• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the end of last season I was upstairs at the Fox + Lion before the Highlanders game (I think it was Highlanders anyway) and there were a couple of people trying to practice Waratahs chants with a group of supporters.

Were any of you involved in that by any chance?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I haven't done a forensic study of the team for a while but I still think there is room for a rookie if they are going to have 5.

R

RonnieP

Just reading through the last couple of pages thought i'd help answer a few questions.
With the EPS (rookie contracts) Yes, they are 5 additional squad members making the total squad sizes (35) although looking at the Rebels, they have 32 or so listed players which i find strange. They have basically just re-hashed the old Rookie contracts and added a few changes. All worth roughly 40k. One major change is that you do NOT have to be a rookie to be eligible for one of the EPS spots. The ARU have recently changed this after pressure from RUPA.
Hence, Sipa is on an EPS with the Waratahs. He wouldn't walk away from the Full time gig in Melbourne to play for nothing.
Also i know Scott Sio has gone to Brumbies on an EPS deal.
Finally Dion Berryman is already playing in Italy

A

Albert

Yep, agree with this.

Grayson Hart (Southern Districts #9) is the EPS halfback with 'Tahs.

Also, the new ARU Academy structure will be released soon, with approx 40 spots spread across Syd and Bris (not sure about Canberra - anyone know for certain?)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
RonnieP and Albert

Are there any links to the info you have provided? I googled EPS and got zilch for Oz rugby.

Thanks.

PS

It's good to see that LHP Scott Sio, who I have been spruiking has got a spot in a stable, though I would rather have seen him at the Tahs. Good to see Hart could be available as 3rd scrummie too.

It makes sense that players don't have to be rookies to get the new kind of junior type contract, otherwise spots would be clogged with too young players. Hopefully a few unfashionable hard heads will get some spots if they can afford to take them.

I wonder if those cheap contracts have to be for only one year as the old rookie contracts had to be, or can they be rolled over?

A

Albert

RonnieP and Albert

Are there any links to the info you have provided?

Thanks.

Sorry Lee, not as yet - just picked up the info from people at the Wicks. One of the player managers, who represents a few young blokes at our club, gave us the heads-up.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just reading through the last couple of pages thought i'd help answer a few questions.
With the EPS (rookie contracts) Yes, they are 5 additional squad members making the total squad sizes (35) although looking at the Rebels, they have 32 or so listed players which i find strange. They have basically just re-hashed the old Rookie contracts and added a few changes. All worth roughly 40k. One major change is that you do NOT have to be a rookie to be eligible for one of the EPS spots. The ARU have recently changed this after pressure from RUPA.
Hence, Sipa is on an EPS with the Waratahs. He wouldn't walk away from the Full time gig in Melbourne to play for nothing.
Also i know Scott Sio has gone to Brumbies on an EPS deal.
Finally Dion Berryman is already playing in Italy

The Tahs need to find a way to quarantine the goodies from those infidels interstate. Sio could have been anything for the Tahs in another four years.

R

rugby_man

With the new structure changes, I wonder whether the ARU have increased the contract wages for EPS contracts above what Rookies were receiving in the previous structure to attract older heads who could actually live off their payments and train full-time as a professional footballer. This would mean they cut the academy out so the extra money can go towards the EPS contracts. Also brings up the question of whether players in the new ARU national academy receives payments or binded through contracts or agreements. Very interesting

W

waves

There has been talk around Randwick that a veteran prop who didn't play for Randwick this year will be the 30th member of the Waratah squad. Anyone from Randwick have any idea ?

I was thinking maybe Cruize Ah-Nau ? But his played this season for the Wicks.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
There has been talk around Randwick that a veteran prop who didn't play for Randwick this year will be the 30th member of the Waratah squad. Anyone from Randwick have any idea ?

What do you call a veteran?

R

rugby_man

Maybe Lotu Taukeiaho who is currently playing in France or Justin Terry?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Do we have a squad so far list?

There's 29 on the Tahs site; so there's one more to go. There's talk that another prop is needed to back up Robinson, Tilse, Kepu and Ryan.

Then if there's 5 EPS guys, who don't have to be rookies: Grayson Hart has been mentioned as 3rd string scrummie; Utility Zipper Taumoepeau (but best as a 12 these days) has been nominated as having a contract; so there's 3 more to go.

Maybe Lotu Taukeiaho (could be the ex-Randwick prop, who didn't play this year, rumoured to have the 30th spot) who is currently playing in France or Justin Terry?

If he is in France there's is no chance that he will be available for the Tahs unless he has a short contract to cover for the RWC players, which could be. Otherwise he will be a good candidate: a real hard head. I remember nominating him a couple of years ago for the new Melbourne Super team and he played for that Sydney team against the Rebels A team this year.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
tahs have just released there extended squad info
http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/4621/Default.aspx
2012 Extended Playing Squad announced

ShareThis
30/09/2011
By HSBC Waratahs Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs are one step away from finalising their 2012 Super Rugby roster following today’s confirmation of the five players who will form the Extended Playing Squad.

Each Australian Super Rugby team will have a core squad of 30 players with an additional five players forming their EPS.
The five players who will join the HSBC Waratahs EPS are former Western Force backrower Tevita Metuisela, former Blues scrumhalf Grayson Hart, backrower Lopeti Timani, prop Lotu Taukeiaho and outside back Nathan Trist.
In an ongoing commitment to foster, promote and harvest Rugby talent in NSW, all five players have been specifically selected from Sydney’s Premier Rugby competition, the Shute Shield.
There is one player still to be added to the 2012 Super Rugby squad.
HSBC Waratahs head coach Michael Foley said the nature of the Super Rugby competition means that all teams are forced to call on players outside the main squad and that the 2012 EPS will provide that depth.
“Our 2011 season clearly showed how injuries can have you looking quite quickly at your Academy or the club ranks to bring in players who you need to perform at Super Rugby level,” said Foley. “Now that the Australian Rugby Union has taken over the Academies at a national level it has allowed all the states to bring in some more players in addition to the 30-man squad and we know those players will play a part at some stage next year.
“We’re expecting the players in the EPS to develop as footballers, but we also need them to be training with the main squad week in, week out, so that when they are required they can slide straight in and be ready to play Super Rugby.”
Sydney University winger Trist, a qualified physiotherapist who is currently studying medicine, said he is thrilled by the opportunity to join the HSBC Waratahs and the prospect of playing in the world’s premier provincial Rugby competition.

“I couldn’t be more excited to have the chance to possibly play Super Rugby in 2012,” said Trist. “I’ve had a great run in club Rugby in my career and been lucky enough to make a few rep teams, but I never gave up the dream of playing for the HSBC Waratahs.

“The club season only finished last Saturday but I’m already pumped to start pre-season... bring it on!"
The EPS system is being introduced for the first time in 2012 and will allow each Super Rugby team to have five additional players who will train full time with the 30-man squad, but will only be available for selection if the main squad is affected by injury.
The 25 EPS players across the country are funded by the ARU and the EPS system has been introduced to achieve a greater spread of playing talent through the lever of playing opportunity. Players in the extended squads are able to move between teams in order to take up a position in the core playing squad of another Super Rugby side.

2012 HSBC WARATAHS
Super Rugby Squad
Chris Alcock, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Tom Carter, Dave Dennis, Kane Douglas, Rocky Elsom, Damien Fitzpatrick, Bernard Foley, Daniel Halangahu, Rob Horne, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Sekope Kepu, Tom Kingston, Pat McCutcheon, Brendan McKibbin, Drew Mitchell, Dean Mumm, Atieli Pakalani, Wycliff Palu, Greg Peterson, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sarel Pretorius, Benn Robinson, Paddy Ryan, Jeremy Tilse, Lachie Turner, John Ulugia, Dan Vickerman (plus one to be added).
Extended Playing Squad
TEVITA METUISELA
Born: 16 October 1983, Manly NSW
Physical: 186cm, 107kg
Position: Loose Forward
School: Narrabeen Sports High School
Junior Club: Manly Roos
Club: Manly
Provincial Caps: 7 [Western Force 7]
Provincial Points: 0
Provincial Debut: 2011 v Sharks [Western Force]
Super Rugby Caps: 7 [Western Force 7]
Super Rugby Points: 0
Super Rugby Debut: 2011 v Sharks [Western Force]
Test Caps: 0
Rep Honours: Sydney Roosters (NRL), Melbourne Storm (NRL), Wests Tigers (NRL), Brumbies Academy, Western Force
Metuisela was selected for Australian Schools out of Narrabeen Sports High School however did not tour after taking up an NRL contract with the Sydney Roosters. The backrower made first grade appearances with the Roosters, Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers before heading back to Rugby. The 28-year-old’s form for Manly earned him a start with the Brumbies Academy before he made his Super Rugby debut with the Western Force this year.

GRAYSON HART
Born: 19 June 1988, Kaitaia NZL
Physical: 185cm, 92kg
Position: Scrumhalf
School: Mt Roskill Grammar School
Junior Club: Grammar Carlton
Club: Southern Districts
Provincial Caps: 31 [Auckland 25, North Harbour 6]
Provincial Points: 10 [Auckland 10 (2t)]
Provincial Debut: 2007 v Bay of Plenty [Auckland]
Super Rugby Caps: 7 [Blues 7]
Super Rugby Points: 0
Super Rugby Debut: 2009 v Bulls [Blues]
Test Caps: 0
Rep Honours: New Zealand U19, New Zealand U20, Auckland NPC, North Harbour NPC, Blues
Grayson Hart, the son of former All Blacks coach John, has played the last two years in the Shute Shield after making a name for himself in New Zealand. Hart is a former national rep at U19 and U20 level and made his NPC debut at just 19 years of age for Auckland in 2007. He went on to play Super Rugby for the Blues before heading to Sydney, and qualifies as an Australian through his paternal grandmother.

LOPETI TIMANI
Born: 28 September 1993, Navutoka TON
Physical: 193cm, 117kg
Position: Lock, Backrow
School: Tonga College ‘Atele TON
Junior Club: Silapelu’ua TON
Club: Southern Districts
Provincial Caps: 0
Rep Honours: Canterbury Bulldogs (NRL U20), HSBC Junior Waratahs
Backrower Lopeti Timani graduates to the EPS after a season in the HSBC Junior Waratahs professional squad this year. The brother of Test forward Sitaleki, Timani has followed a similar path to the HSBC Waratahs as Rocky Elsom, with both playing representative rugby league with the Canterbury Bulldogs before coming back to Rugby. The powerful forward represented the HSBC Junior Waratahs in the 2011 IRB Pacific Rugby Cup and played alongside Hart at Southern Districts in the Shute Shield where he developed his ability to play at lock in addition to the back row.

LOTU TAUKEIAHO
Born: 12 May 1984, Sydney NSW
Physical: 184cm, 120kg
Position: Prop
School: Trinity Grammar School
Junior Club: Canterbury
Club: Randwick
Rep Honours: NSW U19, Australian Barbarians, Sydney
Randwick front rower Lotu Taukeiaho has been a regular fixture alongside many more well-known players in the Galloping Greens teams which qualified for the Shute Shield Grand Finals from 2008 to 2010. As well as making regular appearances for the Australian Barbarians, Taukeiaho was also selected for the Sydney representative team in 2011.

NATHAN TRIST
Born: 22 December 1982, Kiama NSW
Physical: 188cm, 99kg
Position: Outside Back
School: Hursltone Agricultural High School
Junior Club: Kiama Cows
Club: Sydney University
Rep Honours: Melbourne Rebels, Brumbies Runners, Australian Universities, Australian Sevens
Sydney University back Nathan Trist comes into the EPS having established himself as a regular first grader at one of Sydney’s strongest clubs. The medical student has made a habit of forcing himself into the Students’ Shute Shield XV ahead of players on Super Rugby contracts, and his selection in the 2011 Shute Shield Finals series is evidence of that. A qualified physiotherapist, Trist is now studying medicine and played for the Melbourne Rebels in the 2007 Australian Rugby Shield. In 2004 Trist set two Sydney University club records when he scored 64 points, including eight tries, in a fourth grade game against Penrith.

Status
Not open for further replies.