• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

Played 4 of his last 7 in colts , rounds 18- 21. Here is another player, Tom English. Has only played round 4, 12, 17 and 22 in Colts. All other weeks Tom was playing grade. Love to know what rule Tom becomes eligible? Last year Sam Roberson and Eddy Bredenhann had never played Colts in 2010 and came off the bench for Colts 3 in last years GF. I agree it is wrong.

W

waves

Played 4 of his last 7 in colts , rounds 18- 21. Here is another player, Tom English. Has only played round 4, 12, 17 and 22 in Colts. All other weeks Tom was playing grade. Love to know what rule Tom becomes eligible? Last year Sam Roberson and Eddy Bredenhann had never played Colts in 2010 and came off the bench for Colts 3 in last years GF. I agree it is wrong.

Not to sure although I am aware that players playing in 3rd grade who are underage can qualify for colts but must start on the bench, (No points are in consideration). To start in colts coming back form grade you must play 4 of the remaining 7 games, (Points in consideration). Tom English and Nick Stirzaker have played a number of games in colts for the past month.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
A couple of years ago Sths made the GF against Uni. There was talk of Rob Horne playing as he was technically a colt. Even though he was a starting Waratah coming back from injury. Surely Uni, who were not very impressed by this situation can understand why some other clubs might be annoyed when they try to pull the exact same stunt. You cant play them in 2nds one week at Uni and then push them back to colts. In reality your just taking the piss.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I have done some digging..the eligibility rule is just 4 of the last 7 matches the player has played. So if you only play 4 games in 3rd grade colts for example you qualify for them, but here's the twist, they can play up in higher grades during semi finals, then come down to play colts 3 after a higher grade loses.

I don't blame the clubs here though, the issue is the rule. The clubs just exploit it. Maybe the rule needs to be the player must play 11 games during the year (half the season) including 3 of the last 5 in that particular grade. Dispensation should then only be available on medical terms and not rep duty terms. Perhaps too, rep players (i.e. super 15 academy contracted players) should not be permitted to play anything lower than 1st Colts

K

Keithy

You are right lily with Horne but he had no played any club rugby so that is why he was ok to play. This is different and I don't agree.
The player I am friends with was playing halfback Colts 2 during the season. Now Helliwell came back from Roosters Toyota Cup, played grade until last round. Stirzaker plays 4 of last 7 and is eligible. Here is his grief, Stirzaker Colts 1, Helliwell Colts 2, Boyd-Jones Colts 3 and Gordon bench for Colt 3. No room for him in any of the GFs. Tough love, win at all costs.

K

Keithy

Stirzaker is on the bench in Grade 1's. For him to then play colts the following day is a fucking joke.

Eligibilty is a massive problem. Uni are much much stronger with Stirzaker.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Northern Suburbs 3rd grade colts have secured the services of some of their top U16 players for next season. I'm told they are playing a one off game against NSW Country U18s today (Saturday). If anyone is watching the game would be interested to hear how the 16 year olds get on, particularly Robbie Wolfgramm (centre), Jonathan Ross (lock) and George Donnelly (hooker). All 3 are MNZ players and perhaps could have gone further. Wolfgramm is a mungo ball star in the making (and made NSW last year). What hacks me off is that all 3 should be playing for Manly as they were 3 years ago.

On a more general point, I'm hearing that the shoremen are really starting to get their act together under Simon Kerr and could well be up there in future years. They have a great 16s and 15s to poach this year and next, plus also the demography of some of the top schools. Expect them to seriously challenge Uni in coming years.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Northern Suburbs 3rd grade colts have secured the services of some of their top U16 players for next season. I'm told they are playing a one off game against NSW Country U18s today (Saturday). If anyone is watching the game would be interested to hear how the 16 year olds get on, particularly Robbie Wolfgramm (centre), Jonathan Ross (lock) and George Donnelly (hooker). All 3 are MNZ players and perhaps could have gone further. Wolfgramm is a mungo ball star in the making (and made NSW last year). What hacks me off is that all 3 should be playing for Manly as they were 3 years ago.

On a more general point, I'm hearing that the shoremen are really starting to get their act together under Simon Kerr and could well be up there in future years. They have a great 16s and 15s to poach this year and next, plus also the demography of some of the top schools. Expect them to seriously challenge Uni in coming years.

Word is they've signed that very talented but injury prone ball running back rower, Jesse Parahi from Tuggeranong.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm not sure why this post is in this thread as Parahi played Austschools in 2006 from memory.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone know whether there is an Australian Under 20 extended training squad being selected this year?

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Signed?
Why do 3rd grade colts players sign contracts?

They don't - I think what is meant is that there is an "understanding" that they will play. Also, if they are good they'll play higher - it's about time Norths looked at their own juniors. Two years ago they won the Opens (under 18's) Sydney comp and not one of that team was approached - by their own senior club. This years results are probably a reflection of that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They don't - I think what is meant is that there is an "understanding" that they will play. Also, if they are good they'll play higher - it's about time Norths looked at their own juniors. Two years ago they won the Opens (under 18's) Sydney comp and not one of that team was approached - by their own senior club. This years results are probably a reflection of that.

Been like that since jesus was playing colts for Bethlehem

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Sydney Uni wins all three finals - well done.
How must Randwick 1st Colts feel after being up 27-24 with 10 seconds left. Aint footy a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.