• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia's Greatest Professional "Clubman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think we all know what we would consider a terrific "Clubman".

Someone that lives and breaths for the team/province/club they associate themselves with, we all know a heap of these people at our local clubs.

But who is Australia's Great Professional Clubman, the players that's love of their organisations well and truly transents being just a job.

I'd have to say TPN would be number 1 but Horwill's passionate last night really made my blood boil. What do you fellas and lasses think?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Now that Phil Waugh is gone, I'd say Big Kevy Horwill takes number 1 spot, with Nathan Sharpe a close second.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Funny in Queensland Sharpe is called lots of things. Club-man is not one of them.

He has been pretty great for the Force which is my opinion has benefited Aussie rugby more than anything he could have done at the Reds.

I can obviously understand why there would be Queensland animosity though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sharpie is loved like a true son of WA over here. As enforcer said, I can understand why he wouldn't be liked in QLD these days, but we love him here.

Kev and TPN would be others in the mix.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It went along the lines of that he didn't care how low Reds rugby got but it is the only franchise he wants to play for.

T

tranquility

David Pocock for mind.

The hardest working athlete in Australia.

Despite all his family living in QLD, there is no chance in the world that I can see of him leaving the Perth franchise.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Now that Phil Waugh is gone, I'd say Big Kevy Horwill takes number 1 spot, with Nathan Sharpe a close second.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but Phil Waugh personifies the definition above.

Sure Waugh gave everything for State and Country. At one stage the same could be said about his club too. However in the last years he has been uninterested and distinctly average for many of the games he has played for Uni. Sure he might occasionally sally up for the final, but a lot of people who play there think they are better off without him as he doesn't put in a quarter of what he does for the tahs.

Fair enough to the man as well. It is a huge step down and it must be hard to play with the same intensity. He is not playing for the same reasons as everyone else in the shute shield. The other 1st graders are young guns playing for super contracts and the older ones know this is as good as it will get for them so they play hard every week.

I don't hold it against him, he has done more than any professional player for NSW. However the shute shield is a great comp and you should really only run out there if your heart is still in it.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
I know he is retired but, Sean Hardman deserves a mention for exactly the same reasons as Greg Holmes. They both have my infinite respect and gratitude.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
TPN. Sticking by the Parramatta Two-Blues despite the tremendous hardships, both financial and result-wise. The 'fro is testament to his commitment, nobody comes close IMO. Players like Horwill and Waugh stick by their S15 club, but TPN has stood right by Rugby's grassroots.

Status
Not open for further replies.