• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Hobbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Can't wait. My English Teacher in Grade 4 used to have someone read aloud to the class in the final English period on a Friday when everyone was past doing real work. I read The Hobbit to my class over what must have been a couple of terms. It was my introduction to Tolkien. By the time I had finished reading the book in class, I was onto The Lord of the Ring - The Two Towers at home. Must have read the books half a dozen times now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can't wait, meself. Big fan of all the books, and, in a way, The Hobbit is the best "made for a movie" tale of all of them, despite the great job Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy. I think my son might be in too!

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I am soooo excited for this, just wish it was 14/12/2012 already! This one is a definite Gold Class midnight session for me. YAY.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A brilliant book and I'm sure Jackson will do a good job with the film. I've read these bad boys multiple times as well as some of Tolkien's others (which I found slightly less accessible).

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
The trailer is really just a teaser, and it's still in principal photography until March 2012. Post Production is going to be massive, but still - its a year out and they're issuing teaser trailers?

Cruel bastiges...

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Some interesting stuff they are doing with the filming, pity we don't have any digital cinemas that will be able to take full advantage of it.

A little more at Source

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Ok I don't know anything about movie magic. But the makeup and facial hair isn't going to look like that in the final version is it?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
No, if you watch to the end, they talk about how the filming process desaturates the picture, so they have to over compensate the set, make-up and costumes to ensure it looks right in the end.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Have a look at Jackson in Production Diary #1 compared to #4.

That movie is kicking his arse.

He'll need to check into a Health Farm for 12 months after it all wraps.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
SF - re the makeup and hair - it's really odd the way it works. When you're on a film set EVERYTHING looks fake and horrible. The walls, the furniture, the landscapes. Then on film it all looks perfect and real. When you're on location and it's all real, they need to use filters and other tricks or when you see it on film it all looks really fake. It's very counterintuitive. Apparently its a lot worse with 3D capture because it soaks up light - they were saying red in particular. Grading would be tricky too because one is getting bounced off a mirror.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Saw the preview, and the actor playing Baggins looked so familiar but I couldn't place him. Last night, my brother in-law put on a copy of the English series of The Office, and there he was.

I new I'd seen him somewhere. Should be quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.