• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Team Of The Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have been giving this more thought and have found playing partner for North, so backs are:

15 North
14 North
13 North
12 SBW
11 North
10 Priestland
9 Genia

Forwards still to come

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm predicting the forwards to be:
8. Warburton
7. Warburton
6. Warburton
5. AW Jones
4. AW Jones

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's the trouble, Heresy I know and I will have to offer a prayer at my shrine to Gareth Edwards for saying it but I don't actually think the Welsh forwards are the best. For instance on evidence to hand can I 1) pick Breadman Warburton over McCaw? 2) AWJ over Matfield. 3) Faletau or Ryan over Kaino. Can't be done. At least not yet. No, the forwards will have to wait until after these head-to-head clashes for direct comparisons.

And whilst I am on the subject of our forwards, loved Jenkin's try when he threw a dummy and a sidestep. Reckon he is one of the best props of the tournament. However, just like that doughboy Dunning now he has started kicking in broken play! Sure, Shove did score from one of his kicks, but that was completely fluke. Message to Gatland - stop this practice immediately no good will come of it. Props are props and ever more shall be so

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reconsidering my team now after watching Ireland and Wales destroy each other and the French at their best against the Poms.
Names to watch in the semi.

FRA - #13 Rougerie
WAL - #12 Roberts
FRA - #6 Dosetoir
FRA - #8 Harinordiquy
WAL - #2 Bennett
FRA - #9 Yachvilli
WAL - #7 Warburton

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
backs of the tournament more difficult than yesterday. I can't drop SBW for Jamie 'jaw' roberts can I? Might have to shift one of the george norths out so I can bring Jon (foxy) Davies in, and genia might have to go for Weepu (despite my belief that in right circumsatances he is world #1)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cracking games tonight, you could make a pretty good team out of the Quarter-Finalists but for mine, as it stands now, this would be my best 22.
1. Cian Healy (IRE) - As strong as they come, looked very solid in the Irish scrum and hasn't gone backwards all tournament.
2. Bismark du Plessis (RSA) - Nearly won the game single handedly against AUS and was dynamic in group stages. Sad to see him gone.
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA) - Absolute beast at scrum time and around the park. Heart of a lion, strength of an ox.
4. Luke Charteris (WAL) - Been a standout in the Welsh forward pack, stood up against the Irish and was huge.
5. Dannie Rossouw (RSA) - Form lock of the tournament, no other options really.
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL) - Best blindside running around, makes metres and has been unstoppable so far.
7. David Pocock (AUS) - MOM in every game he has played, dominated breakdown versus RSA and cleaned up Russia. Irreplaceable.
8. Victor Gresev (RUS) - Heartbeat of Russia, was outstanding in his limited games. Included MOM performance against AUS.
9. Piri Weepu (NZL) - Unsung hero of AB campaign. Will need to be there for the AB's to win again, had limited game time.
10. Rhys Priestland (WAL) - Best 10 of the tournament once DC was gone, brains behind the brilliant Welsh back-line.
11. Vincent Clerc (FRA) - Finished well all tournament when given a sniff, best of the French backline so far.
12. Jordie Roberts (WAL) - No real competition here.
13. Ma'a Nonu (NZL) - Same go as Roberts
14. George North (WAL) - Huge impact every time he gets the ball, awesome finisher.
15. Maxime Merdad (FRA) - Had little publicity during group stages but stood up against ENG, one to watch in the semi's.

16. Stephen Moore (AUS) - Played well all tournament and looks to be in good form. Just gets nod over Huw Bennett (WAL)
17. Guthro Steenkamp (RSA) - Has looked in great form and was dominant against AUS and SAM. Just over Eion Murray (SCO)
18. Paul O'Connell (IRE) - Heartbeat of Ireland forward pack and looked in great form, sad to see him retiring. Just beats AW Jones (WAL)
19. Sean O'Brien (IRE) - Absolute freak and offers versatility. Not hard to see why he is 'player of the year', that is all. McCaw (NZL) behind him.
20. Francois Hougaard (RSA) - Super sub covers 9/11/14. In great form and has been great all tournament. Fotolui'i (SAM) unlucky.
21. Sonny Bill Williams (NZL) - Great prospect on the bench, looked in good touch and brilliant offloads. DTH VDM (CAN) next best.
22. James O'Connor (AUS) - Covers 10/11/12/14/15. Looks in good touch with the boot and has been superb under the high ball. Dagg next best.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good choices 'cept for Healy. If you watch the 35min or so of wales game. Watch Jenkins sledging him. He was poor against Adam

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Parisse and Fernandez-Lobbe ahead of Greesev at 8

Kahn Foutiliai'i possibly bench scrum-half.

Apart from that you're pretty much spot on.

W

waves

Cracking games tonight, you could make a pretty good team out of the Quarter-Finalists but for mine, as it stands now, this would be my best 22.
1. Cian Healy (IRE) - As strong as they come, looked very solid in the Irish scrum and hasn't gone backwards all tournament.
2. Bismark du Plessis (RSA) - Nearly won the game single handedly against AUS and was dynamic in group stages. Sad to see him gone.
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA) - Absolute beast at scrum time and around the park. Heart of a lion, strength of an ox.
4. Luke Charteris (WAL) - Been a standout in the Welsh forward pack, stood up against the Irish and was huge.
5. Dannie Rossouw (RSA) - Form lock of the tournament, no other options really.
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL) - Best blindside running around, makes metres and has been unstoppable so far.
7. David Pocock (AUS) - MOM in every game he has played, dominated breakdown versus RSA and cleaned up Russia. Irreplaceable.
8. Victor Gresev (RUS) - Heartbeat of Russia, was outstanding in his limited games. Included MOM performance against AUS.
9. Piri Weepu (NZL) - Unsung hero of AB campaign. Will need to be there for the AB's to win again, had limited game time.
10. Rhys Priestland (WAL) - Best 10 of the tournament once DC was gone, brains behind the brilliant Welsh back-line.
11. Vincent Clerc (FRA) - Finished well all tournament when given a sniff, best of the French backline so far.
12. Jordie Roberts (WAL) - No real competition here.
13. Ma'a Nonu (NZL) - Same go as Roberts
14. George North (WAL) - Huge impact every time he gets the ball, awesome finisher.
15. Maxime Merdad (FRA) - Had little publicity during group stages but stood up against ENG, one to watch in the semi's.

16. Stephen Moore (AUS) - Played well all tournament and looks to be in good form. Just gets nod over Huw Bennett (WAL)
17. Guthro Steenkamp (RSA) - Has looked in great form and was dominant against AUS and SAM. Just over Eion Murray (SCO)
18. Paul O'Connell (IRE) - Heartbeat of Ireland forward pack and looked in great form, sad to see him retiring. Just beats AW Jones (WAL)
19. Sean O'Brien (IRE) - Absolute freak and offers versatility. Not hard to see why he is 'player of the year', that is all. McCaw (NZL) behind him.
20. Francois Hougaard (RSA) - Super sub covers 9/11/14. In great form and has been great all tournament. Fotolui'i (SAM) unlucky.
21. Sonny Bill Williams (NZL) - Great prospect on the bench, looked in good touch and brilliant offloads. DTH VDM (CAN) next best.
22. James O'Connor (AUS) - Covers 10/11/12/14/15. Looks in good touch with the boot and has been superb under the high ball. Dagg next best.

Very similar side just a few changes:

1. Healy (IRE)
2. Du Plessis (RSA)
3. Castrogiovanni (ITA)
4. Charteris (WAL)
5. Rossouw (RSA)
6. Kaino (NZL)
7. Pocock (AUS)
8. Parisse (ITA) - Deserves a mention, has been the heart and soul of Italian forwards alongside Castro.
9. Weepu (NZL)
10. Priestland (WAL)
11 O'Connor (AUS) - This kid continues to amaze me I thought the game he had today was nothing short of outstanding. Great backup 15 aswell.
12. Roberts (WAL)
13. Nonu (NZL)
14. North (WAL)
15. Halfpenny (WAL) - Does anyone else not rate him ? I honestly think he has played consistently at the back for Wales and was big for them against Ireland. Beale and Merdard are worthy selections but for me he takes the cake.

16. Moore (AUS)
17. Figallo (ARG) - To have writers announce him as Player of Pool B being at only 24yr years of age. Big future and has been a standout for the Pumas thus far.
18. O'Connell (IRE)
19. Warburton (WAL) - No doubt O'Brien has been an absolute inspiration for Ireland, but for what this kid has done in the past month has just been incredible leads from the front alongside Faletau that Welsh backrow looks very solid for their upcoming match. Im jumping on the bandwagon.
20. Hougaard (RSA)
21. Barnes (AUS) - With every game Barnes has continued to show me he is a World Class player. Now with my backup 15 being O'Connor I believe the only other spot to have a backup would be at 10. Best 10s in the comp up to date Wilkinson - NO, Parra - NO, Slade - NO, Cooper - SHIT NO ! A dark horse but slides very well into a side of this calibre.
22. Bill Williams (NZL)

S

saulih

I agree. And to add to my dislike he often tackles late or dirty, sometimes both.

"late", "dirty" - often? Hardly. The guy is a machine and integral part of the US team. I would start him.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm not sure how you can pick Healy. Healy had a good game against the weak Australian scrum but then lost his battle with his Welsh opponent and then missed the tackle that sealed the game against Wales. I'd have Woodcock and Steenkamp amongst others before Healy.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Healy
2. du Plessis
3. Castrogiovanni
4. Charteris
5. O'Connell
6. Kaino (Form player of the Rugby World Cup. Unstoppable)
7. Pocock (A close second to Kaino)
8. Parisse
9. Weepu
10. Priestland
11. Ioane
12. Roberts
13. Nonu
14. Clerc
15. Dagg
------------------
16. Moore
17. Figallo
18. Rossouw
19. Warburton
20. Yachvili
21. O'Connor (close to making the starting XV, having really impressed during the last pool games and QF)
22. North

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Talk about goal kickers, 4 in that team. Would have to agree Swarley, although Warburton would have serious competition with O'Brien. Ioane wouldn't be ahead of Kahui or North.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Taniela Moa? He played for the Blues for a few seasons and then the Chiefs I think.

As a Blues fan, I couldn't have been happier when we signed Mathewson and Smylie. And now Weepu :)
as a chiefs fan i am still f**ked of we signed that fat ****

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The team of the RWC has got to have at least a few New Zealanders in it, with a few contenders listed in brackets. Basically, if a New Zealander isn't first pick there is almost certainly one in second spot:

1. Taumalolo (Jenkins) - from when he came on as a reserve against NZ, to the final match with France he was on fire
2. du Plessis (Mealamu) - best hooker in the world (therefore biggest selection error of the World Cup PdV!)
3. Owen Franks (Castrogiovanni)
4. Matfield (Nallet) - class right to the end
5. Thorn (Wyn Jones) - tough as nails
6. Kaino (Skalk "The Optometrist" Burger)
7. Pocock (take your pick McCaw, Warburton...)
8. Parisse (Harinorduquay, Reid) - he'd make the All Blacks if he qualified
9. Fotoualii (Phillips)
10. Priestland (Tusi Pisi)
11. Kahui (North)
12. Nonu (JOC (James O'Connor) - fuck it, its my list and I say he plays 12)
13. Manu Tuilagi - The only decent 'English' player
14. Clerc
15. Dagg (Medard)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
1.Cian Healy. (Gethin Jenkins)
2.Huw Bennett. If SA won't pick Bismark I'm fecked if I will.
3.Adam Jones. (Owen Franks)
4.Charteris/ Horwill
5. Paul O'Connell (Sharpe)
6. SOB. (Lydiate)
7. Pocock/ Warburton.
8.Harinordiquy, the best no 8 the world has ever seen and given he and Yashvilli have been de facto coaches as well, unbelieveable. (read)
9.Phillips( feel grubby saying it dirty fucker) Fotoualii.
10.Priestland( Carter so sorry that a true gent comparable to Federer as a sportsman will not be gracing the final)
11.North. (Ionae, sorry about the spelling but sorry to have not seen more of him)
12. Roberts(Nonu)
13.JOC (James O'Connor)( 'fuck it, it is my list' and that is where I would love to see him play, a glorious talent and a joy to watch. Please get him closer to the ball (apart from against Ireland). Would have loved to have seen him against BOD in his prime, now that would be something to behold. (Conrad Smith)
14.Jane. (Kahui, Guildford, SBW FFS so much talent it is ridiculous)
15. Dagg/ Halfpenny.

Very honourable mention for the choirs who have sung the anthems, they have been my highlight of the RWC, they even make 'Ireland's Call' sound half way passable and that is no mean feat. The singing before SA V Wales will live with me forever!!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The team of the RWC has got to have at least a few New Zealanders in it, with a few contenders listed in brackets. Basically, if a New Zealander isn't first pick there is almost certainly one in second spot:

1. Taumalolo (Jenkins) - from when he came on as a reserve against NZ, to the final match with France he was on fire
2. du Plessis (Mealamu) - best hooker in the world (therefore biggest selection error of the World Cup PdV!)
3. Owen Franks (Castrogiovanni)
4. Matfield (Nallet) - class right to the end
5. Thorn (Wyn Jones) - tough as nails
6. Kaino (Skalk "The Optometrist" Burger)
7. Pocock (take your pick McCaw, Warburton...)
8. Parisse (Harinorduquay, Reid) - he'd make the All Blacks if he qualified
9. Fotoualii (Phillips)
10. Priestland (Tusi Pisi)
11. Kahui (North)
12. Nonu (JOC (James O'Connor) - fuck it, its my list and I say he plays 12)
13. Manu Tuilagi - The only decent 'English' player
14. Clerc
15. Dagg (Medard)
I actually don't think anyone is being Anti NZ. I know I was trying to be clever with my team and include the other players. Maybe that is why NZ are going to win on sunday, they are such a fantastic team that we can't pick out the individuals. I know you Aussies have had it tough in the last year or so with the terrible floods and bush fires; And typical of your selves you have born these calamities with a stoicism that you would not consider unusual but the rest of the world considers exceptional; but there was something about the reaction of the crusaders players after the earthquake that struck a chord with me. Sure they are stupidly precious about their morris dance, sure McCaw couldn't lie straight in bed(In Rugby terms but he is not a cheap shot, dirty player IMHO) but they are some fucking team and a fair few of them knew where their priorities lay after that dreadful earthquake. I have enjoyed reading and posting on Greenandgold during the RWC, thank you for your welcome and hospitality.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queer Eye for the Rugby Guy: RWC2011 edition

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/around-the-cup/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503176&objectid=10761099

Celebrating our inclusiveness. RIP Mark Kendall Bingham.
Mark_Bingham1.jpg

Victoria University senior law lecturer Dean Knight, who is on sabbatical in London, created Facebook page Queer Eye for the Rugby Guy: RWC2011 edition, calling for nominations "by gays with a special eye for ruggers".

The page had 273 likes and lots of discussion on the wall about which players should be selected. It also features plenty of pictures of topless rugby players.

Queer Eye for the Rugby Guy 1st XV
1. Cian Healy (Ire)
2. Ross Ford (Sco)
3. Owen Franks (NZ)
4. Courtney Lawes (Eng)
5. Victor Matfield (SAF)
6. Inaki Basauri (USA)
7. David Pocock (Captain) (Aus)
8. Sergio Parisse (Ita)
9. Mike Phillips (Wal)
10. Francois Trinh-Duc (Fra)
11. James O'Connor (Aus)