• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I have no problem with athletes seeking to maximise their income. To paraphrase Kerry Packer anyone who doesn't try to "needs their head checked". I'd just prefer they did the negotiations behind closed doors and not use the media to play the bidding parties against each other... I'm also not keen on staged 'meetings' in public places for photo ops.

SBW seems a decent down to earth bloke and I've have never heard a player or coach question his dedication to the task at hand. I wish him well in whatever he choses, I just hopes he sticks with his choice. When you retire and look back on your career, no matter what your nest egg looks like, you would prefer to be great at one thing than good at several things.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
But do you honestly consider him as one of the best inside center (or whatever position he can play) in the world?
He wasn't even the best in the Top 14 and was ranked behind Damien Traille!
That's basicly my point, he's doing headlines, everybody talks about him in the rugby community but does its perfs on the field deserves that much attention?
Sponsors should focus on guys like Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu that are really promoting the game. But I might be leaving in an idealistic world!

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
And hence we come the full circle, see here the Sud Rugby story about SBW: http://www.sudrugby.com/2011/12/sonny-bill-williams-derniere-saison-en-super-rugby/ ;) J'aime votre site.

As an aside, hypothetically, if the site were to become commercial, who would you sponsor to promote it? Obviously not SBW. A French Kiwi maybe like Byron Kelleher?

Touché...
Yep but unfortunately this article is not mine... it's from a journalist friend that lost its contract and know lack of exposure.
The blog is not meant to become commercial as it is just a hobby but hypothetically, I'll never use a guy that will be kicked out soon from a french team to promote it

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
But do you honestly consider him as one of the best inside center (or whatever position he can play) in the world?
He wasn't even the best in the Top 14 and was ranked behind Damien Traille!
That's basicly my point, he's doing headlines, everybody talks about him in the rugby community but does its perfs on the field deserves that much attention?
Sponsors should focus on guys like Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu that are really promoting the game. But I might be leaving in an idealistic world!

It doesn't matter who was better than him in France - whose spot did he undeservedly take in ABs? He didn't start - Ma'a pretty much owned that position. But I can tell you that I know for a fact that Ma'a definitely felt the pressure and the heat to perform to keep his nose ahead of SBW in the selectors reckoning. So SBW contributed to the ABs success even if that was all he did. But was there some other 12 or 13 running around NZ who hands down deserved to be in the squad over Sonny? I can't think of anyone. Maybe Rene Ranger.......Robbie Fruean at a pinch?!?!

And how do Conrad and Ma'a 'really' promote the game in a way that SBW doesn't? The reality is that sponsors go for the guys that look pretty and capture the public's imagination. That why the tight 5 don't feature as prominently or as often as even some of the fringe back-line players.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I've got nothing much to add to the story, but while I have never spoken to SBW I did eat at a restaurant while he did also. He was subjected to a stream of wellwishers and some f'wits coming up to himfor the duration of his meal and he was very polite to all of them.
I don't blame him much for leaving thr Dogs when he did, they were overrun with idiots such as Mason, Matuia, etc with only ElMasri being a seemingly good bloke at the time. I think I would have left them too if I was good enoughto get in there in the first place.
I have a friend who plays at Easts and he thinks there is a long way to go before SBW signs up and he thinks QC (Quade Cooper) is no chance at all. For what its worth.

S

spooony

One has got to look after himself to setup yourself up for the days you dont play sport anymore

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
On another thread there has been discussion of a pro rugby comp in the US starting up. If I was SBW and I was serious about pursuing a boxing career I would be investigating this a bit further. Its still early in his boxing career but he could be supplementing his boxing career whilst playing in the US rugby comp, the rugby comp could benefit from his rising profile in boxing. Just a thought. I wonder if they could afford him...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Speaking of Sonny Bill's boxing career; I doubt he'd go to the States to pursue it but with the announcement a little while ago that Barry Hall was going to re-enter the ring (apparently his career as an athlete started as boxing) surely the best possible fight you could ask for in Australia/NZ would be Baz v. SBW (well, maybe not for skill but certainly for market size, media attention and PPV money).

I'd pay to see it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Speaking of Sonny Bill's boxing career; I doubt he'd go to the States to pursue it but with the announcement a little while ago that Barry Hall was going to re-enter the ring (apparently his career as an athlete started as boxing) surely the best possible fight you could ask for in Australia/NZ would be Baz v. SBW (well, maybe not for skill but certainly for market size, media attention and PPV money).

I'd pay to see it.
Id pay to watch SBW get his A*** handed to him Barry Hall is a monster that should not be played with.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Id pay to watch SBW get his A*** handed to him Barry Hall is a monster that should not be played with.

Barry Hall isn't finding it as easy to walk back into boxing as he thought it would be. Struggling to get the body working.

Sadly, the only thing I don't like about SBW is his mates. I think he is unduely influenced by a pack of self promoting degenerates, and maybe isn't bright enough to rise above that on his own.

Either way, I hope he runs around in Rugby for a while longer, his offloading is fun to watch.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm a 12 year his senior overweight ex amature boxer. I would happily get knocked out by him for a heap of prize money. And he has the goods to be a great boxer if get rid of THE MAN. Also didn't THE MAN play for the roosters. Seems like what ever he does SBW.
NRL would love to see him back, be best thing for NRL in ages.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If SBW was a starting player in the AB's RWC team I expect he would have re-signed.

But as a bench unit getting minor games or starts on the wing, his brand is suffering

S

spooony

All the mud slinging aside. Is there anyone in here who knows about Boxing that can tell me if he is a decent boxer or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.