• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Digby Ioane with suspected broken hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jumpers

Well thats disappointing news about Mr. Ioana and hes a Big loss but I'm sure Mr. Deans will try everything medically possible to get him back asap! The Wannabes cannot lose anymore valued players as they are thin as it is but with this injury opens up an opportunity for Mr. Mitchell or a Barnes to play. Good luck to whoever comes in as the expected replacement!!!

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
this is huge!
still, id take digby with one arm and hopping before i looked outside the squad
dunno how i feel about mitchell coming in against an in form tommy bowe either
straight swap oconner for ioane at this stge

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't think you can put Mitchell straight into a WC run-on side. He simply hasn't played enough rugby this year. I think if there's any chance that the injury can be healed before finals, then Robbie Deans shouldn't risk worsening the injury by playing Digby. Especially when Australia has the best depth we've had in the back 3 for years.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I like the idea of giving Horne at least some time on the wing to run him into some condition for possible greater use later in the comp.
Digby couldnt possibly play through a scapoid break, apart from the risk of further serious damage, it is a very painfull injury and detrimental to handling.

P

pete88

I don't think it's his scaphoid, I haven't seen that written anywhere and I wouldn't have thought he would be right in 3 weeks under any circumstances.

He may not run with his hands, but he fends catches and passes with them so there's no playing through this. I remember breaking my hand in a game and the point at which I knew I couldn't play through it was catching a pass. Fucking impossible without squealing like a prison arsewife.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's a big blow, but not the end of the world. We won't lose the RWC because of a winger. And there are wingers / players who can cover pretty well in the backs.
Should not fark around with a scaphoid fracture - the bone has a tenuous blood supply, and if not fixed properly it can lead to avascular necrosis (death) of part of the bone which is really not good for a professional footy player.
Mitchell, Barnes, Horne are all options to come to the fore with some minor re-shuffling.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's a big blow, but not the end of the world. We won't lose the RWC because of a winger. And there are wingers / players who can cover pretty well in the backs.
Should not fark around with a scaphoid fracture - the bone has a tenuous blood supply, and if not fixed properly it can lead to avascular necrosis (death) of part of the bone which is really not good for a professional footy player.
Mitchell, Barnes, Horne are all options to come to the fore with some minor re-shuffling.

so between the lines, your saying the RWC isnt worth dying for? if thats the case he shouldnt have been selected in the first place.

that said, agree 100% we have enough cover, as good as he has been, it shouldnt cost us the cup if the team adapts.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mitchell looked the goods against Canada. If he's not gonna be right against Ireland, when will he be this world cup? The man was the form Australian winger before his injury, lest we forget it.

Hopefully Diggers comes right before the knock out stages. Poor lad must be devastated.

N

Newter

I like the idea of giving Horne at least some time on the wing to run him into some condition for possible greater use later in the comp.
Digby couldnt possibly play through a scapoid break, apart from the risk of further serious damage, it is a very painfull injury and detrimental to handling.

Rob Horne is the best like-for-like replacement on the left wing. He is fast, aggressive in contact, and would defend just as powerfully in the ten channel.

He's also played a lot more rugby than Drew Mitchell in the last couple of months.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Media seems to be pretty consistently reporting it's his thumb since the first reports, so hopefully it is 'just' something undisplaced, proximal 1st metacarpal.

Status
Not open for further replies.