• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Take Captaincy off Elsom: Tim Horan (Foxsports article)

Who Should Be Aus Captain

• Rocky Elsom

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Will Genia

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • James Horwill

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • David Pocock

Votes: 29 34.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
sorry scotty, besides your first line there, how do you know he talks more and on what basis do players care more about him than elsom?

Richie Mccaw hasnt played yet and are the all blacks even questioning it.
Elsom is the best six in the country and if he is even near form at the end of super rugby there isnt a decision to be made.

So I can't use the words 'I suspect' indicating a hunch I have, but you can compare Elsom to McCaw?

I distinctly remember several times during the EYOT where Pocock was giving a rev up to the forwards at stoppages. I don't recall Elsom doing much of it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
But in my opinion the benefits are not incredibly obvious, and thus it is a risk not worth taking. Improvement MAY be possible by changing the captain, but the amount of improvement would not be that much compared with the potential damage to dressing room dynamics and team ethos if the new captain is not weel liked or respected.

The poll indicates that there is no obvious successor to Rocky, and because of this I don't want to be fucking around with different captains in a world cup year.

It seems to have changed a bit now.

T

TheTruth

Even when Rocky is fit and playing well, the question remains Is he a good captain with the skills required on and off the field

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So I can't use the words 'I suspect' indicating a hunch I have, but you can compare Elsom to McCaw?

I distinctly remember several times during the EYOT where Pocock was giving a rev up to the forwards at stoppages. I don't recall Elsom doing much of it.

throwing out that the players respect someone more than someone else would indicate you knew something. Elsom is the wallaby captain, i didnt compare him to waugh, i compared the situations. by which both captains havnt played a game yet, were talking abotu stabbing ours in the back, while NZ would never think about it.

people on here saying someone A gave the pep talks not Elsom, while B gave the rev ups do so based mostly on television coverage, i.e. you have no friken idea what is actually said done, or who has the responsability to do what.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
throwing out that the players respect someone more than someone else would indicate you knew something. Elsom is the wallaby captain, i didnt compare him to waugh, i compared the situations. by which both captains havnt played a game yet, were talking abotu stabbing ours in the back, while NZ would never think about it.

people on here saying someone A gave the pep talks not Elsom, while B gave the rev ups do so based mostly on television coverage, i.e. you have no friken idea what is actually said done, or who has the responsability to do what.

Goodness you have a short memory. There was plenty of stabbing Rueben Thorne in the back when he was captain.

Of course they aren't going to do it to McCaw, he is likely the best captain and player they have ever had. Your post compared Elsom and McCaw's situations, therefore compared their standings in the game. I'm merely pointing out that McCaw deserves and hell of a lot more leeway and respect with his record as captain and player of the All Blacks than Elsom does as captain and player of the Wallabies.

I give up if you can't see a difference!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Goodness you have a short memory. There was plenty of stabbing Rueben Thorne in the back when he was captain.

Of course they aren't going to do it to McCaw, he is likely the best captain and player they have ever had. Your post compared Elsom and McCaw's situations, therefore compared their standings in the game. I'm merely pointing out that McCaw deserves and hell of a lot more leeway and respect with his record as captain and player of the All Blacks than Elsom does as captain and player of the Wallabies.

I give up if you can't see a difference!

i see the difference fine, i was stating my opinion based on current situations, not those form a few years ago. i would like to know on what basis if its more than "i saw him talking not elsom" the players respect pocock more than rocky? its a pretty big statement.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Currently sitting on top of the Australian table...

It reeks of provincial bias... it's just like when Bob Dwyer suggested in 2006 that the entire Australian forward pack should be Waratahs...

Well if Waugh or Mumm were definite selections in the Wallaby 22 I'm sure Horan would have suggested them as well. But they are not, and are far from it in my fantastic opinion.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Elsom hasn't done anything to lose his position or the captaincy, and it's just poor form from Horan to write this kind of rubbish about a player who is currently not playing due to injury.

Any criticism about his form or leadership should only be made once he's back playing again.

And what makes this article more cringeworthy is that he conveniently offers up two Reds as alternatives.

Elsom hasn't done anything this year at all!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I've been critical of Rocky's captaincy, and genuinely wish it had gone to someone else, but i've come to accept unless he goes down with an injury that will hold him out till after the world cup, he will be the captain.

Hopefully as a group they can overcome Rocky's inept referee management and draw some inspiration from a bloke that appears to have the leadership style of a startled buffalo.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Tim Horan and Brendan Cannon are an absolute joke. If you watch the rugby club all you hear is QLD this QLD that. Their continued inability to put forward anyone who isn't from QLD just makes them sound like the Red's version of Jeremy Paul.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Horan's backflip on Elsom is a joke. I loved him as a player but as a commintator he is a pitiful joke and really should do his homework before opening his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.