• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Libya

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Is it just me or does anyone else have some concerns how the US, UK and France have bombed Libyan sites in the last day. Did I miss a declaration of war or an attack by Libya on any of these three countries. The General needs to go, but why do these governments think an unprovoked attack on his supporters is justified. I guess it is from the same company that brought you - Cambodia, Bolivia, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, India, Pakistan and the rest of the African continent. I also forgot to mention the war by proxy fought betwen the USSR an the US in central and south America. God Bless these arseholes.
Back in the day the US congress needed an act of war against the US to send troops abroad. Now these guys just bend over and take it so they do not look weak on the Terrorism debate. Insert Stop the Boats in Australia.

B

Bradley

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2011/sgsm13454.doc.htm

Secretary-General Says Security Council Action on Libya Affirms International Community’s Determination to Protect Civilians from Own Government’s Violence

The following statement was issued on 17 March by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon:

The Security Council today has taken an historic decision. Resolution 1973 (2011) affirms, clearly and unequivocally, the international community’s determination to fulfil its responsibility to protect civilians from violence perpetrated upon them by their own Government. The resolution authorizes the use of all necessary measures, including a no-fly zone to prevent further casualties and loss of innocent lives. In adopting this resolution, the Security Council placed great importance on the appeal of the League of Arab States for action.

Given the critical situation on the ground, I expect immediate action on the resolution’s provisions. I am prepared to carry out my responsibilities, as mandated by the resolution, and will work closely with Member States and regional organizations to coordinate a common, effective and timely response.

Once again, I join the Council in calling for an immediate ceasefire, a halt to all attacks on civilians and full humanitarian access to those in need. Our strenuous diplomatic efforts will continue. Following his mission to Tripoli, my Special Envoy for Libya met in Cairo today with the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States. He will brief me this weekend on the results of his conversations. I myself will travel to the region to advance our common efforts in this critical hour.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't like foreign governments intervening in the affairs of sovereign governments unless in the most extreme of circumstances. Furthermore, any intervention has to have the full backing of other players in the region, as otherwise it just gives people in Africa and the Middle East yet another reason to hate the West. As a result, I tend to be in favour of a fairly (for the want of a better term) isolationist foreign policy when it comes to sending troops in, other than things like UN sanctioned peace keeping.

I am not at all convinced that NATO needs to be involved in this, regardless of how much I personally dislike the current regime.

With that said, it's pretty much a no win situation for the US. When they do intervene, they get called a bunch of imperialist pig-dogs and when they don't they are accused of not caring about the welfare of the downtrodden in some foreign hell hole. So what do they do? Everyone hates them until they need them to be the cop on the beat for their particular cause.

B

Bradley

Furthermore, any intervention has to have the full backing of other players in the region, as otherwise it just gives people in Africa and the Middle East yet another reason to hate the West.

READ AGAIN: the Security Council placed great importance on the appeal of the League of Arab States for action.

Mate, your post was full of motherhood statements and watch your arse because sitting on the fence you will get lots of splinters!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As far as these things go, this is so far about the best process that could have happened. TBH is completely right; the US and by extension the whole western world is damned either way so we might as well do something about murderous dictators.

The hypocrisy of western governments to support through business and financial ties the same dictator for 40+ years gets to me a bit but that's in the past and at least theres some action now. Something needed to be done here and a no-fly zone is probably the least intrustive way to do it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I did read it. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

And as far as motherhood statements, so you would rather the West go blundering into every regional squabble that breaks out? Fuck me that's worked well in the past, hasn't it! The history of the last 300 years has been in part the endless proxy wars fought between different imperial powers. A lot of people have died needlessly as a result. Armed forces are there to protect the sovereign interests of your own country, not invading others. You know, rather like that definition of that word defence.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
There is a major problem here that most of the involved numpty powers fail to take on board - Libya is not a nation, rather a group of tribes held together by a bloody dictator, like Tito who held Yugoslavia with an iron fist. There will be a time soon when they might question the wisdom of their actions when the Al Qaida factions replace the Gadfly!

N

noahil

Looks like the rebels are gaining more and more control over the country, I really hope this will be the right move to a democratic government. I think it's important that the country gets the support it needs to establish something that can handle the issues, because a nation can easily be destabilized after such civil-war like events....

N

noahil

Looks like the rebels are gaining more and more control over the country, I really hope this will be the right move to a democratic government. I think it's important that the country gets the support it needs to establish something that can handle the issues, because a nation can easily be destabilized after such civil-war like events....

N

nicobinho

There is a major problem here that most of the involved numpty powers fail to take on board - Libya is not a nation, rather a group of tribes held together by a bloody dictator, like Tito who held Yugoslavia with an iron fist. There will be a time soon when they might question the wisdom of their actions when the Al Qaida factions replace the Gadfly!

I agree with you 100%. As of right now Libya is ran by rebels. It is not a country. I don't even know if it's better now or was it better with Gadafi.:-[

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
READ AGAIN: the Security Council placed great importance on the appeal of the League of Arab States for action.

Mate, your post was full of motherhood statements and watch your arse because sitting on the fence you will get lots of splinters!

Western allies in the Gulf states side with the west...

No surprises there...

Essentially, this was a predetermined takeover of Libyan resources from the west who instigated the uprising...

S

spooony

Libya was more of a brag and show off about the different countries technology and capabilities than anything else. Good example UK Fighter Jets taking off in the UK bombed a airstrip with broken rebel jets on and flew back to the UK. Seriously WTF?

But Kaddafi was killed. Its over. The country is left to fight amongst themselves now.

Status
Not open for further replies.