• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One All Black Cheating thread to rule them all

Are the All Blacks cheats?

• Yes of course. Been saying this all along.

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • Yes, but everyone does it.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Yes. Wish we could do that well.

Votes: 36 32.7%
  • No, otherwise we would be penalised more.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • No, the refs are out to get the All Blacks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and we have run the writer out of town for blasphemy (Kiwi only option).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antipodean

But what i will say is that the belief of 'deserving' something and resting on laurels and the work is possibly why NZ haven't won in such a long time.
Specious nonsense.

For some reason they get the underdog card. But that's us! Rugby is our 5th biggest sport here and the fact we have won 2 world cups proves how much we deserve being where we are! I can totally handle NZ winning it, Rugby is their national sport and it's one of the few places in the world where it is.
New Zealand also has less adults registered and playing. It could be the national sport of the Vatican City, doesn't mean they would be a top tier nation.

I feel a little cheated that a lot of Kiwi's don't feel the same way out us winning it if they choke again.
Why should they give a fuck who wins if the team they support doesn't?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Specious nonsense.

New Zealand also has less adults registered and playing. It could be the national sport of the Vatican City, doesn't mean they would be a top tier nation.

Why should they give a fuck who wins if the team they support doesn't?

You've seen first hand by the look of things at how good our level of Rugby is underneath S15 here in oz. The standard in NZ is much better.

I would also point out that the registered numbers in Australia would also make up quite a few of your fellow countrymen who reside in Australia. (please don't get sensitive on this point people im NOT stirring anyone)

Btw i agree with your point on 'why should they give a fuck' i am more pointing out that i feel cheated when people nominate who they want to win when your blokes (sorry if) your blokes choke again.

A

antipodean

You've seen first hand by the look of things at how good our level of Rugby is underneath S15 here in oz. The standard in NZ is much better.
Yes, but depth of talent != playing numbers.

I would also point out that the registered numbers in Australia would also make up quite a few of your fellow countrymen who reside in Australia. (please don't get sensitive on this point people im NOT stirring anyone)
I'm not sensitive about it. The simple truth is, in my opinion, that rugby would be a warm cadaver in this country without New Zealand and other Pacific Island immigration.

I would note, just quietly, that two countries have become remarkably more quiescent in their claims of stealing from the islands...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yes, but depth of talent != playing numbers.

I'm not sensitive about it. The simple truth is, in my opinion, that rugby would be a warm cadaver in this country without New Zealand and other Pacific Island immigration.

I would note, just quietly, that two countries have become remarkably more quiescent in their claims of stealing from the islands...

Oh yeah but we get raped by the Mungo's. In terms of playing numbers have you seen low division subbies?

Yes we have both become a little quiet on that front.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Everyf, can you enlighten me on the early bit you mentioned about NZ sooking about Kearnsie diving. I am not trolling or anything,but you got me scratching my head when this was supposed to have happened, I really can't recall him doing anything like that. I haven't found any of Kiwi mates are able to enlighten me either. Lol hope I haven't missed out on a good excuse or anything for a few years.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
It would be great to see an unbiased video analysis of the Wallabies/All Blacks game, showing 'cheating' incidents. One day Robbie Deans might include an account of what really happens in his memoirs... he would know from both sides...

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
It occurs to me just how much like a game of rugby this forum is. I can see it gets pretty willing in here. Haven’t participated yet and I have to admit to feeling a little like a sub watching the clock and wondering if the coach is going to give him a run. Sometimes seeing the off the ball stuff that goes on I think I’d rather not play, other times I see something happen and I get fired up and want to come charging on. Online forums are like the bottom of a ruck. Some pretty underhanded and anonymous activity can take place and a wise man enters, hopefully through the gate, with his eyes wide open. The moderators of this forum are to be commended for policing the ruck so effectively.
I have been an admirer of the forum for some time particularly of its insistence that members refrain from descending into abuse and invective. If I may rather boldly say however, it is evident that standards have been slipping lately – in particular with regard to the professed hatred of players and by association of people from particular countries.
Without wanting to sound high and mighty I think this is a shame. Players and their actions are open to comment. I confess to forming strong feelings both positive and negative about certain players and am forthright in articulating them. However when those feelings become the sole currency of exchange, particularly when the feelings are negative, it makes for an unedifying spectacle. This seems to be happening within this forum to some degree.
For example this whole cheat thing is descending rapidly into farce. It really is beneath us.
The only thing that matters is that we beat the All Blacks last weekend and not just by five points. They got done well and truly, and any honest kiwi fan will admit this. They got done because we finally turned up and played with an intensity and desire that was the equal or greater of anything they could produce. If we continue to turn up like this then we can win, and win well most of the time we play them. And the beautiful thing is that they know it. To my mind this fact and this fact alone lays bare the whole issue of cheating as largely irrelevant. No matter what they did in the first half they couldn’t live with us. It is this and this alone that has been the defining difference between us and them in the last few years. We haven’t been able to live with them. To suggest that we have lost so many times to them because they cheat diminishes us more than them. It makes us look like whingers. If you play well enough there is simply no amount of cheating that can prevent you from winning. Yes I admit that when teams are evenly matched consistent bending of the rules can make a difference, but I ask you to reconsider the first half of last week’s game and recognise that at least for the first 40 mins there was only one team in it. They were cactus. The fact that they came back so well in the second half had bugger all to do with cheating and everything to do with changing their game plan and lifting their intensity – mind you it probably was also related to our well documented inability to sustain the required intensity after oranges.
So in a plea from a newbie can we surrender the obsession with cheating and get on with celebrating the emergence of a competitive Wallabies team?
Sermon over. Please feel free to tell me to bugger off for my impertinence. As we all know you have to earn the right to spin the ball wide by taking it up the middle first and it would be fair to say I haven’t done that yet.
Cheers everyone.

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks for the welcome everybody. Bloody nice. A quick clarification. Having taken the moral high ground I think it would be remiss of me not to mention that I dipped my toe into the GAGR waters some time back, under a different moniker. My contribution was no more than 4 very short posts, none of them controversial, or for that matter particularly interesting. The lack of response they engendered was probably a reflection of the nature of the comment, or more accurately the position from which they were made, which was more akin to a bloke standing on the sideline and giving advice rather than someone prepared to join the fray. This made me sit back and think and the conclusion I came to was that if I was going to participate then I had to participate sincerely and with conviction. I then decided that my moniker was as flippant as my comments so came to the conclusion that I needed to re-present myself. This I have done and the post you have just read, and the new moniker, a private joke with myself, are more genuinely reflective of me. I hope the minor deception will not disqualify me from participating.
Very pleased to be part of the group.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Hedgo.

For what it's worth I agree with your original sentiments. We push the cheating thing a bit too far, and it makes us look like whingers and poor sports when things don't go our way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think far too much credence has been given to a Mark Reason article.

He makes Danny Weidler look fair and balanced and a good bloke to boot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The smart thing about the extended clean the ABs use incredibly effectively is that it creates the opportunity for quick ball from the following phase and they need that to leverage their pace out wide

But all the sides do it, the ABs are doing it better.

I think there will be a crackdown for a week or two eventually and lots of side will get punished

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, but be careful with the expression "extended cleanout" fp. If you start introducing weasel words to describe outrageous rule breaking, then where will it end? I reckon the in-your-face approach to the All Blacks tactics has worked well over the past year, and I think - if the iRB are serious - that refs are becoming intolerant of it (as you suggest) at just the right time.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Everyf, can you enlighten me on the early bit you mentioned about NZ sooking about Kearnsie diving. I am not trolling or anything,but you got me scratching my head when this was supposed to have happened, I really can't recall him doing anything like that. I haven't found any of Kiwi mates are able to enlighten me either. Lol hope I haven't missed out on a good excuse or anything for a few years.

G'day Dan,

Yep i have spoken to my 'Kiwi Kwota' and they advised me that it was actually Peter Fitzsimons the year cannot be recalled. Apologies for leading you and the forum down the garden path a little there.

7 days and loving it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, but be careful with the expression "extended cleanout" fp. If you start introducing weasel words to describe outrageous rule breaking, then where will it end? I reckon the in-your-face approach to the All Blacks tactics has worked well over the past year, and I think - if the iRB are serious - that refs are becoming intolerant of it (as you suggest) at just the right time.

:lmao: I am a firm believer that unless the refs say it is wrong, it is fine

All this stuff is cyclical (and cynical), players take that extra space and then look dumfounded when they are penalised for stuff they have been doing for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.