• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Isn't it nice for Aus rugby though? It will most likely mean Jake will play him at every opportunity, and young hard nosed TH's are all but extinct in these parts.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
AlqIbWyCMAEwkGJ.jpg

I thnk it was those shorts that lost Moore the vote.... ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ben Mowen backs his no-name Brumbies
IT may sound paradoxical, but new Brumbies captain Ben Mowen believes the team's lack of Wallabies will be an advantage in this year's Super Rugby competition.

Brumbies coach Jake White will today announce Mowen as the new captain of a team that boasts only three current Wallabies: hooker Stephen Moore, prop Ben Alexander and utility back Pat McCabe.

But Mowen believes the fact the no-name Brumbies have been able to train virtually as a team since last June will be a big advantage against teams whose Test players only rejoined them last month.

"We will go really well," Mowen said yesterday. "We have a strong belief in our systems and the troops to do it."

The Brumbies have been skippered by some of the biggest names in Australian rugby, including George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock and Matt Giteau.

But White overlooked Moore, widely regarded as the obvious choice, to give the leadership to Mowen, who will be the only non-Wallaby to captain an Australian Super Rugby team this season.

""You have to earn the respect of the guys around you," Mowen said. "I'll work hard to gain the players' respect and it's important to keep it."

What the mobile backrower lacks in profile, he makes up for in leadership experience, having captained every team he has played for, including the Australian under-21s.

After making his Super Rugby debut for Queensland in 2007, Mowen spent four years with NSW before heading to the Brumbies.

"I had an opportunity to stay at the Waratahs, but there was an opportunity for more development at the Brumbies," he said.

"There was a leadership opportunity and the chance to work with Jake White, Laurie Fisher and Bernie (Stephen Larkham).

"If we had come together in November or December, I would feel new.

"But I joined in June and we have been together for eight months. I feel like I've played for the Brumbies for quite a while. I feel like I'm part of the furniture.

"I played with Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe coming through."

Mowen will start the season in former Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles' No 8jersey.

Meanwhile, Moore is expected to play against Western Force in Canberra on Friday week in the opening round of the season, despite hurting his shoulder in a trial against the Queensland Reds in Cairns on Saturday.

Scans on Moore's shoulder showed no damage to his AC joint, but it is still sore and he will not play for the Brumbies in the trial against an ACT XV in Canberra tomorrow night.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Brumbies do kind of have that "feeling", at least form my perspective. I'm expecting them to knock off one or two big teams at the least.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The Brumbies do kind of have that "feeling", at least form my perspective. I'm expecting them to knock off one or two big teams at the least.

They have that feeling of expectation about them for sure. Kind of like the 2010 reds, but even then most of us weren't expecting the reds to do as well as they did.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is anyone else tipping a big season from Mowen... hopefully he'll knock off Rocky and start at 6 for the wobs!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mowen appears to be playing at 8 for the Brumbies...

Which can't be a bad thing considering Australia's continual lack of depth in the position, and a broken down Palu...

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
And that way he doesn't have to compete with fan-favourite Scott Higginbotham for 6.

Still think Mowen, Hooper, Vaea at 678 is the way to go though. Then again I haven't coached a world cup winning team.

A

AJ_

"What the mobile backrower lacks in profile, he makes up for in leadership experience, having captained every team he has played for, including the Australian under-21s."

Interesting. It feels good to have a guy that has now captained 3 out of 5 of the Oz Super rugby teams.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
"What the mobile backrower lacks in profile, he makes up for in leadership experience, having captained every team he has played for, including the Australian under-21s."

Interesting. It feels good to have a guy that has now captained 3 out of 5 of the Oz Super rugby teams.

Er, just to clarify: did Mowen really captain the Reds with the 1 cap he got there?

I am...somewhat dubious of that statement.

N

Newter

Exactly right. We can all guess about why Moore wasn't chosen when he seemed to be the natural choice. I don't know the guy at all but from the lounge room he looks a bit confrontational - not a bad trait against opponents but maybe not at other times.

That's my guess.

I've never been impressed by Moore's goal line defence. He's been beaten by his man too many times in this area. Not captain material.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Palmer, wow that is a surprise and a blow to Tahs fans who were hoping he'd come back home.
Agree.

Reckon mowens a good choice, especially as he doesn't miss many games. Wonder weather the mid season wallaby tests have been part of the decision? You would have to think Moore will miss/be rested for a couple of super games as a result.

My other theory is that the selection of mowen helps to mark the end of brumbies playing power but that seems pretty tenuous.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Agree.

Reckon mowens a good choice, especially as he doesn't miss many games. Wonder weather the mid season wallaby tests have been part of the decision? You would have to think Moore will miss/be rested for a couple of super games as a result.

My other theory is that the selection of mowen helps to mark the end of brumbies playing power but that seems pretty tenuous.

Another theory is that Moore is likely to head offshore after the 2013 Lions tour. With a new young squad you'd want a long term captain to stick around with the core players. He's also been an active member of the squad since last July, whereas Moore, Alexander and McCabe only joined post RWC and after their end of year R&R.

Status
Not open for further replies.