• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for that RH, great to hear.

While I wish he'd quit the girl niggle love affair he seems to have with McCaw, a player I genuinely believe Quade recognises as a superb player, I must admit I got endless delight reading the incredible worked up fervour of hatred many kiwis mustered on the fern.

To read it you'd think Quade was some kind of bakkies botha richard loe interbreed crossed with a lemming.

Seems his brilliance, competitive nature, birthplace, and constant desire to attack even at the expense of seeing through tackles properly does their head in. Well that and the pattycake with McCaw rubbish ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

U

undercoverkiwi

Sorry, calling the mods. This is just flagrant abuse of a fine player. Do you know this to be true Blue? What evidence do you have to attack a player in this condescending, holier-than-thou, condemning manner?

I have actually met and had quite lengthy chats with QC (Quade Cooper) on two occasions (have you?). As Link has publicly said numerous times, with sincerity: QC (Quade Cooper) thinks intensely about the game, he talks intelligently about what he does and how he does it and and what he wants to achieve. He is not at all egotistical or vain in person. In fact, in person, he's humble, warm and utterly self-effacing. He's openly admitted to his mistakes and, I'm quite convinced, is working hard to grow as he person in a fishbowl environment with, no doubt, advice from every quarter on every aspect of how he should live, and play. He's superb with the many school kids he visits and inspires and they leave just loving their meetings with him (he comes back to my son's school often to see and encourage the rugby boys there, and where he attended a few years back).

Critique him objectively as a player - he's only played a major role in revitalising rugby throughout Australia and contributed to two major championship wins as TOCC has stated - but do not attack him in this manner unless you can back it up with hard facts and decent evidence, and balanced with an objective assessment of his personal qualities.

Is this post for real? Are you actually telling on him for saying that? On a forum where there's an Ali Williams Hate Thread?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Is this post for real? Are you actually telling on him for saying that? On a forum where there's an Ali Williams Hate Thread?

Yeh but Ali Williams isn't Australian....DUH!

RH I don't think Blue said anything over the top there, might be a bit of an overreaction.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
What does everyone on here honestly think of QC (Quade Cooper)? Do you think leaving Gits out is a mistake?

I honestly reckon QC (Quade Cooper) is overrated and is only good with the ball in hand running the ball and does not offer much else except average goal kicking and is awful on defense. Most the reason he looks good on attack is because of the man in front of him. Genia could make even the worst flyhalfs look good on attack.

Dropping Giteau is a huge mistake that could cost the cup because Cooper will just stand there watching the players run past instead of tackling them and let them score the winning tries. Barnes is the last hope now.

Surely not this one again?

To bring it to its simplest form, Cooper runs toward the try line, Giteau runs toward the sideline.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
He brings a much needed unpredictability to the Wallabies side. While his backhand passes and cross field kicks can be risky, he seems to pull them off. These keep the opposition on edge. As an attacking flyhalf I don't think there are any better at the moment. Dan Carter is Mr. Consistency, but it seems like hes just a distributor of the ball, and a good boot.

The HUGE question mark with Quade is his defense, which is non-existent. Moving to fullback on defense is a clever move to utilize his counter attacking skill, but speaks volumes about his inability to make a simple tackle. In defense he just doesn't seem to care or is almost afraid. If you watch the try Nonu scored Quade lets him walk by without making an attempt. Sure Nonu had the step on him, and there was no way Quade would have stopped him, but at least make an effort. Quade did the same thing with Carter's try in the Super Rugby Final. Also you'll notice that Quade never gets low in a tackle, he always tries to hug the ball carrier. Just bend over and wrap the guys legs!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cooper is a magician in attack. He's essential in that respect.

In defence, I've never seen a player at this level fail to commit to tackles in the way Cooper does. His latest on Nonu was inexcusable. At least get in his way.

I don't like the niggle. Some say it is great to get under the skin of the opposition etc. I think it's disrespectful. Dan Carter doesn't need to push Pocock in the face after the ABs score or knee Pocock when he's getting up. Carter is class. Cooper is crass.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I am always amazed at how much we should "respect" the Kiwis. I'm not sure why. They are great rugby players but to believe that we should stand back and watch them do their stuff is foolish. And one of the reasons we are #2 and not #1.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We should respect all opposition not just the kiwis. Perhaps we're interpreting respect differently. I have no doubt Vickerman respects his opposition. It doesn't mean he doesn't want to bash them.

Cooper show's a lack of respect with his cheap shots and a lack of respect to his team mates by avoiding his defensive duties.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Like RH I've met QC (Quade Cooper) on two occasions - first off 2 years ago on the EU tour, where he was an enthusiastic yet respectful 'kid', talking about how much he loves his footy to a bunch of journos (and me) with dictaphones shoved in his face. I thought "well played newbie"

The second time I met him was a few weeks back about 3 hours after he'd won the S15 title at the aftermatch function. Guys we all admire and look up to like Big Kev were deservedly 'letting their hair down'.

What was QC (Quade Cooper) like this time? Exactly the same as two years previous - Respectful, proud to be a Red and thrilled to 'be playing footy'.

If it's all an act, then he's holding it together very well

As for the 'cheap shot' stuff: how many sly pushes, handbags and whatever else do you see nonstop from countless other players, including ABs (woodcock, Nonu....) but don't cop this rediculous flak of 'disruspuct'? Laughable

As for his defence - i have seen worse - Morne Steyn, but without the attacking ability

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Like RH I've met QC (Quade Cooper) on two occasions - first off 2 years ago on the EU tour, where he was an enthusiastic yet respectful 'kid', talking about how much he loves his footy to a bunch of journos (and me) with dictaphones shoved in his face. I thought "well played newbie"

The second time I met him was a few weeks back about 3 hours after he'd won the S15 title at the aftermatch function. Guys we all admire and look up to like Big Kev were deservedly 'letting their hair down'.

What was QC (Quade Cooper) like this time? Exactly the same as two years previous - Respectful, proud to be a Red and thrilled to 'be playing footy'.

If it's all an act, then he's holding it together very well

As for the 'cheap shot' stuff: how many sly pushes, handbags and whatever else do you see nonstop from countless other players, including ABs (woodcock, Nonu....) but don't cop this rediculous flak of 'disruspuct'? Laughable

As for his defence - i have seen worse - Morne Steyn, but without the attacking ability

I've met cooper a number of time as well. 1st at the a food court after the shocker of a game a few years. I went up to him and I could see in his eyes when they rolled, this bloke is going to hammer me for last night performance. I didn't and asked for his signature. and we talked for awhile. And I take all credit on him being a superstar rugby player as I said he will be a super star one day.:p:p

I agree with what Gagger has said here...
And agree hands down on the Morne (Stain) Steyn comment.... Stain can goal kick and drop kick.
Cooper can do that and more..

Love him or hate him .... He has bought excitement back to his game with his style.
love the quote earlier, cant recall it but "cooper run forward, Gits run to the sideline."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quade is an exceptionally talented footballer without doubt. I have met him once and he was a fine young bloke and genuinly loves playing the game as a lifestyle choice and not just his occupation.

The personal attacks this bloke cops are cowardly at best. Extreme tall poppy syndrome at best. He is a 23 year old on a learning curve in life and is doing a fine job at learning from his mistakes compiled with a level of celebraty very few of us have to manage. He doesn't strike me as greatly academically intelligent though I stress the word ACADEMICALLY as intellegence comes in different forms. He is probably smart in other ways and he strikes me as a very genuine person with a good heart. I understand he does a lot of charity work and the fact it is not highly publicised is a testiment to his genuine character. I remember a post from RugbyReg quite some time back telling of us about going to watch his brother play and how he interacted with all the kids from both sides was awsome. This type of thing is huge for the game of rugby.

Some of his good quallities make him vulnerable to scum as we see through his manager and possy of dickheads. For his sake I hope he is strong enough not to get dragged to their level. None of us are perfect and I think Mr and Mrs Cooper would be proud of how their son has transformed from a boy to a man over the last couple of years.

He is a fair ambassadour of the game and a huge asset.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am a fan.

Just need's to question that last pass. When he is isolated, just take it to deck. If the support get's there great. Or look to kick ahead.

That being said, he missed a couple of shots at goal after a good s15 season.

I have heard a bit of grumbling about O'Connor and QC (Quade Cooper)'s kicking. I am wondering if this is down to them practicing of late solely with the World Cup balls.

L

Lachlan

If Cooper wants to niggle, he just needs to be a bit smarter about it.

Watch the lead-up to Genias try. Cooper set the whole thing up through a little bit of handbags with McCaw. Franks slid wide on defence looking at Cooper like we wanted to murder him. Genia slides straight through the gaping hole.

Niggle like that changes Test matches!

R

Rev Spooner

He's definitely an "edge of your seat" player. He will generally keep any game alive either by missing kicks for goal or getting them. for instance, last weekend and the Super 15 final. His mercurial slight of hand and his bullet-like passing is probably the best I've seen in my lifetime. I really enjoy watching him play even if he does some of the most stupid things I've seen on a rugby field. The most exciting player to play for the Wallabies since Campo. Interesting that he and Campo have similar tackling styles.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That will do me, now QC (Quade Cooper) is a tactical genius because genia backed his speed against a front rower?
QC (Quade Cooper) makes himself a target with cheap shit. Take it out of his game & the baggers reduce by more than 1/2.
It's easy, if he is the stand up guy that some posters who have met him say he is.why can't he play in that fashion?
If he did there would be very few critics.

A

antipodean

That Quade is an exceptionally talented footballer and loves playing rugby is without question. As much as the demonising is over the top, so is the lionising I see in this thread, but of course that comes as no real surprise.

Critique him objectively as a player - he's only played a major role in revitalising rugby throughout Australia and contributed to two major championship wins as TOCC has stated - but do not attack him in this manner unless you can back it up with hard facts and decent evidence, and balanced with an objective assessment of his personal qualities.
Fair comment.

As for his defence - i have seen worse - Morne Steyn
I'd say that modern first five-eighths like Merhtens, O'Gara, Steyn, etc. aren't effective tacklers, but they don't actively shirk making tackles. Cooper does. While few will never be mistaken for Jonny "Lion Heart" Wilkinson, none will be as synonymous as Quade is with actively avoiding a key part of the game. I've seen enough malingerers in my time and Quade appears to have all the traits one normally associates with them. Not that he is a lazy individual, more a poltroon.

I agree with what Gagger has said here...
And agree hands down on the Morne (Stain) Steyn comment.... Stain can goal kick and drop kick.
Cooper can do that and more..
Cooper can't kick like Steyn, although to be fair, who can?

The personal attacks this bloke cops are cowardly at best. Extreme tall poppy syndrome at best.

[...]

He doesn't strike me as greatly academically intelligent though I stress the word ACADEMICALLY as intellegence comes in different forms.
No, pointing out his foibles is not cowardly. Neither is it "tall poppy syndrome". He isn't being cut down because of his achievments. And intelligence doesn't come in different forms; you'd be confusing knowledge with intellect.

Status
Not open for further replies.