• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From Josh Rakic SMH

Mitchell in doubt for Tahs' opening match as injury jinx strikes again

Josh Rakic
November 22, 2011

WALLABIES star Drew Mitchell will spend the next 12 weeks in rehab and is in danger of missing the start of the Super Rugby campaign after succumbing to a recurrence of the ankle injury that ended his 2011 season.

Less than a month into pre-season training and the Waratahs are already resigned to starting the season without the winger. Mitchell revealed to the Herald what was meant to be simple post-op clean-out last week turned into ligament surgery that has resulted in him returning to crutches.

"I had a bit of irritation around the ankle that was coming on towards the end of my World Cup campaign that I was managing and then despite having a little bit of time off because of the hamstring tear, the ankle was getting worse," he said.

"So I got a few scans and things done, and there was a bit of a bone irregularity that needed to be shaved back because the tendon was flicking over it and it was being irritated.

"We were hoping it'd be as simple as just going in there and shaving back the bone, but when they got in there they saw that the tendon was already torn four centimetres, so they had to remove part of it, about 20 per cent, to allow it to grow back to its normal state and strength.

"So what was going to be a six-week injury is now more like a 12-week injury."

That time frame makes him eligible to play in the Waratahs' opening Super Rugby match, but the 27-year-old is determined not to rush his return, having played less than 200 minutes of rugby since damaging his ankle in April.

"At this stage I should be ready to start playing again by the end of February but I rushed back pretty quickly to get back for the World Cup and, in the end, not having the conditioning in my legs caused a big tear in my hammy and back problems," Mitchell said.

"The body wasn't able to cope with the workload and fatigue, and that's probably why I'm where I am now.

"So this time around I want to make sure I've got the metres under my legs, the muscle and conditioning to be able to take the workload. I'll gauge it as I'm going through my rehab but I'm not going to be in any rush this time.

"The ankle was irritating me during the World Cup but we're not sure if it was gone then. But I haven't run since the World Cup, so you'd have to think that maybe it was," Mitchell, who came off the bench against Ireland and the United States before tearing his hamstring against Russia, said.

"The general feel is now that it's good that we know what we're dealing with. I'm on crutches, non-weight bearing, and in a week I'll get in the boot and be able to walk around a little bit and pretty much start again from scratch.

"So 2011, I won't be too sad to see the back of it come New Year's Eve."

Also on the Wallabies' long-term injury list are Dan Vickerman (shoulder) and Rocky Elsom, who has undergone shoulder surgery as well as hamstring surgery.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Round one is the grudge game against the Reds for which you'd like to be at full strength and really ready to go in for the kill. But it doesn't look like the team will be at full strength. The returning from injury/not available list now includes:

Ben Robinson: May or may not be at full match fitness after a reconstruction.
TPN: Looked pretty crocked for most of last year and was only a shadow of himself at the WC. No idea how he'll recover.
Sekope Kepu: Played a lot of rugby last year and by the end of the WC looked injured and exhausted. No idea how he'll recover.
Dan Vickerman: Shoulder surgery, may not even be ready to start let alone fully conditioned.
Sitaleki Timani: Not back from Japan. Will have been playing/training continuously for nearly 18 months when he touches down. Unlikely to be fresh, could be burnt out.
Rocky Elsom: Shoulder and hamstring surgery. May not be available round one and would be best eased back in via the bench in the first half of the season given the record on his hamstrings.
Cliff Palu: Dodgy hamstrings as per Rocky.

It looks to me like the pack could be seriously underdone come the start of the comp. Still, I rate our depth but it could well be heavily tested in round one. If things don't go to plan we could see a team list that reads: Tilse, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Douglas, Peterson, Mumm, Dennis, Alcock with Ulugia, Taukeiaho, Lopeti Timani and McCutcheon on the bench. I know that's the worst case scenario but after the 2011 injury toll can you blame me for being nervous? Its not a good way to start a season and I wouldn't think Mitchell would start till round 3 or 4 either.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Fingers crossed with the injury list we already have, the boys will keep us in it and we will be full strength in the second half of the comp hitting straps for the finals rather than the other way around again.

W

waves

It looks to me like the pack could be seriously underdone come the start of the comp. Still, I rate our depth but it could well be heavily tested in round one. If things don't go to plan we could see a team list that reads: Tilse, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Douglas, Peterson, Mumm, Dennis, Alcock with Ulugia, Taukeiaho, Lopeti Timani and McCutcheon on the bench. I know that's the worst case scenario but after the 2011 injury toll can you blame me for being nervous? Its not a good way to start a season and I wouldn't think Mitchell would start till round 3 or 4 either.

Great post although on that starting team. Peterson during the back end of last season underwent a shoulder reconstruction and has trouble throughout his rehabilitation. I would expect our starting side:

1. Tilse
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Ryan
4. Mumm
5. Douglas
6. McCutcheon
7. Pocock
8. Dennis

16. Ulugia
17. Taukeiaho
18. Peterson
19. L. Timani

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great post although on that starting team. Peterson during the back end of last season underwent a shoulder reconstruction and has trouble throughout his rehabilitation. I would expect our starting side:

1. Tilse
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Ryan
4. Mumm
5. Douglas
6. McCutcheon
7. Pocock
8. Dennis

16. Ulugia
17. Taukeiaho
18. Peterson
19. L. Timani

You're trolling right?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fingers crossed with the injury list we already have, the boys will keep us in it and we will be full strength in the second half of the comp hitting straps for the finals rather than the other way around again.

On the bright side, this is a fantastic chance for some young players to really step up and stake a claim.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand why Kepu is being deemed as not starting, he has plenty of time to recover from an eye injury and being tired

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Great post although on that starting team. Peterson during the back end of last season underwent a shoulder reconstruction and has trouble throughout his rehabilitation.

That's not good news on Peterson, we are already very skinny at lock. One injury and we could well be pulling someone from outside the 35 in round two. That would be a record, but not one that anyone would aspire to.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's not good news on Peterson, we are already very skinny at lock. One injury and we could well be pulling someone from outside the 35 in round two. That would be a record, but not one that anyone would aspire to.

He is fine and scheduled to start full contact training next week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Super Sarel wants to be a Bok
Rugby365
Super Sarel still keen to be Bok No.9
Having hovered on the fringes of Springbok selection in 2011, Sarel Pretorius is determined to one day fulfil his dream of playing international rugby for South Africa.
Pretorius, who moved base to Sydney to join up with the Waratahs for 2012, said he would return to SA at the drop of a hat if he were to get a chance of playing for the Springboks.
"Ever since being a little boy growing up in South Africa, it's been my dream to play for the Springboks," the talented halfback told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.
Pretorius signed with the Waratahs for the next two years, although he will be back in South Africa to play for the Cheetahs in the 2012 Currie Cup competition after the completion of the Super Rugby season at the end of July.
This year he was named in an initial pre-World Cup Bok squad that also featured Fourie du Preez, Francois Hougaard, Ricky Januarie and Charl McLeod. Januarie had subsequently retired and the name of Ruan Pienaar was added to the list.
However, the final World Cup squad featured Du Preez, Hougaard and Pienaar - with McLeod the official reserve scrumhalf.
Many felt Pretorius, who was named South Africa's Super Rugby Player of the Year last season and was a member of the Emerging SA team at the IRB Nations Cup in 2008, should have at least featured in the Boks' away leg of the Tri-Nations - when 20-odd top Springboks were on a pre-World Cup conditioning camp in Rustenburg.
Nursing a minor groin injury which has forced him to take a three-week break from squad training, Pretorius said he was settling into life in Sydney.
Waratahs coach Michael Foley said the player had shown no signs of letting success go to his head and commended the No.9 on his strong work ethic.
"He's a great player and has settled in really well to our club so far," Foley said
* Meanwhile, the Waratahs' senior assistant coach Alan Gaffney has praised his fellow coaches, believing their hard work is already paying off.
"The players look forward to training because they are constantly challenged," said Gaffney, who joined the set up last month.
Under the direction of new head coach Foley, Scott Bowen and Greg Mumm have worked alongside Athletic Development Manager Haydn Masters to put together a pre-season program that challenges players, physically and mentally.
"There is fantastic variety in training and the players are enjoying themselves and it shows in their work ethic," said Gaffney.
"Although the focus is on conditioning, there is a lot of skills work incorporated into our sessions, through small-sided training games like tag and gridiron touch.
"I remember a time 10 years ago when there were often no balls in sight for the first 10 weeks of training. Always at training, we should be working with ball in hand: you play with a ball so you should train with a ball.
"Everyone has to be a decision maker in their own right and already, Foles [Michael Foley] has done a great job at ensuring everyone knows their role when it comes to leadership and decision making.
"Our attacking sessions are designed to work on the players' communication and are always played at pace. We make them progressively more challenging by reducing the space the players have to work with and increasing the defensive pressure on them.

"Although the wet and windy conditions have made it difficult, the players have worked very hard to make sure there's no noticeable drop off in quality after the conditioning work and that's impressed me."

Status
Not open for further replies.