• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Academy 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

Can anyone confirm the players in which have been picked to train as apart of the extended Super squads ?

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I understand what you mean now Lily. It is hard to judge, at the High school and shool leaving age, as to who will go on and who won't, who will keep developing/growing and who won't and then there are some that mature later than others. Balancing it all is difficlt and costs money. There are those who play Prem grade and are extpected to do well and don't, then those who aren't really expected to step up yet and do. Hard job being a selector, one I woudn't want.

K

Keithy

Can someone explain to me why Bill Meakes and Jacob Woodhouse, who incidently were in the 20s this year not be in this. Same goes for Katone Ale who is only 21 and was one of Manly's best all year. All 3 of these guys played premier rugby all year. I assume it's for the same reason as why so many do not take up academy spots. The ARU believe it's OK for players to stay at home and bludge off their parents. It's fine if your parents are wealthy. Unfortunately some aren't and they have to work meaning the tiny amount of coin the ARU are prepared to splash out is not enough to pay for the necessities in life.
Too much money is chucked at the 16 to 20 year olds. They need to start rewarding the next level a bit more. The establishment of the EPS is a step in the right direction but as seen by some of the omissions more work needs to be done to retain them.

I agree Lily. Woodhouse had a good club rugby season in a top 3 side. I would like to add Sam Roberson to your list. Sam is only 21, has played for Australian. age teams in the past and is the Sydney Uni 1st grade hooker but wasn't selected. Instead they selected Guy Miller who played alot of Colts 2 in 2011 and finished the season in Colts 3 at Sydney Uni.

A

Albert

Team

Trawling through a few Shute Shield club websites (to try and confirm ins and outs at each club for 2012), I came across this update at Souths juniors:
http://www.southerndistrictsjuniors.com/uploads/9/3/5/4/9354639/rebel_news_vol_3.pdf

Most interesting is this grab from the website:

ARU NSW ACADEMY V. QLD ACADEMY

3 Feb, 2012 - Southern Districts Rugby Club are pleased to announce that following the SDJRU Try Rugby 'Have a go Day' on the 18th Feb at the Forshaw. The club will be hosting an exhibition game between the ARU NSW based Academy players & the Queensland based Academy players. Kick-off is at 4pm. Come on down and see the future of the Wallabies in action.
Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I was out at Ballymore last week watching the Academy players train. The ARU flew the Sydney based players up for a day so they could all train together. This exhibition game would be well worth going to - plenty of talent to be excited about.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great to see, I hope the guys get a few "game" opportunities during the year as that seems to have been missing in the previous setup. The one downside to the new setup is where the main squad members who don't make game day get their extra game time from?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Albert. My word the ARU are good at keeping secrets aren't they?

I might just drive down to the Shire to see it though I will have to take a cut lunch with me; it will be like a road trip.

I was there at Forshaw when SD had their open day last year - it was before a Junior Tahs match. They do a great job - kids everywhere broken into groups of age/experience. Each of the Village clubs in the district had a sign-up tent there too.

lreid

Bob McCowan (2)
Team

Trawling through a few Shute Shield club websites (to try and confirm ins and outs at each club for 2012), I came across this update at Souths juniors:
http://www.southerndistrictsjuniors.com/uploads/9/3/5/4/9354639/rebel_news_vol_3.pdf

Most interesting is this grab from the website:

ARU NSW ACADEMY V. QLD ACADEMY

3 Feb, 2012 - Southern Districts Rugby Club are pleased to announce that following the SDJRU Try Rugby 'Have a go Day' on the 18th Feb at the Forshaw. The club will be hosting an exhibition game between the ARU NSW based Academy players & the Queensland based Academy players. Kick-off is at 4pm. Come on down and see the future of the Wallabies in action.
Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?
There is a media release regarding this match on the ARU website

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - don't know how I couldn't find it this morning - but it kind of proves my point. Albert posted what he did on Thursday and the ARU did theirs on Friday. Would have been nice to have it on a calendar a week or so before - or as soon as they planned it, which would have a little while back.

Too picky? As you were then.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Queensland Academy 35 NSW Academy 21 (I think)

There was some good talent on display but you could see that the lads were playing their first game of the year and that the combinations were new.

NSW played well with the wind at their backs and looked set to go into oranges at 14-0 up but a breakout try to Felsman set up by Lagavesi made it 14-7 instead. It wasn't enough lead especially with the Qld replacements bossing the NSW reserves in the 2nd half and the visitors ended up winning by 5 converted tries to 3.

There were some remarkable conversions in the match with Volovola (1) and Ambrosino (2) kicking them from touch despite crosswinds.

Players suffered individually from a lack of team cohesion, but here are some thoughts about a few of the players and the positions I thought they played:

NSW

• 2. Roach* – like a terrier all day: on the ball like a fetcher and giving big hits. I fear he is not going to big enough to be an established pro player though.

• 4. Cummins* - Classy lock but looked small compared to Qld big boppers who threw their weight around.

• 6. Wells* – Skilful workhorse but destined to become a notter, I fear.

• 7. S. Latunipulu – one of oldest players of the day and one of the best; tore into everything.

• 8 and 6 Reid – the Hair Bear had a few good runs and was good in the lineouts too

• 8. Vaingolo – unhappy game with hands; not enough participations either.

• 9. Wessells* – showed off his lovely pass and combined well with Volovola but had a serious knee injury in the second half.

• 10. Volavola – wonderful 1st half including some judicious cross kicking for wingers. Should run more because when he ran once he set up a try for Coleman.

• 12. A. Latunipulu* – good wriggly game; hard to put down.

• 14. Niko – Good game from this rangy fast player.

Queensland

• 3. R. Smith - 1st time I've seen him since he played for Qld Schools. Hope he doesn't go back to the RSA because he has potential as a senior player. Ran into a bloke once with the ball and the impact was like a rifle shot.

• 5. Enever – Brad Thorn type lock and hits the rucks. Not too many backward steps to count.

• 6. Ah Wong – excellent prospect – hard, skilful player with athletic build. Watch this space.

• 8. Havelu – Butler was not bad at all in the 1st half but this bloke had and enormous TPN-like impact in the 2nd – not least on himself. But he would get up and throw his body into everything again. I felt sore watching him.

• 9. M.Lucas* – still small but has built himself up and plays more robustly. Good game.

• 10. Ambrosini – excellent game 2nd half including goal kicking; has the right temperament.

• 11. Fa'alava'au – from Las Vegas in the Sevens last week to Forshaw Park in the Shire. A bit of a comedown but he played well. The 18 year old Victorian showed his class with several tricky runs.

• 12. Malouf – set up two tries from sensational long runs on great lines like he was covered in snakes and spiders.

• 13. Faulkner – several classy runs but suffered with the combinations.

• 15. Felsman* - Looked fast and made good decisions to find space though he held on too long a couple of times.

* Players who are eligible for Oz U/20 this year.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Lee,

Your observations are, as always, much appreciated.

Will Skelton is listed as being in the playing squad. Did he play?

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
10. Volavola – wonderful 1st half including some judicious cross kicking for wingers. Should run more because when he ran once he set up a try for Coleman

Any relation to Peni Volavola, Qld prop mid 80's maybe 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.