• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What to do with JOC (James O'Connor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Drop a player who could credibly claim to be the world's best in his position on the back of one less-than-stellar performance?

Not just one. I think he has been over playing his hand all series. He is not world best. Genia is the only one we have that could claim that.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not just one. I think he has been over playing his hand all series. He is not world best. Genia is the only one we have that could claim that.

All I said was that he could credibly claim to be the world's best. Hence why he was nominated by the IRB for player of the year last year.

He outshone Mils tonight, had a cracking spring tour and Super 15, and provides the creativity that is otherwise completely absent outside 9 and 10.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Elaborating on beale. He just seems to be taking the wrong option too often. He does something brilliant like beating too defenders on the counter but then runs infield away from the space and support. Losing the ball in contact too often and trying to do too much on his own. If he started looking for support after beating that first defender we most likely would have had another try tonight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
All I said was that he could credibly claim to be the world's best. Hence why he was nominated by the IRB for player of the year last year.

He outshone Mils tonight, had a cracking spring tour and Super 15, and provides the creativity that is otherwise completely absent outside 9 and 10.

Yes, but my alternative to him was another creative player. Just an option, and I hope Beale returns to his best because for mine he is well below it at the moment.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes, but my alternative to him was another creative player. Just an option, and I hope Beale returns to his best because for mine he is well below it at the moment.

Agree he's not performed up to his own high standards this 3N. However, I don't agree that his spot should be in jeopardy as a result.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think Beale needs to be told that you can only produce 3 miracles on each run, he does 3 great things and just tries to keep it up. There is only so much you can do, if he was told once you have stepped 3 players just take the ball to the ground he would be better off and we would not lose posession as much

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Beale is great, sure, but if someone could txt him to let him know

1) Pointless grubbers that turnover possession are not a mandatory part of every game and,

2) He is not playing for the rebels yet, he does not need to create and finish a try scoring opportunity within a single touch. Patience!

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I have a feeling that missing out on the tri nations title with "the boys" has probably got through to JOC (James O'Connor). They can do it without him and he is not the most important player.

Having said that with Quade likely to be out for a bit its either:
Barnes at 10, with McCabe and Finger outside him, looks a bit boring but solid.
or
JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, which is similar to Quade at 10 but not as mercurial/inconsistent. Would like to see this happen IMO.

Could definitely see JOC (James O'Connor) being the super sub if he doesn't impress in the pool games

L

Lachlan

Let him be the 22nd man - he covers every position in the backline bar 13.

Why bother changing the backline around? The XV from the weekend just beat the All Blacks! Keep them as is and bring Barnes in for Quade if necessary.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Beale is great, sure, but if someone could txt him to let him know

1) Pointless grubbers that turnover possession are not a mandatory part of every game and,

2) He is not playing for the rebels yet, he does not need to create and finish a try scoring opportunity within a single touch. Patience!

Beale hasn't grubbered for the past half dozen games - someone obviously sent him your text a few months ago.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Beale isn't playing badly at all. He deserves to start. He makes mistakes sure, but its because he offers something. Quade f'd up alotlast night, some bad kicks, some stupid passes, he just gets his hand on the ball more and can make amend, Beale got limited opportunities and didn't get that chance, but he if far from not up to standard.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I have a feeling that missing out on the tri nations title with "the boys" has probably got through to JOC (James O'Connor). They can do it without him and he is not the most important player.

Having said that with Quade likely to be out for a bit its either:
Barnes at 10, with McCabe and Finger outside him, looks a bit boring but solid.
or
JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, which is similar to Quade at 10 but not as mercurial/inconsistent. Would like to see this happen IMO.

Could definitely see JOC (James O'Connor) being the super sub if he doesn't impress in the pool games

There is no chance at all - zero, nada - that JOC (James O'Connor) will be moved in front of Barnes for the replacement 10 spot if Barnes is fit, and rightly so. Barnes is an experienced international 10 and a very good one. JOC (James O'Connor) is still so wet behind the ears it isn't funny.

T

TOCC

Mitchell will come in to partner Ioane on the wing, Beale will remain at fullback, Cooper-Genia will remain the halves partners.

The only positions up for grab are 12-13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe and Fainga'a are all fighing it out.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The thought of having Mitchell and Ioane on the wings with JOC (James O'Connor) as a super sub has me far more exited than JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is no chance at all - zero, nada - that JOC (James O'Connor) will be moved in front of Barnes for the replacement 10 spot if Barnes is fit, and rightly so. Barnes is an experienced international 10 and a very good one. JOC (James O'Connor) is still so wet behind the ears it isn't funny.

Must admit I am really not a fan of Barnes at ten for the Wobs. He is far too conservative in attack. Think he is quite suited to 12 though.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mitchell will come in to partner Ioane on the wing, Beale will remain at fullback, Cooper-Genia will remain the halves partners.

The only positions up for grab are 12-13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe and Fainga'a are all fighing it out.

Think Barnes and Horne will be in the mix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.