• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Its unrealistic to think kids can play a school football mid week and then club on weekends. how about school seasons starting earlier then having a arc style tournament within the sydney zones. As part of being selected in these squads you have to then play your first year out of school from a club within your zone .. Just an idea to spread the talent , will probably get rubbished by the 'old boys union' on here

I like it

K

Keithy

Its unrealistic to think kids can play a school football mid week and then club on weekends. how about school seasons starting earlier then having a arc style tournament within the sydney zones. As part of being selected in these squads you have to then play your first year out of school from a club within your zone .. Just an idea to spread the talent , will probably get rubbished by the 'old boys union' on here

So if a kid from Dubbo boards @ Kings is zoned in Parramatta. Then 1st year out of school the player studies medicine @ Sydney Uni still has to play at Parramatta. Good luck travelling from Camperdown to Granville in the traffic for training. This is nothing to do with old boys union but logistics.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just like all those other kids that study medicine straight out of school at Usyd... :fishing

B

Balcknred

Doesn't have to be parra , could be Eastwood wests or penrith as well

K

Keithy

Penrith would be impossible from Camperdown through traffic. I guess all the players would gravitate to Eastwood. Doesn't solve the talent spread problem.

B

Balcknred

Penrith would be impossible from Camperdown through traffic. I guess all the players would gravitate to Eastwood. Doesn't solve the talent spread problem.

Given that there is only 15 1st xv jersey available at any club On any given week I'm sure guys just out of school would be smart enough to realize that playing 1st grade is a lot more attractive than 2nd grade, given that your going to have guys you went to school with and schools from the surrounding area to my thinking will be a aid rather than a hindernce ...

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Given that there is only 15 1st xv jersey available at any club On any given week I'm sure guys just out of school would be smart enough to realize that playing 1st grade is a lot more attractive than 2nd grade, given that your going to have guys you went to school with and schools from the surrounding area to my thinking will be a aid rather than a hindernce ...
There are so many reasons why that comment is wrong.

K

Keithy

Penrith 1st grade isn't that attractive compared to Uni/Eastwood 2nd grade or even Drummoyne's Kentwell Cup team.

B

Balcknred

Penrith 1st grade isn't that attractive compared to Uni/Eastwood 2nd grade or even Drummoyne's Kentwell Cup team.

Totally agree but as if you can stand out in a average team than its a lot better than blending in a good side , this is the mind set we have to change then people may realize there are pathways out side the big 5 - but that's not clubs job to educate players it's new rugby and weve all seen what they do to disperse talent, like I said it was just a idea if anyone can suggest something better bring it on the forum and try put your club loyalties aside if you do for the sake of club rugby

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
or the boy who studies at sydney uni, couldn't get a training run let alone a game with Uni, then went to play its grade colts all year for Randwick.
He is changing Universities not rugby clubs though.

Just like all those other kids that study medicine straight out of school at Usyd... :fishing

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
are any of the colts good enough to play grade for the wicks in 2012?

Tom Connor is up there in the top squad, most of the others are still eligible for colts....
Centre Terence (cant remember surname) looks the goods and carved up against much more experienced players at the Singapore 7s. Strong as an ox in the gym too...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
or the boy who studies at sydney uni, couldn't get a training run let alone a game with Uni, then went to play its grade colts all year for Randwick.
He is changing Universities not rugby clubs though.

Sorry I was just being pedantic in that you can't study medicine as an undergrad at Sydney Uni, as mentioned in the original example.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
fair enough. my point was that Sydney Uni students are not given preference to play for Sydney Uni rugby. My guess is that there is probably a fair number of Sydney Uni students playing their rugby elsewhere because they can't get a look in at Uni. Likewise, Sydney Uni does not have too many students playing for it and if they are students, they were given concessions to get in. Good luck to them, they are a fine club. It just makes it very hard for others to compete without similar backing.

Sorry I was just being pedantic in that you can't study medicine as an undergrad at Sydney Uni, as mentioned in the original example.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Hows that saying go again, say nothing and people might think you're a fool - say something and you just confirm their thoughts!

If you did some due diligence you might note that there have been many ex Wests juniors turn up at other clubs just like next year with Cummins and Windon going to other clubs.

Other notables over the years have included Michael Foley, Bill Young, Tony Daley and numerous others. Put your brain in gear before you shove your mouth into overdrive with dribble.

I didnt know Hills Sports High and St Pats Strathfield were Wests junior development clubs...........Same as Joeys where Bill Young went............

I'm talking about Wests only having 1 junior club for years, doing NOTHING to grow the number clubs within the district (let's face it, not every kid goes to private school) and then just sitting back and poaching from baulkaum hills, merrylands, rooty hill, blacktown, beecroft, hillview etc..........

You West Harbour blokes are so pathetic when questioned. Here's one for you, you blokes made a 100K profit in 2010, yet failed to make the semi's in 09,10,11 with arguably the second best player roster in the comp (certainly in 09 and 10, not so much in 11) in 1st grade. From all reports 2011 was just a political nightmare. Has anyone within the club actually asked why the players are leaving by the dozen????????

Cummins, Su'a, Afualo, Ah Lam, Paurini, Windon, Ayoub, Hunkin, Salanoa, Seavula...................the list goes on and on[/QUOTE]

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yet another post from you criticising the West Harbour club.
You clearly have a personal enmity towards the Wests club.
Reading between the lines , it would suggest that you have had unhappy personal dealings with the club, resulting in your predictable negative remarks.
To say that Wests had the second best roster in 2009/10 is laughable, although you at least conceded it was "arguable "
And you seem to find it incongruous that West can turn a decent profit on the one hand , but loose some of its players on the other.
I suggest, as others have done previously , that one of the principal reasons for this situation is that the club is not willing to pay over the odds fees to players with an over inflated opinion of their worth.The consequences are that Wests
finish lower down on the table than they otherwise would , but it also results
in the club being able to exist in future years , unlike some more successful clubs who seem to be constantly teetering on the brink.
It has also resulted in the club having some of the best facilities of any of the Shute Shield competitors.
Of course there are other reasons why players swap clubs ,but these are not peculiar to Wests club , even Manly are not immune to these.

T

Tahboy

I don't think you should be bragging about Wests having some of the best facilities due to good management by Wests. Concord was rebuilt by dubious means for the 1987 world cup and if the Wests Tigers didn't have concord as their training venue most of the training facilities would not be there. Wests have had some strong playing rosters over the years and there Colts are always in the finals yet they struggle to get close to making the top 6 in the Shute Shield and over the past years have had high profile coaches in Joe Barracat and Matt Wiiliams yet struggled to make any impact. There must be more too it as why they cannot consistantly compete

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think you should be bragging about Wests having some of the best facilities due to good management by Wests. Concord was rebuilt by dubious means for the 1987 world cup and if the Wests Tigers didn't have concord as their training venue most of the training facilities would not be there. Wests have had some strong playing rosters over the years and there Colts are always in the finals yet they struggle to get close to making the top 6 in the Shute Shield and over the past years have had high profile coaches in Joe Barracat and Matt Wiiliams yet struggled to make any impact. There must be more too it as why they cannot consistantly compete

Quite the contrary. To have a ground redeveloped and not have to fund any of it is exceptional management.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
fair enough. my point was that Sydney Uni students are not given preference to play for Sydney Uni rugby. My guess is that there is probably a fair number of Sydney Uni students playing their rugby elsewhere because they can't get a look in at Uni. Likewise, Sydney Uni does not have too many students playing for it and if they are students, they were given concessions to get in. Good luck to them, they are a fine club. It just makes it very hard for others to compete without similar backing.
Seemingly odd for Uni to be offering incentives to non-USyd undergrads - happens in other sports and it becomes somewhat farcical when they turn up for another Uni at inter-varsity.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As far as I'm aware most of Uni's players from colts through are studying while they are playing. Obviously Uni are in a position to be able to offer scholarships in some cases but with a student body of almost 50,000 there are always going to be some that miss out and play for other clubs (or would prefer to do so anyway)

W

waves

Tom Connor is up there in the top squad, most of the others are still eligible for colts....
Centre Terence (cant remember surname) looks the goods and carved up against much more experienced players at the Singapore 7s. Strong as an ox in the gym too...

Tom Connor training with the top squad will benefit his ability to play First Grade in the future although its a big ask for him. Tim McGan and Seilala Lam are the rock of that backrow let alone team. He can fill in the void if needed through injury although its better to see him develop rather than injected underdone.

Status
Not open for further replies.