• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I heard the same story quite a while ago (don't remember where, but it was earlier this year), then I didn't hear anything further so I put it in the unsubstantiated rumour bucket.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We've essentially got a brand new team, a new coaching regime, and a possible new major sponsor...

I propose a new jersey as well to go with the rest of the change...

The 2010-2011 Kooga design was really just the same as the ISC one of 2006 - 2009 but with silly gold bar shoulders, and a complete abomination of the heritage jersey...

Let's go into the next season completely fresh, with no reminders of the past couple of years...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
We've essentially got a brand new team, a new coaching regime, and a possible new major sponsor...

I propose a new jersey as well to go with the rest of the change...

The 2010-2011 Kooga design was really just the same as the ISC one of 2006 - 2009 but with silly gold bar shoulders, and a complete abomination of the heritage jersey...

Let's go into the next season completely fresh, with no reminders of the past couple of years...

[FONT=&quot]Canberra Stadium will also have its first naming sponsor for next year I believe, changes aplenty around Brumbyland. Don't agree on altering the jersey though.[/FONT]

T

tranquility

Jake's cottoned on to the old Aussie trick very quickly: found young Rory an Australian grandmother somewhere.

Ozzy rugby is so resourceful. This bloke probably just came out to drink a few beers, and get a tan and he ends up with a super contract. Any stray mid 20 kiwis, jump on board. Keep it up lads we need someone to place for the Force and Rebels.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think you will find that he has been at a few places but not played in many games. It would beg the question why is he here playing club rugby if he was going well over there? Which means two things - he was injured a lot or was not good enough - young enough to improve tho

He's a prop who is 24 or so. Given that props usually mature much later than fancy backs and are in their prime from 27-30, I would suggest that its a bit early to call. Unless of course he's Deans material, in which case he's much too old for anything but the old folks home.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I can't find any reports to bak it up but someone over at PR stated that the Brumbies have lost CA as their major sponsor...

It would be a shame because it's one of the least overbearing logos to have on the front of a jersey... Or at the start of the team name...

I'm not sure if DHL Brumbies has the same ring to it?

A lot of software companies doing poorly at this time... It would be a shame , I thought they had signed for a few years.

N

Neil

Tomane targets Brumbies' No13
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
05 Aug, 2011 04:00 AM
Joseph Tomane hopes getting an early release from his NRL contract will accelerate his bid to be the ACT Brumbies midfield wrecking ball next year.
And while Tomane arrived in Canberra yesterday, Brumbies coach Jake White will finalise his 30-man roster today when he announces his last four recruits.

Despite being six months out from the start of the season, White has already ramped up preparation for his first Super Rugby campaign.

In major news:

Leon Power, Zack Holmes, Tevita Kuridrani and speedster Tom Cox will be unveiled as the last four players on the full-time roster today;

Tomane was granted a release by NRL club the Gold Coast Titans to start training with the Brumbies and will play for the Uni-Norths Owls tomorrow, and;

Peter Kimlin will have an arthroscopy on his knee today and will be sidelined for at least six weeks.
Whites full-time squad is now complete, but he still has five wider training-group contracts available which are expected to be filled in the next three weeks.

Rugby league convert Tomane is banking on a stint with the Owls in Canberras premier rugby competition to boost his chances of winning the Brumbies No13 jersey.

Given Tomane has played just three games for the Titans this season, the Gold Coast released him from the final weeks of his contract to join the Brumbies.

He will waste no time trying to impress White when he suits up for the Owls against Easts at Griffith Oval tomorrow.

But after four years as a centre for the Titans and Melbourne Storm, Tomane admitted to being nervous before his rugby comeback in the John I Dent Cup.

"The game's changed a lot since I last played when I was 17, there are a few rules Im not familiar [with]," Tomane said.

"But I've got Jake White, Stephen Larkham and George Gregan - three of the best in the game so I'm confident they will get me where I need to be.

"I'm really excited, I just cant wait to rip in.

"It's going to be a challenge, but I think I'm up to it."

The soft-spoken 21-year-old will play with the Owls for the rest of the John I Dent Cup season.

He will join the Brumbies at their next off-season camp at Narrabeen from August 15 and hopes his early arrival in the capital will give him the head start he needs to make an impact in Super Rugby.

Tomane made the painful decision to request an early release from the Titans, who have five games remaining in their horror 2011 NRL campaign and sit last on the ladder. Tomanes comeback from a shoulder injury has limited him to three games this season.

He damaged nerves in his shoulder last year and said he struggled to regain confidence after his return to the field.

"My form hasnt been up to scratch this year, I've only got myself to blame," he said.

"The confidence wasnt there in the shoulder but it's feeling a lot better now, it's stronger and it shouldn't be a problem.

"It was a really tough decision leaving the Titans early, I felt bad leaving the boys and especially with the way our season is turning out.

"I kind of wish I had stayed up there, but at the end of the day, I've got to do what's best for me and I'm looking for a fresh start down here."

Tomane was a schoolboy rugby star and made the Australian team in 2007.

The Storm saw his potential and poached him before he could make an impact as a senior rugby player.

Now Tomane has his sights set on the vacant outside centre spot for the Brumbies and he wants to be a blockbusting No13.

"Hopefully I can bring a power game, we just have to wait and see how the coaching staff want to mould me and use me," he said.

"I'm not thinking too far ahead, Id like to cement a spot at 13. But first Ive got to get myself into the 22."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
very fast winger from up here. Used to be on the Sunshine Coast. Sitting on the bench for Uni this week (behind Rocket Davies and Tevita Kuridrani. Cat A will know more about him.

So 3 new wingers for the Brumbies. All from QLD, in fact all contracted by the Reds. Plus Joe Tamone.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I thought Tomane would be sensational in league. A few years back he was the best player of the Oz Schools tournament in Canberra IMO and superior to Morahan Snr who had a quiet week on the other wing.

It will be interesting how the rugby commentators pronounced his name if he gets on the park. The league guys pronounced it Toe-MAIN.

Rugby Reg

How many more young Queensland outside backs to come south do you think?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Gee that is good work by Cox. Uni obviously saw something in him when they dragged him down from the Sunny Coast this year. Seems to be a Qld Uni - Brumbies connection there somewhere....Chapman, Moore and now Kuridrani and Cox.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Four more sign with Brumbies Rugby

It's still more than six months until the first kick-off of the 2012
Super Rugby season, but CA Technologies Brumbies Head Coach Jake White
has finalised his squad with the acquisition of four new players on
Friday.

Tom Cox (wing), Zac Holmes (utility back), Tevita Kuridrani (outside
backs) and Leon Power (lock) have all committed to contracts with the CA
Technologies Brumbies for the next two seasons.

Cox, Holmes and Kuridrani all impressed CA Technologies Brumbies
coaching staff at the team's most recent training camp in Narrabeen. Cox
and Kuridrani will move from Queensland where they represent the
University of Queensland while Holmes has been impressive for Northern
Suburbs in Sydney's Shute Shield.

Kuridrani has previously represented Australia at Sevens after moving to
Queensland from his native Fiji. A strong, robust ball barrier with good
vision and rugby skills, Kuridrani will be used to make ground over the
advantage line and combine with the likes of Matt To'omua and Christian
Lealiifano.

A former member of the Reds Academy, Kuridrani is the third player to
come to Canberra from the Reds for the 2012 Super Rugby season with Ian
Prior and Kimami Sitauti.

Holmes is another product of the Australian Sevens program having grown
up playing rugby in Perth. Now perfecting his trade as a Shoreman with
fellow Brumby Cam Crawford, Holmes' diversity as a player will allow
Brumbies Rugby coaching staff to use him at flyhalf, fullback or even on
the wing.

A stocky play-maker with thick set legs and strong upper body, Holmes
elusive ball carries complement his quality kicking game - both long and
short - as well as his ability to kick for goal.

Cox has been picked from the Queensland competition after displaying
blistering pace at the Brumbies Rugby camp at Narrabeen. Suited to the
outside backs, Cox has made huge steps in his game despite being
relatively new to rugby after switching from AFL.

Backs Coach Stephen Larkham spoke highly of all three new backs
following their signings on Friday.

"Zac Holmes is a skilful player out of Norths in Sydney. He is currently
Norths' goal kicker and an accurate field kicker," Larkham said.

"Being the third quickest in recent squad testing means he will cover a
number of positions for us next year, including five-eighth, wing and
fullback.

"Tom Cox is a raw talent coming to us from Queensland University in the
Brisbane comp.

"He is out and out speed having recently tested fasted in our 40m speed
test with a time which would put him as one of the quickest men in
Australian rugby.

"He is relatively new to rugby, but listens well and is keen to learn
and has a huge potential in the game. Tom will predominantly play on the
wing for us next year.

"Tevita Kuridrani also comes from the University of Queensland. Tevita
is big and fast, has a natural understanding of the game and has a good
passing game.

"He will play anywhere from 12 out as he again has great versatility
like the rest of our backline."

Power has been a star performer for Bay of Plenty in New Zealand's ITM
Cup this season. His team, which currently sits first on the ladder, has
been blessed with the 2.01m tall giant in the lineout in 2011 after
arriving at the Bay Of Plenty from Taranaki at the start of this season.

Despite spending the majority of his life and playing days in New
Zealand, Power was born in Sydney and will not play under the ARU's
foreign marquee player rule.

CA Technologies Brumbies Forwards Coach Laurie Fisher was pleased with
the signing of Power and said he was a good fit for where the team was
headed in 2012.

"Leon is a big man with a good combination of game and grunt," Fisher
said.

"He has been well schooled in the tough New Zealand rugby environment
and we will be expecting him to bring a hard, uncompromising edge to our
play."

Tom Cox