• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Professional Rugby set for the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Details are still few and far between and the article with the most information is locked behind a paywall but its appears plans are afoot for the announcement of a Professional Rugby League in the coming weeks to be initially based in the Western half of the USA where traditionally Rugby has its strongest footprint.

There has been a lot o speculation bouncing about on whether it was Rugby Union or League as its well known League has eyes on such an ambition but I have had it confirmed its Rugby.

So far it appears the composition of the League in terms of teams will closely follow the Utah Warriors model instead of the current clubs model of the Rugby Super League. Additionally, and this isn't confirmed as yet. There's suggestion that there may also be a TV component to the announcement.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why not just go with the NRL? it would still work, or the ARL... haha

Imagine the vitriol that would emerge. Would be worth it just for that.

A few more details, it will include at least one Canadian team and that teams will not be aligned with the RSL as they currently stand. Also according to the article, this proposal has legs.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
sounds good, maybe the yanks will learn to play sports the rest of the world enjoys... (basketball excluded)

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah it does. Could be what is needed to bring the both the US and Canada to the next level.

Given the size of their populations and their current propensity for games that require helmets they might take to Rugby as a 'tough man' sport and end up causing the current rugby superpowers some greif in the future. I say bring it! the more the better...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Given the size of their populations and their current propensity for games that require helmets they might take to Rugby as a 'tough man' sport and end up causing the current rugby superpowers some greif in the future. I say bring it! the more the better...

Well actually Rugby is gaining traction particular at the junior level as a safer alternative to American Football. a lot has been made of late in the US of the severe head injuries at the junior and high school levels of the game stemming from the nature of the protection they have and the tackling styles they have adopted for maximum impact. Rugby still has that tough man image but at the junior level its beginning to get the message through that while its for tough men, it teaches kids how to execute the physical side properly and safely. It's working.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
There is also the factor that a lot of "gridiron" players drop out of the game at every stage, ie High School, College, etc who are still outstanding athletes and who may well be looking for an outlet that isnt available at the moment. Rugby could easil;y fill that niche to the advantage of the players and the code.
My experience of US Rugby (limited experience) is that coaches are in desperate shortage. The international body should look at the matter.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There is also the factor that a lot of "gridiron" players drop out of the game at every stage, ie High School, College, etc who are still outstanding athletes and who may well be looking for an outlet that isnt available at the moment. Rugby could easil;y fill that niche to the advantage of the players and the code.
My experience of US Rugby (limited experience) is that coaches are in desperate shortage. The international body should look at the matter.

That tends to be an ever repeating mantra I constantly hear from American Rugby people. The game expanding and forging new relationships through the school systems in the states but is held back by the lack of available coaches and differing standards of coaching from team to team. It in my opinion falls to the USAR to establish a unified standard of coaching and then work to proliferate it among the rapidly expanding scene. They are doing this a the lowest level of the pyramid with their Rookie Rugby program educating PE teachers and parents who want to be involved with great success, however, they now need the programs to build on that. This and devise a means to entice a lot of the College level players to look to get involved with coaching. Do this and the annual growth rate of the game could as much a quadruple almost immediately.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
There's a lot I like about this news. Maybe I've skipped over it but is it college based? Either way I'm just imagining the possibilities for players in my regional area who'd be interested in going to USA to work or study, they may look to this Rugby comp in America as an opportunity to try something different (for those that are very good obviously). I actually think this might be the way of the future for clubs in regions like mine to start seeking out over seas comps that they can forge relationships with.

On the subject of injuries the below youtube is a college tackling session for Gridiron, if this is generally how they teach tackling then no wonder they get injured. I often think the huge padding they wear must create a false sense of security. That being said I cant say I dont like NFL, it is slowly growing on me.

At any rate this is great news for the sleeping giant the USA.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
This is good news. IM moving to the US later this year. Im getting my level 1 and level 2 coaching as well here in Aus. Do these coaching accreditations apply internationally?

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I like the fact that they've gone with Professional Rugby League... That should confuse the shit out of some mungoballers and have them baying for blood because we 'stole their name'...

couldn't agree more.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is good news. IM moving to the US later this year. Im getting my level 1 and level 2 coaching as well here in Aus. Do these coaching accreditations apply internationally?

Don't know about coaching accreditation's. However, I'm sure they'll accept you as they are in desperate need of coaches particularly at the junior level. Find yourself a club and help more kids get into the game.

As for this Pro development. The ground has just registered themselves as a corporation in Delaware. At first this seemed an odd choice for an organisation running a Western Us based league but as it turns out Delaware is a tax haven.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would have loved to play Gridiron. I reckon it'd be a great game t play.

A few of my mates from school played growing up. Two of them represented Australia in the sport. Always tried to talk me into playing. At 6 0' and 125kgs they thought I'd go alright. Tried the gear on once at a party and went hammer and tongs at one another. You can be excused for feeling damn near invincible, barely felt a thing.

More news on the topic. A group rumoured to consist of rather wealthy and influential business people are said to be behind this, both from a Rugby and non-Rugby background. One person quoted that if the names he's been hearing are true, there's no one in Rugby they couldn't buy. They have registered their business under the name of North American Professional Rugby Limited Liability Company (LLC) in Dover, Delaware. As it turns out Delaware is alegal tax haven which explains why they have registered the business entity there when they intend to run it the western half of the United States.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I have a mate in the US on the Board of the ASP. He's a rugby fan. Might be a good contact for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.