• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

having torn my AC joint myself, i thought it was 100% and started playing again...The doctor and physio gave me a cautionary go ahead because its a difficult injury to assess....
I lasted 6 games by which point i had to stop because i could barely move it for 2 days following each match..

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies need to careful about McCabes early return, they need him for the big matches... They can probably take the force round 1 at home without him. The Force loosing Willie Ripia late preseason will likely screw them up for the of their season start...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would be starting Tomane out on the wing...

I know his history as a schoolboy rugby player, but after time in the other game where he's mostly played wing I'd feel safer with him being out there to start with...

Exactly right. All league players who switch and are outside backs, (and they will mostly be so), should play on the wing in union - even if they were centres or fullbacks on the other side. Once they learn defensive patterns of union properly they can move away from the protection of the touchline to fullback or centre.

In particular, giving league players, even ex-union players, the 13 jersey, should be delayed as long as is practicable.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Just wondering on everyone's opinion on who will be the breakthrough outside back for the Brumbies in 2012? Holmes, Mogg, Crawford, Cox, Sitauti or Kuridani?​
I doubt that Holmes will get his chance given they are more likely to put Lealifano back to Fullback if injuries occur. The thing that Holmes has got going for him is his goal kicking (something the Brumbies are lacking in the squad).​
My understanding is that Jesse Mogg can only be called on if there is sufficient injuries which is unlikely given the balance of the backs in the squad.​
I haven't seen Tom Cox play so can't really comment.​
I've seen a bit of Sitauti in sevens but he seems to run away from his support a lot in attack. Kuridani is a man mountain.​
I think though that Crawford would be the pick of the group. Bernie was really keen on seeing him in the trials last year but unfortunately he was injured in the first game. I believe that he's a well rounded 'footballer' (rather than athlete), quite quick, good kicking game and seems to get a lot of offloads away in the tackle. He carved up for Norths last year.

Agree, in my opinion Crawford is a quality player with massive potential

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
big call muddy......going on 2011 form, Stannard was always going to be first in line for 5/8 in 2012 anyway

Not really, the Force now are struggling to cover 9 if Stannard moves to 10. They've also had a short preseason, I'm not sure the Force will be ready... they always seem to have trouble times in their off season...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Kuridani, Cawford, White, Lealiifano and To'omua were looking good at training yesterday. As were Carter and Kimlin...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Crawford could surprise a few people who haven't seen him play, but it's difficult to say with certainty who of all the new/inexperienced Brumbies backs will prevail. Unless a few socks are blown off in the trials White will no doubt start with more experienced players and feed the others in as injuries or form slumps occur.

It will be intriguing waiting to find out who is in Jake's first starting back line, but it won't be as intriguing as watching to see if the tight five front up to play in Rd.1, especially the 2nd rowers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Crimes, Sio is putting his hand up for loosehead prop, but obviously has competition from Yanuyanutawa, Murphy and Owen (although Owen really should stick to TH)...

It seems that Palmer and Alexander are still both being considered as TH props, and I just hope that with all the preseason training Palmer has been involved with White and Fisher aim to start with him and persuade Alexander to return to LH.

In an article the Crimes put out last week Palmer was referred to as the 'scrum leader', so I hope that's a promising sign in regards to selections...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Crawford could surprise a few people who haven't seen him play, but it's difficult to say with certainty who of all the new/inexperienced Brumbies backs will prevail. Unless a few socks are blown off in the trials White will no doubt start with more experienced players and feed the others in as injuries or form slumps occur.

It will be intriguing waiting to find out who is in Jake's first starting back line, but it won't be as intriguing as watching to see if the tight five front up to play in Rd.1, especially the 2nd rowers.

LG,

I personally think he'll go with those who have been around longer combined with those who are standing out at training, just to help the new/younger guys ease their way

So for example, you could expect to see something like White, To'omua, ?? ,Lealiifano, A Smith, Speight, Crawford

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having watched some of Zack Holmes' highlights recently it would be interesting to see him eventually get a go at fullback with Crawford on the wing, or vice versa...

Speight certainly deserves to start, especially as he finished the season well last year, but he'll need to work hard to retain it with so much young talent there.

I just hope he's worked on catching high balls in the off season...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1/16/2012
The smart way around a rugby career

By Brumbies Media Unit

imageResize.ashx
Sue Crawford and Pat McCabe at the RUPA awards last year.​

Since joining the club in late 2001, Player Careers Development Officer Sue Crawford has provided countless Brumbies, past and present, with a pathway to a successful life after rugby.

Busy training and touring schedules have been a major hurdle for players trying to study in the past making it tough for athletes to focus on life after sport.

But thanks to Sue’s efforts, Brumbies players are enjoying the full spectrum of tertiary education finding work in various fields once their rugby days are finished.

Sue’s work with the Brumbies and her vast knowledge of the Australian tertiary education landscape were honoured at the RUPA awards in 2011 where she was given an award for her “Commitment and dedication to providing service to the RUPA members since 2001.”

“It’s been a privilege to work with both RUPA and the Brumbies players over the last 10 years,” Crawford said.

“Highlights have been the enthusiasm and willingness for players to engage in looking at their futures along with rugby.

“To have the opportunity as a listening ear and confidant to assist in making plans and making them come to fruition is always exciting.”

Sue said while seeing results from her hard work was always a rewarding experience, the interaction with the boys and the building process towards an outcome were also satisfying elements of her job.

“One of the great things is that it’s not a one off meeting with players – there is an opportunity to continue engaging with them over several seasons and seeing their plans come into fruition,” she said.

“Rugby players can have a turbulent career and quite often with the help of their coaches and RUPA, study can provide a greater sense of stability in that environment.

“I was delighted to receive the award from Adam Freier who was the Brumbies in late 2001 when I started here. It gave a really strong sense of being acknowledged.”

T

TOCC

Not really, the Force now are struggling to cover 9 if Stannard moves to 10. They've also had a short preseason, I'm not sure the Force will be ready... they always seem to have trouble times in their off season...

Well no, Brett Sheehan started 14 matches in 2011..

Losing Ripia has impacted on their depth, but IMO it hasn't effected there starting lineup going on last years form.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Well no, Brett Sheehan started 14 matches in 2011..

Losing Ripia has impacted on their depth, but IMO it hasn't effected there starting lineup going on last years form.

I thought Ripia was injured that’s why Stannard step in at 10 after that he did well but no one look at him as a 10 before that, most astute rugby minds would still see him as a scrum half. I had thought Sheenan had taken a northern hemisphere contract and gone north... No matter I happy to stand by my comment, the Brumbies wont have any trouble with the Force at home round 1. But perhaps have some trouble with Pocock...

M

Maroon Army

Can someone please give me some information on Henry Vanderglas?

Why he's switched from the Brumbies to Bristol? how he plays etc? How good is he at the 15 man game compared to the 7 man?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.