• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Aussie crowds are no worse than Kiwi crowds IMO. At least they don't have chainsaw noises when visitors kick for goal.

Back in the day I was at Lancaster Park in Christchurch and the All Blacks had just finished a tour to Oz. They played a game against Canterbury and the Christchurch crowd booed the All Blacks notwithstanding that there were Canterbury players in the team.

By the way: Canterbury won.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
In regards to the Peter Bills article I agree with the part about it being poor to boo the kicker but thats my personal preference. However, to single out the Queensland crowd and then cast that over Aus rugby fans in general is a bit rich. It tells me it was just a typical article aimed at getting a reaction more than anything the comments from people at the bottom of the article shows it did its purpose.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of my favourite moments, Jono Lance running back one kick-off (I think, fairly sure it was a kick-off anyway) straight at SBW whom he sent flying onto his backside and then broke the next tackle of Fruean - just sensational stuff!

That was my favourite moment. It was straight after Quade put us in front 3-0 & the Crusaders kicked off.

If anyone has the game taped you've got to watch it in slow mo he really smashed the pair of them.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Neutral journalist Peter Bills of the Independent bagged the Qld crowd.

But two other things need to be said. The Crusaders remain a top class outfit and a credit to their shattered, broken city. Their play has given immense heart to their followers. How sad then that thousands and thousands of so-called Australian rugby 'supporters' could only boo and jeer when Dan Carter, one of the world's greatest players and a magnificent ambassador for his sport, lined up kicks at goal on Saturday.

It is to be hoped that New Zealand and South African supporters take note. Don't sink to the abysmal levels of the Queensland crowd in the home Tri-Nations games in the next few weeks and, in the case of the New Zealanders, in the World Cup this September/October. Show the world what true sportsmanship is about.

Thoughts?

While I find booing the kicker distasteful I'd also like to point out that Crusaders fans were also booing when Quade lined up to kick for goal & every game that I have attended which featured a New Zealand team has had the same happen, Kiwis can hardly call the moral high ground here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks, I guess there's a reason no-one's ever seen him - did Genia play about 99.99999999% of all min this season?

As an aside, did anyone notice when Ioane scored Horwill was second in and looked like he was giving him a mouthful for his shower celebration - I remember thinking that would look really stupid if they lost.

Don't think that's what happened at all. To me I reckon he says "COME ON COME ON"

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/BMAEventGroup#p/a/u/0/dHqwlc8cyQo[/video]

S

Sweetmusicman

My view on Bryce is that he was utterly incompetent as usual. He lost control of the breakdown in about the 3rd minute and never got it back. Call me a troll if you like, but some of Richie's atrocities were beyoind belief.

The funny thing is that Bryce's uselessness materially contributed to the Reds' win. Because it made the game a free-for-all. If he had blown an extra 8 penalties per side, the Crusaders would have won the game throiugh set pieces and goal kicking.

The decision to appoint him, however, remains mysterious.

And I cant believe that some people calling it genius! My goodness he admit that he is slowing the ball down deliberately! Appearently he go as far to say that if the referees dont penalise him for that he is not going to stop doing it. My goodness what happened to having integrity/dignity as a captain? This is not the type of captain I would be proud of- a captain who will do anything for a win, even if it means cheating. You dont keep on committing crime because you dont get caught. And yess once a rule/law prohibs you to do a certain thing it becomes a crime once it is broken.

The likes of McCaw and Suarez(soccer player) dont belong in sport. Imagine how many kids are watching them play.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
And I cant believe that some people calling it genius! My goodness he admit that he is slowing the ball down dileberately! Appearently he go as far to say that if the referees dont penalise him for that he is not going to stop doing it. My goodness what happened to having integrity/dignity as a captain? This is not the type of captain I would be proud of- a captain who will do anything for a win, even if it means cheating. You dont keep on committing crime because you dont get caught. And yess once a rule/law prohibs you to do a certain thing it becomes a crime once it is broken.

The likes of McCaw and Suarez(soccer player) dont belong in sport. Imagine how many kids are watching them play.

I don't agree. Our sport is unique as the rules are open to interpretation more than most. McCaw is so good because he realises that you need to push the boundaries in every game as every game is refereed slightly differently.

This is smart. What would be dumb is assuming you know how the ref is going to interpret each incident in the game and then play accordingly. What if the ref has an entirely different viewpoint on an incident in the game.

McCaw has integrity and dignity. Look at his 2 most recent post game speeches V's the Reds.

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Seriously? Every player in the world should be pushing the boundaries of the Laws as much as they can.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't agree. Our sport is unique as the rules are open to interpretation more than most. McCaw is so good because he realises that you need to push the boundaries in every game as every game is refereed slightly differently.

This is smart. What would be dumb is assuming you know how the ref is going to interpret each incident in the game and then play accordingly. What if the ref has an entirely different viewpoint on an incident in the game.

McCaw has integrity and dignity. Look at his 2 most recent post game speeches V's the Reds.

Agreed. I don't know why Kiwis take it as an insult when the articles on posts and McCaw's cheating appear, or try to defend it. He does cheat, he admits it, he's better at it than anyone. I just wish he was a Saffer :(

S

Sweetmusicman

Speaking of which, he said and I qoute, "The Reds probably deserved to win" Now that doesnt sound too gratious in defeat! Dont ya think?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watching McCaw's speech, it struck me at the time he was very gracious. In the context of the speech, he said "probably" in a pretty off-hand way, and listening to the whole thing I don't think he was inferring the Reds didn't deserve it at all, given that in the same sentence he made note of their whole season and where they sat on the table for most of it. I think people looking for offence in it are trying too hard.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Richie's all right. Anyone who got into that big, fat South African spectator who wanted to belt the Irish ref years ago is all right by me. As someone else said - you want ungracious, listen to Gallen the Grub's post match speech in the state of origin.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)

Not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.