• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

1. Tom Lamont - Uni
2. Solomon Fainga'a - Easts
3. Jed Gillespie - Woodies
4. Harry Brynes - Manly
5. Will Skelton - Uni
6. Kyle Sherwin - Woodies
7. Mitch Daniels - Manly
8. Ben Melrose - Uni
9. Nic Stirzaker - Uni
10. Stu Dunbar - Uni
11. Brad Curtis - Woodies
12. Henry Carmichael - Gordon
13. Malietoa Hingano - Manly
14. Charlie Wakim - Wicks
15. Matt Armour - Uni

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
6 Jason Havea from the Pirates should get a look-in. And their 8, Matt Coles, would have to be one of the best ball-running backrowers around. Big Dave Lolohea has the makings of an outstanding running prop in the open but he needs to lose some weight and improve his scrummaging. The Pirates number 4 is one of the best lineout technicians in the comp.

G

Grandstand

The Manly fullback had an excellent game against Uni last weekend, best I have seen all year.

U

Upright

1. Tom Lamont - Uni
2. Solomon Fainga'a - Easts
3. Jed Gillespie - Woodies
4. Harry Brynes - Manly
5. Will Skelton - Uni
6. Kyle Sherwin - Woodies
7. Mitch Daniels - Manly
8. Ben Melrose - Uni
9. Nic Stirzaker - Uni
10. Stu Dunbar - Uni
11. Brad Curtis - Woodies
12. Henry Carmichael - Gordon
13. Malietoa Hingano - Manly
14. Charlie Wakim - Wicks
15. Matt Armour - Uni
Interesting exercise. Named a squad recognising those I thought were the form players in their positions.
1 Lolahea (Wests) & Lamont (Uni)
2 Latu (Uni) & Fainnga (Easts)
3 Gillespie (Woods) & Roche (Wicks)
4 Byrnes (Manly)
5 Skelton (Uni)
6 Shewan (Woods)
7 Daniels (Manly) & Melrose (Uni)
8 Reid (Manly)
9 Stirzaker (Uni) & Bannon (Wicks)
10 Dunbar (Uni)
11 Tanginoa (Wests)
12 Carmichael (Gordon)
13 Hingano (Manly) & Simkins (Gordon)
14 Murray (Norths)
15 Armour (Uni) & Wakim (Wicks)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
That list is good. I like the fact that others agree the Manly 7 and 8 have had great seasons. I would add as backs to be considered, Clifton and Porter from Easts. I agree Coles from Wests is good.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
That list is good. I like the fact that others agree the Manly 7 and 8 have had great seasons. I would add as backs to be considered, Clifton and Porter from Easts. I agree Coles from Wests is good.

I have seen a lot of Woodies games this year. Gillespie has only played loosehead, not tighthead. Anyway, here's my two bobs worth........there's some selections here that will raise a few eyebrows!

1- Lolohea (Wests)
2- Veetutu (Manly)
3- Rota (Manly)
4- Parkinson (Parra)
5- Hodge (Uni)
6- Calgano (Norths)
7- Melrose (Uni)
8- Reid (Manly)
9- Stirzaker (Uni)
10- Sutton (Eastwood)
11- Tanginoa (Wests)
12- Hingano (manly)
13- Lavaka (Parra)
14- Armour (Uni)
15- Tavola (Parra)

the 3 Parra boys probably being the most surprising. I have only seen them play twice, but both Lavaka and Tavola in the backs are extraordinary talents. Parkinson has worked hi way into the Shute Shield side in recent weeks and has a high workrate and is excellent at 2. Over to you guys for comment.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Is Lavaka the guy that usually plays in the 3s, 2s and 1s on the one day? If so, he is worth selecting. One thing that has been interesting in all these selections is that, apart from Connor in the first selection attempt, there has been no genuine pilferer nominated at 7. Melrose certainly isn't one although I like his hardness. When he played against Easts, I can recall a huge cleanout on the red-headed 7. I don't think they are out there. The reserve Easts 7 is but he only comes on as a sub. Goodman at Uni isn't one. Goode at Souths is ok. The Manly 7, Daniels, who I really rate, is not one either. The lanky Eastwood 7 is not bad. I can't recall his name. In fact, Leslie in Woods 2s is very good. or something like that for Norths is a good pilferer but is a bit small.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Is Lavaka the guy that usually plays in the 3s, 2s and 1s on the one day? If so, he is worth selecting. One thing that has been interesting in all these selections is that, apart from Connor in the first selection attempt, there has been no genuine pilferer nominated at 7. Melrose certainly isn't one although I like his hardness. When he played against Easts, I can recall a huge cleanout on the red-headed 7. I don't think they are out there. The reserve Easts 7 is but he only comes on as a sub. Goodman at Uni isn't one. Goode at Souths is ok. The Manly 7, Daniels, who I really rate, is not one either. The lanky Eastwood 7 is not bad. I can't recall his name. In fact, Leslie in Woods 2s is very good. or something like that for Norths is a good pilferer but is a bit small.

Sorry, not sure if Lavaka plays every game. I have only seen them once or twice and only 1st grade. He carved Warringah at 13. Was superb. I rate that Calcagno at Norths, good on baller and Melrose, whilst isnt the classic pilferer I think you are intimating above, he'll win you some good ball. And Reid at Manly is arguably the best pilferering 8 in the comp....plus he's great on the ball carries. And dont forget, in my team, with Veetutu at 2, he'll win the odd steal for you as well.

I think it's interesting that no-one has pushed for Donlan at 9. He is after all a Riverview old boy, and that school has plenty of support on these forums. I have seen him a few times, he is completely over rated in my opinion. The best 9 at Warringah is Borula who they have had playing at 10 a fair bit

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Slash, you could not have seen much of these guys play.
There is no comparison between the 2.
Not trying to dis Borula, but in every facet of the game Donlan is superior.
Watch what grades they play next year, You will see Donlan plays 1's or 2's and Borula play 3's or 4's.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I have seen a lot of Woodies games this year. Gillespie has only played loosehead, not tighthead. Anyway, here's my two bobs worth........there's some selections here that will raise a few eyebrows!

1- Lolohea (Wests)
2- Veetutu (Manly)
3- Rota (Manly)
4- Parkinson (Parra)
5- Hodge (Uni)
6- Calgano (Norths)
7- Melrose (Uni)
8- Reid (Manly)
9- Stirzaker (Uni)
10- Sutton (Eastwood)
11- Tanginoa (Wests)
12- Hingano (manly)
13- Lavaka (Parra)
14- Armour (Uni)
15- Tavola (Parra)

the 3 Parra boys probably being the most surprising. I have only seen them play twice, but both Lavaka and Tavola in the backs are extraordinary talents. Parkinson has worked hi way into the Shute Shield side in recent weeks and has a high workrate and is excellent at 2. Over to you guys for comment.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
does anyone think that the Australian Under 19 reps such as Jed Holloway and Tom Conner may rate a look in. Also Liam Walker from the Wicks who w=has been playing grade all year. Also Keliti from Easts and some of the Wicks forwards have been pretty effective.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
[. or something like that for Norths is a good pilferer but is a bit small.[/QUOTE]

Joe McElhone - very good player. Like you say, small, but big heart and takes the big guys on no worries.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Watch what grades they play next year, You will see Donlan plays 1's or 2's and Borula play 3's or 4's.

IL2W...you're right, I havent seen a great deal of them this year. And you are also right that its most likely Donlan will play higher grades, but IMHO I think that is only because of his dodgy reputation from a private school. I wont dis here publicly either, but am happy to send you PM if you wish

Slash

Bill Watson (15)

IL2W...you're right, I havent seen a great deal of them this year. And you are also right that its most likely Donlan will play higher grades, but IMHO I think that is only because of his dodgy reputation from a private school. I wont dis here publicly either, but am happy to send you PM if you wish

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
In the elim semi, does number 1 on the ladder play the winner of 3 and 6 or the winner of 4 and 5? ie does Uni play the winner of Easts and Randwick or the winner of Eastwood and West Harbour?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Uni (1) will play the lowest ranked winner. Manly (2) play the higher ranked winner from next weeks game.
Last year randwick (6) beat easts (3) and played uni (1) the next week. If easts had won they'd have played west harbour (2).

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Slash, I think u need to get over the private school thing. Donlan is a class halfback - voted by New Zealand Schools rugby last year as the best Australian player in the Aust schools. I dont think they cared what school he went to. His form this year has been a bit ordinary but my understanding is that he is recovering from glandular fever.

Spewn, lowest ranked winner in teh semis play uni and highest ranked winner play manly. So if Woods beat wests and easts beat randwick the following week will be woods-manly and uni-easts. But if Wests beat woods they will play uni etc. The issue for me now is can easts beat uni for the third time this season (assuming they can knock of randwick first of course and woods beat wests)

Status
Not open for further replies.