posting an incomplete list, but certainly a few in there who i wouldn't have thought would be close. Good luck to them!

Someone post the squads...

can you just give us the names you rememeber?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
*Apparently* Andrew Robinson (centre) and Tom Cusack (injured for tournament but was in starting side last year, backrow) from ACT have been selected.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland Schools have iced an historic week for Rugby in the Sunshine State, defeating NSW I 37-20 in the final of the Novotel Australian Schools Rugby Union Championships at Ballymore in Brisbane on Sunday.

Hours after the Queensland Reds held aloft the Super Rugby trophy, Queensland Schools extended their dominance at the national championships, fighting back from a 10-point deficit at halftime to topple NSW five-tries-to-three to claim an impressive sixth-straight title.

Victorious coach Carl Marshall from Brisbane Grammar School said his side had drawn plenty of inspiration from the newly-crowned Super Rugby champions.

“We went to the final last night as a group and I certainly think the Reds victory inspired our boys,” Marshall said.

“At halftime we were trailing 20-10 and hadn’t had much possession but we believed we were the better team and we backed ourselves to win.

“We regrouped in the second half, got back to our game plan of playing direct and it came together for us which was great.”

Queensland were aptly rewarded for winning the Jika Travers Shield with eight players selected in the Australian Schoolboys side which will take on England at St Ignatius College, Riverview in Sydney on 28 August.

NSW, however, will field the most representatives in the side with 10 players selected.

Brisbane State High School pair - centre Chris F’Sautia and lock Curtis Browning - have been rewarded for standout performances at the championships with selection in the national squad for a third-consecutive year.

F’Sautia is the most capped Australian Schoolboy in history with 11 caps and has played every game for the representative side since 2009, while Browning, the grandson of former Wallaby Dick Marks, has eight caps.

Marist College backrower Tom Cusack returns for this second year alongside Ipswich Grammar hooker Maile Nguamo and St Ignatius College backrower Michael Wells while Endeavour Sports HS halfback Waldo Wessels and St Augustine College lock Rhys Dombkins have graduated from the 2010 Australia A side into the first team this year.

St Francis College forward Feao Fotuakai is perhaps the rags to riches story of national section. He was playing No.8 for the Combined High Schools second side during the QRFSU Open Schoolboy Trials last month before earning a call-up into the Queensland I side for the national champs. He scored a try in today’s final and has been selected in coach Stephen Phillpotts’ side as a tighthead prop.

Australian Schools squad to play England Under 18 at St Ignatius College, Sydney 28 Aug 2pm

Alan Ala'alatoa (Newington College), Mark Baldwin (Newington College), Brogan Roods (Newington College), Curtis Browning (BSHS), Chris F'Sautia (Brisbane State High School), Tom Cusack (Marist College Canberra), Rhys Dombkins (St Augustine’s College), Allan Faalavau (Dandenong High School), Feao Fotuakai (St Francis College), David Horwitz (The Scots College), Jim Stewart (The Scots College), Feleti Kaituu (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Sean McMahon (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Benjamin Lawley (Knox Grammar School), Scott Malolua (Marist College Ashgrove), Jake McIntyre (Alstonville High School), Maile Ngauamo (Ipswich Grammar School), Alex Northam (Killarney Heights HS), Harry Scoble (Wanneroo SHS), Saia Tanginoa (Prairewood HS), Caleb Timu (Marsden SHS), Michael Wells (St Ignatius’ College), Waldo Wessels (Endeavour SHS). Andrew Elliot(Manager) Stephen Phillpotts (Coach), Paul Geddes (Asst Manager), Tim Rapp (Asst Coach), William Maher (Physiotherapist), Dr Michael McLean (Doctor)

Australia A Schools Squad to Play England Under 18 at Oakhill College, Sydney 24 Aug 3pm

James Caterson (Endeavour Sports HS), Jack Debreczeni (Trinity Grammar School), Richard Hardwick (Churchlands SHS), Craig Hunt (St Joseph’s Nudgee), Tom Moloney (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Sam Johnson (St Edmund’s College), Fa’atausili Lafaitele (Victoria Point SHS), Angus Le Lievre (St Joseph’s College), Ephraim Lesa (Lalor Secondary School), Patrick McCarthy (Aquinas College), Jock Merriman (Shore School), Will Miller (The Scots College), Andrew Robinson (St Mary McKillop College), Harry Rorke (St Ignatius College), Jonathan Vaux (St Ignatius College), Nathan Roye (Newington College), Nathan Scarano (Knox Grammar School), Tautala Tasi (Ipswich Grammar School), Corey Thomas (Guildford Grammar School), Scott Tolmie (Cyril Jackson SHS), Campbell Wakely (The Southport School), Terrin Walls (St Patrick’s College), Jack Walters (The Scots College), John Rownes (Manager), Jarred Hodges (Coach), Peter Gibson (Asst Coach), Tom Lombardo (Physiotherapist)

O

Old Offside No7

Teams announced ... only heard No7s so far;

Aust Schoolboys – Baldwin
Aust A – Walters

Don’t know reserves yet but Broome missed out altogether – big shock!! Was advised that he has apparently fallen off a number of tackles in previous games this week. The same happened today plus a number of penalties. Maybe his smaller size has him struggling at this level & the selectors are looking at the future with the other No7s.

Need to correct ... these guys only selected in squads & not necessarily run on No7s. Congrats to all boys selected

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Props: Alan Ala'alatoa (Newington College), Feao Fotuakai (St Francis College), Feleti Kaituu (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Benjamin Lawley (Knox Grammar School)
Hookers: Maile Ngauamo (Ipswich Grammar School)
Second Row: Curtis Browning (BSHS), Rhys Dombkins (St Augustine’s College)
Blinsides: Caleb Timu (Marsden SHS), Tom Cusack (Marist College Canberra)
Opensides: Mark Baldwin (Newington College),
Number 8's: Sean McMahon (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Michael Wells (St Ignatius’ College)
Half Backs: Scott Malolua (Marist College Ashgrove), Waldo Wessels (Endeavour SHS)
Fly Halfs: David Horwitz (The Scots College), Jake McIntyre (Alstonville High School)
Centres: Brogan Roods (Newington College), Jim Stewart (The Scots College)
Wings: Alex Northam (Killarney Heights HS), Saia Tanginoa (Prairewood HS)
Fullback: Chris F'Sautia (Brisbane State High School)

I Don't Knows: Allan Faalavau (Dandenong High School) - Assuming a hooker based on name and other players., Harry Scoble (Wanneroo SHS) - Assuming fullback?,

J

jddd

still dumfounded how the team can be filled with nsw players yet qld beat them? anyone know any reasons for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.