• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Is Timani signed to play Super Rugby next year? It seems odd that they can select a player from the Japan club comp to play for the Wallabies.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Do we have a ref assigned for this? Steve Walsh needs to get a few under his belt in time for the RWC in 60 days time.

M

Maroon Army

Is Timani signed to play Super Rugby next year? It seems odd that they can select a player from the Japan club comp to play for the Wallabies.

Timani has just completed a full season with the Tah's, which makes him eligible for the Wobs. Where he plays after his commitment with the Wobs is finished is completely irrelevant. If Matt Giteau is allowed to play for Australia, why not Timani?

:edit: Apologies about the condescending tone. :-[

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Timani has just completed a full season with the Tah's, which makes him eligible for the Wobs. Where he plays after his commitment with the Wobs is finished is completely irrelevant. If Matt Giteau is allowed to play for Australia, why not Timani?

:edit: Apologies about the condescending tone. :-[

I think the contract he has in Japan was already meant to start, but he is delaying it because of his selection in the squad. Not quite the same as Giteau's situation, but I couldn't care less either way.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bit unrelated, but who are the Wallabies' sponsors this season? I remember sitting through millions of Wolf Blass and Bundaberg Rum ads not to long ago, do we have to do it all again this year?

T

TheNextBigThing

Bit unrelated, but who are the Wallabies' sponsors this season? I remember sitting through millions of Wolf Blass and Bundaberg Rum ads not to long ago, do we have to do it all again this year?

Just reminded me of Wolf Blass. It'd always get on my nerves seeing the Wallabies being thumped/making stupid mistakes/decisions and then being told that they're "always at their peak."

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He also plays a little like a flanker at the breakdown and can pilfer us the ball, and I don't think there is another centre in Aus that does this.

Assuming the FF (Folau Fainga'a) stats can be believed, we are talking about 3 pilfers in the season, which was the most by an Aussie Centre. TC next at 2, McCabe 1. Having said that I am not overly confident on the FF (Folau Fainga'a) stat count; Pocock made 6, and yet according to the Top 20 stats released a month back Pocock made 12.

He's in the squad, so hopefully he gets a fair chance to show what he can do. My money is on McCabe ahead of him though.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With the shit music too following that stupid bird. Must congratulate Bundaberg Rum after their rendition of 'I vow to thee my country'. This should be it's own thread haha just remembered the 'true colours' one back during RWC 2003.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Wallabies XV

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/b...knee-in-training/story-e6frf4pu-1226093257137
Australia have suffered a blow ahead of Sunday's season-opening rugby Test against Manu Samoa with prop Benn Robinson injuring his right knee at training in Sydney.

Robinson injured his knee while setting off for a run and looked to be in some pain when he limped from the field late in the training session.

He immediately iced the injury and will be further assessed by the side's doctor on Tuesday night.

Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom was restricted to light duties and trained away from the main group, but officials say he has overcome his ankle injury and will be available for selection.

David Pocock was another missing from the main opposed session, with the Wallabies wary of a troublesome foot injury he sustained in the Super Rugby season.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said in the lead-up to the Super Rugby final he would look at resting some of Queensland's players for the Samoa clash, depending on their workload throughout the finals.

Deans appears to be acting on his word, with Reds playmakers Quade Cooper and Will Genia both sitting out the training session after joining the squad on Tuesday.

Reds captain James Horwill, Scott Higginbotham and the Fainga'a twins were also kept on the sidelines.

The Wallabies' first Tri-Nations encounter against South Africa comes just six days after the opening Test of the season.

Australia will name their squad for the clash with Samoa on Wednesday.

Much of the interest will surround the team's fullback, with Mark Gerrard training in the position despite the fact Kurtley Beale was fit and also completed the session.

Looks like this Wallabies team could be vastly different to the one most people expected. Losing Robinson is a big blow, especially when you factor in the loss of both Kepu and Slipper. Good to see some Reds getting a bit of a rest, it'd be a massive ask for them to back up and then head into a 3N on top of an impending Rugby World Cup. By the looks of this article, the Wallabies will go into this match without our first-choice #1, #2, #3, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #15. Wonder what Deans will do?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's becoming more and more likely that Dean's will send out a second string XV. There is no point sending out 3 of our best players if they are going to be outmatched physically be Samoa a week out from the tri-nations. I'd be resting as many as possible, won't do our combinations any harm.
Could easily go (1-15):
Alexander, Moore, Kepu, Sharpe, Vickerman, Elsom (C), Hodgson, Dennis, Phipps, Giteau, Turner, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), O'Connor, Gerrard. Would still easily win, I'd have Timani starting but Vickerman will probably get the gig due to his need for match fitness.

Maybe this was the thinking behind Ma'afu and Mumm.. Use them for these type of matches in order to avoid our first choicers getting injured.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Seriously, Rocky is still training lightly? He makes Victor Matfield look like a nubile 20 yr old.

I hope we have access to industrial quantities of cotton wool over the next 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.