• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I may have slightly jumped the gun before. I was slightly annoyed at the temerity of the man as IMO he is the only one who would of leaked that story. He may very well have been interviewed. ADUG was certainly casting a wide net looking for the new man city CEO, but the general agreement seems to be that David Potts was the second choice and the Barca chap was the chap was the clear favorite - as long as there were no ramifications about the Spanish airline he was running going under.

My real gripe is who else could have leaked this story? It's certainly out of character for ADUG and it can only undermine the new CEO. You also do have to wonder about the credibility of the story if it didnt come from them. So that really leaves O'Neill with a childish 'How good am I? I almost got the top sports administration job in the world!' when he really should have been focusing on his day job. Damn embarrassing as Gagger said.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The drum beaters are pretty quiet aren't they. Perhaps they are using those drums from Karate Kid 2. They were pretty quiet but when Danialson used the drum technique in the last fight it was devasting and he won the girl and Miagi was proud and they lived happily ever after.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Like it was leaked by one the drum beaters even ...

I don't see how one of the mystery drummers could have leaked his quote to a journo, or do you think they have links into the boardroom of Man C?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Mulling on it, I guess JON is trying to outposition Link for the high ground "You may say you're out till 2014, but it's too early to be thinking about that anyway - stop beating your Tom Toms!"

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ams-at-super-disadvantage-20120209-1rqyt.html

JO'N confirms in the above the Man City approach and terms it a 'normal business reaction' to consider it, etc.

Not only embarrassing for the reasons rightly noted by Gagger what with JO'N lecturing unnamed parties to stay committed to their current coaching roles only, but further exposes the superficiality and insincerity of all the sombre statements at the time of JON's last 2011 re-signing with the ARU when this major step was heralded by the ARU as crucial to the progress of the code through 2103 and how wonderful it was that this esteemed leader was re-committing to seeing the Lions tour through, and other key hoped-for milestones.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Whether or not the man city thing is true is irrelevant in my opinion. What is though is that JON somewhere in his twisted version of reality may just be considering leaving before the end of his current term. And in my humble opinion, that can ONLY be a good thing for Australian Rugby.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out I say!

Perhaps the ARU should take a leaf out of Man City book's and start their own headhunting now too........Andrew Wennerbom from Uni should be number 1!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have said it before somewhere but IMO JON was bar far the best sport CEO in Rugby during his first tenure. I still think he has some brilliant skills and halted the massive financial catastrophe unfolding from the Flowers era. That said he has failed to grow the game in Oz will falling/stagnant interest away from the Reds and the lack of accountablility for failures for this and from appointed staff have detracted from his achievements. As always when people feel slighted they will react and often over react hence the comments such as "don't let the door hit you on the way out". This is a board level failure in that they did not keep the power of the CEO in check and provide a balance, hence we stand to lose an extremely able administrator.

It also raises an interesting point, the first tenure of JON at the ARU was not all his show and hence the success was not all his. JONs tenure at FA whilst moderately successful at establishing the new structures never achieved the results required and even as he was leaving the financials of a number of clubs were in question. My point is that his record as a sports CEO is very impressive but he is by no means the messiah nor did he get these results on his own.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree that he achieved, or more accruately was involved in some brillant acheivments by the ARU in his last tenure. And yes agree with Gnostic that some off the issues that have happened since really can't be laid entirely at his feet. 'Board level failure' might be the best and more accruate description.

I just feel that since his last stint he seems to have become far more outspoken in the media. Now I understand that part of the role of an entities CEO is to be the media face of the organisation, but some of the quotes that have come from him in recent times, and comments that have been 'attributed' to him have not been in the best interest of the ARU, or rugby as a whole. And I think what has happened is that he has ended up putting a lot of people off side when prehaps he should have answered questions put to him, or just plain shut up, rather than at times fanning the flames. Perhaps he is getting frustrated with the politics of the ARU as much as the rest of us.

How do we fix this? Personnelly I think that it is going to take some people with bloody big kahunas to get onto the board and start running it like a business, not like an old boys club that it seems to be sometimes. And before I get jumped on - apperances do matter. Not only do processes, procedures, systems, operations and decisions have to the fair and above board, they have to have the appearence of being fair and above board. Case in point Nuci doing the 'indepentant' review of the RWC campain. By all means, if he is the best person for the job, get him to do it. Just don't call it 'independant', as a review by an employee is NOT independant by definition, and will not be seen as independant by those outside of the organisation. And to defend the 'run it like a business' comment - this can be a business with a community focus, and does not have to be profit driven.

Here endth my rant. For the moment.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I agree that board has a fair share of accountability here too. However continuing to raise the issue of the financial losses incurred when Flowers was CEO is somewhat unfair in my opinion. Yes, the ARU posted an 8 million dollar loss in his first year in the job, but how much of that was incurred before he started. JON left in a hurry the first time, and upon his return, he went out of his way to discredit Flowers entirely for the financial losses. So using that motus operandi, the 13 million dollar loss for 2011 should entirely be blamed on JON as CEO.

Now we all know that such losses in reality cannot be oportioned to the one person. However if you live by the sword!

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Agree that he achieved, or more accruately was involved in some brillant acheivments by the ARU in his last tenure. And yes agree with Gnostic that some off the issues that have happened since really can't be laid entirely at his feet. 'Board level failure' might be the best and more accruate description.

I just feel that since his last stint he seems to have become far more outspoken in the media. Now I understand that part of the role of an entities CEO is to be the media face of the organisation, but some of the quotes that have come from him in recent times, and comments that have been 'attributed' to him have not been in the best interest of the ARU, or rugby as a whole. And I think what has happened is that he has ended up putting a lot of people off side when prehaps he should have answered questions put to him, or just plain shut up, rather than at times fanning the flames. Perhaps he is getting frustrated with the politics of the ARU as much as the rest of us.

How do we fix this? Personnelly I think that it is going to take some people with bloody big kahunas to get onto the board and start running it like a business, not like an old boys club that it seems to be sometimes. And before I get jumped on - apperances do matter. Not only do processes, procedures, systems, operations and decisions have to the fair and above board, they have to have the appearence of being fair and above board. Case in point Nuci doing the 'indepentant' review of the RWC campain. By all means, if he is the best person for the job, get him to do it. Just don't call it 'independant', as a review by an employee is NOT independant by definition, and will not be seen as independant by those outside of the organisation. And to defend the 'run it like a business' comment - this can be a business with a community focus, and does not have to be profit driven.

Here endth my rant. For the moment.

the word around the proverbial camp fire was that Nuci was filthy with JON on Aussie Robbie's renewal.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree that board has a fair share of accountability here too. However continuing to raise the issue of the financial losses incurred when Flowers was CEO is somewhat unfair in my opinion. Yes, the ARU posted an 8 million dollar loss in his first year in the job, but how much of that was incurred before he started. JON left in a hurry the first time, and upon his return, he went out of his way to discredit Flowers entirely for the financial losses. So using that motus operandi, the 13 million dollar loss for 2011 should entirely be blamed on JON as CEO.

Now we all know that such losses in reality cannot be oportioned to the one person. However if you live by the sword!
My memory was that JON arrived back around the time that ARC was announced. Flowers did not set up this competition, it was a board approval after spirited debate & I think a conference/ think tank of "eminent Rugby Administrators"
The lack of sponsorship,crowd, media exposure, merchandising etc etc was on his watch solely.
His performance in managing this new comp should have torn his KPI's to shreds with no bonus for JON.
Lucky for JON the ARC was sooo bad the ARU dropped it after 1 year, despite the ARU earlier committing to losing $$ for a 3 year start up phase.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
ARU boss John O'Neill on how he would describe himself: "It's easier to quote other people. Dr Michael Crawford has often said that he thinks my most distinctive characteristic is courage. It's a sensitive thing to respond to, but I think he is right."

In the article from The Australian from which that quote is taken the self-effacing O'Neill goes on to say: "I've been a CEO continuously for 25 years. I've made plenty of mistakes, but I do have the courage of my convictions. If I'm committed to a course of action, I've got the courage to carry it through."

Of course it's relatively easy to exhibit "courage" when you're a CEO. You're being courageous with other people's money; none of your underlings with any concern for job security is going to challenge your decisions; and if you really stuff up the worst that can happen to you is that the board terminates you but still has to pay out your full contract. Not exactly like having "a Messerschmitt up your arse" is it?

On an unrelated matter, in the Peter FitzSimons article that Motorboater refers us to, the equally self-effacing Fitzy mentions "David Campese's famous pass to Tim Horan in the 1991 World Cup semi-final. Until Campo did it, we hadn't even conceived it was possible to pull off a pass like that."

I can visualise any number of Randwick players of that era spluttering into their cornflakes when they read that the Hail Mary toss-it-back-over-your-head pass was invented by Campo in 1991. Even at Sydney Uni the 1990 First Colts five-eighth Paul Kearney would regularly try it, but every time he did so the team's co-coaches Brian Burnett and John Coolican, singly or in unison, would roar out across the field, "Kearney you c@$%!" At Randwick,of course, he would have been abused if he didn't throw such a pass.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
On an unrelated matter, in the Peter FitzSimons article that Motorboater refers us to, the equally self-effacing Fitzy mentions "David Campese's famous pass to Tim Horan in the 1991 World Cup semi-final. Until Campo did it, we hadn't even conceived it was possible to pull off a pass like that."

I played a lot of Rugby League with the aboriginal kids from Woorabinda - That pass would have been the least interesting pass of the day.

Mind you - I think Campo is overrated, especially by himself, and very much by NSWers.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Of course it's relatively easy to exhibit "courage" when you're a CEO. You're being courageous with other people's money; none of your underlings with any concern for job security is going to challenge your decisions; and if you really stuff up the worst that can happen to you is that the board terminates you but still has to pay out your full contract. Not exactly like having "a Messerschmitt up your arse" is it?
Thanks Bruce - there I was enjoying a brew of weasel coffee, watching a replay of Leinster giving Treviso a touch up, and you had to plant the vision of a Messerschmitt up one's arse (could be about time to watch Top Gun again). I will now enjoy a period of time removing said brew of weasel coffee from my shirt. Cheers
I was at one of JON's institutions and those around him brought a new meaning to the word obsequious.
First enjoyed non-conventional passing watching the Ellas/Walker et al when they were at Matto.
Back on thread - would love to see what a Hawker/Wennerbom team could do for Aust Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.