• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
jeez well I'd take the Reds between 1-12, The Rebels in Melbourne with Capriani JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Mortlock, Gerrard would be worth a look at the Rebels handicap, As for the Highlanders in "Dunedin" I'll take that smiling between 1-12... ;)

At best I've only got the Tahs 2-3 here

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
jeez well I'd take the Reds between 1-12, The Rebels in Melbourne with Capriani JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Mortlock, Gerrard would be worth a look at the Rebels handicap, As for the Highlanders in "Dunedin" I'll take that smiling between 1-12... ;)

At best I've only got the Tahs 2-3 here

Jeez that must be a scary prospect for all of the Rebels' opposition this year! I mean it's a well known fact that most rugby games are won out in the backs and that the forwards are merely there to make up the numbers!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
They’re all journeymen; they know their trade in any jersey...

Care to give us a bit of a run-down on some of those "new" forwards they acquired in the off season that are going to re-invigorate their forward play this year? I haven't been following them too closely, but sounds like I've missed the announcement of these signings..

L

Lachlan

While the Rebels depth in the forwards isn't stellar, I'd tip them to play a harder and more committed game this year. They know they have a classy backline behind them now and will play harder for the win as a result of it. Plus a couple green players have a year of Super Rugby under their belts, and a new 9 has emerged who looks the goods. Not to mention a vastly improved backline that will, with any luck, never feature Huxley again. Things are definitely looking up for them and they will be a handful for any team who doesn't completely blast them off the park up front.

EDIT: Oops, thought this was a Rebels thread. Apologies for wandering off topic there ;)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So since this is the Brumbies thread, I'll get it back on track.

The team to play the Force will be announced on Wednesday.
Ben Alexander and Stephen Moore should be right to play but Pat McCabe and Colby Fainga'a will be ruled out through injury.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Ben Alexander and Stephen Moore should be right to play but Pat McCabe and Colby Fainga'a will be ruled out through injury.
Bad luck for Fainga'a but a good chance for Hooper to shine. A backrow of Hooper, Vaea and Mowen doesn't look half bad.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
This may help to get into Jake Whites thinking a little

Soft options get you nowhere: White

JAKE White is not afraid to ruffle feathers. In his nine months as the new Brumbies coach, White - a World Cup winner with South Africa in 2007 - has already made tough calls and bold changes in Canberra, and there will be more to come as he attempts to bring back the club's glory days. IAIN PAYTEN sat down with White in the capital this week.

Payten: Why did you take the Brumbies job?

White: One of the things Eddie Jones warned me about, after he left the Wallabies and struggled with the Reds, was to go to the right place. He'd say: "Listen, don't go to the wrong joint because it can be detrimental." When I asked him about the Brumbies, he said he thought it would be a good job. Good history - he had the best time of his coaching life here. He got me to think about what the club stood for and its history.

Payten: I once heard you'd modelled much of your early coaching with the Springboks (2004-2007) on the Brumbies? True?

White: One hundred per cent true. Not so much model, but I tried to take as much of the good stuff that I could see. I really think the Brumbies were leaders. They always seemed to be one step ahead of everyone else. As the rules were about to change, they'd got to a stage where they'd already worked out how to play under them and benefit.

Payten: So you had an idea of the Brumbies set-up when you signed on. How much matched reality when you got here?

White: Nil. And when I'm saying nil, it's not to be negative. I always remember them in their glory days; we're talking about really special Wallaby players: Gregan, Larkham, George Smith, Roff. When I got here, the place was completely different. I think what'd happened here can be summed up by a story I heard: When you see your brother's kids once a year, you say how quickly they grow up, but when you're with them every day you don't see how they change.It was a bit like that here. I'd been here in 2004 when they won the tournament, and when I got here (last year) things were so different. It even looked different. It was nothing like it used to be. I've tried to reconnect the two. Our motto here is back to the future.

Payten: Isn't it difficult to build a new direction for a club but at the same time hold on to the past?

White: History shouldn't be a thing that pulls you backwards. We have four boys who grew up in Canberra who've played 100 Tests, and only five have done that. We've had two Wallabies captains, probably more Test match caps, we've won more championships than any others. You need to remember what's happened in the past, because that's why you're here. One thing I say to the players is you can't negotiate on the standards that are set before you. The standards are cast in stone.

Payten: You were once a school teacher. How much of your first career is in the second?

White: Hopefully all of it. Graham Henry was a school master, so too Eddie Jones and Clive Woodward. For me it's simple: rugby is a subject. You have to coach your subject. I know if I've done my homework on rugby and I understand what I'm trying to get across and have the skills to impart it, then you'll get the best out of your pupils.

Payten: Can we expect the Brumbies' expansive style to change and be more African and forward-based?

White: Let me say, if you could combine the Brumbies game and the South African game, it would be an ideal game of rugby. The power of the Springbok forwards and the running lines of the Brumbies backs in their heyday, that would be phenomenal. Can people expect a change? Yes, they can.

Payten: Such as you not playing a No.7 fetcher in the trials?

White: It's so obvious to me that is the right combination. It's amazing no one in Australia (thinks like that). Robbie Deans paid me a big compliment the other day when he said: "I like the way you think outside the box. That's completely different to the way we do things in Australia."

Payten: Are Australian players tough enough to match it in the physicality stakes? It's always questioned.

White: I think they're tough enough. Perception has become the norm now. The perception is rugby union guys who don't go to league aren't tough, and South Africans are tougher than Australians. After working with players here, they're no less tough than anyone else. Australians are tough people.

Payten: What's the major difference between Aussies and South Africans?

White: In an on-field sense, because there are so many more numbers in South Africa, they're more desperate. The Australian rugby player knows he can get another franchise or club to take him if he leaves. In South Africa, it's dog eat dog. That's why they come across as tougher. If you don't play flat out, there are 10,000 boys waiting to take the position. You get one chance.

Payten: How do you address that?

White: I want to run a program where people are lining up to be part of the program. We don't have the sea, we don't have the big-city lifestyle. Canberra can't offer you those things. What we can offer you is the best rugby program.

Payten: Is it also not being afraid to tell people unpleasant truths? Is that your style?

White: It is. If you take the soft options, then you come second. Look at Sir Alex Ferguson, he lets top players go and people disagree but (Manchester United) keep winning. At the end of the day it's about what he needs on the field. And look at Manchester - a little town and they dominate. Christchurch, little town, they dominate. There's a reason why little towns dominate in sport, because you must want to come here. I know people who want to come here now, want to play rugby. There's nothing else here but rugby. I can't sell you sideshows. If you come here, you must be a guy who wants to have a crack.

Payten: You signed for four years but you were linked to the Springboks and England jobs recently. Why the confusion?

White: It's not confusing. I want to coach Test rugby again one day. I've been fortunate to win a junior and senior World Cup. I want to win another one. Like a player, if you don't get up in the morning and have that as a driving force in your life, you've missed something. It doesn't mean for one minute I'm unhappy here, or I want out. When it happens, who knows?

Payten: Would you stick your hand up for the Wallabies job in 2016?

White: Ewen McKenzie is the man in waiting. I'm sure he's the guy.

Payten: You made Ben Mowen captain. Why choose a new recruit over someone who's been at the Brumbies longer?

White: Captaincy is not a long-service award. Captaincy to me is not about how long you've been in a place, therefore you have the right to be a captain. It was as clear as day for me. Ben captained an Australian under-21 side to a final, he has leadership ability. I went on the basis within this group - who is the guy who is going to get the best out of this group? Young boys look up to him and senior players have played against him and respect him. He's made a sacrifice to be here, he's come from Sydney. He wants to be here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I wouldn't want to rush McCabe back for one game when he's just resumed contact sessions.

It will also allow White to assess the backline this week and work out where McCabe fits best.

I still strongly believe he will kill it at outside centre. And the team is already filled with a tonne of young guys who can play on the wing/fullback.

The only other options at OC are A Smith (journeyman), Tomane (been playing wing in the mungo game in recent years), Kuridrani (rookie)...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think White will rush back McCabe just to play the Force... He doesn't need him to win at home.. Furthermore rugby fans.. The brumbies then have a week bye round 2 so he can guarantee time for McCabe for bigger challenges ahead...
Oops did I really post that I'v given White's tactics up... The Force have Pocock then zip...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oops did I really post that I'v given White's tactics up...

Is Jake White using mudskipper as a confidant?:rolleyes: Or as a strategic adviser?:rolleyes::rolleyes: I've never been a wrap for anything to do with Canberra but I'm not sure that those who have to live there deserve this.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't think White will rush back McCabe just to play the Force... He doesn't need him to win at home.. Furthermore rugby fans.. The brumbies then have a week bye round 2 so he can guarantee time for McCabe for bigger challenges ahead...
Oops did I really post that I'v given White's tactics up... The Force have Pocock then zip...
Yeh don't worry about McCalman, Sharpe, Wykes (?), Hodgson, Brown, Nalaga, Cummins, Shepherd, Ma'afu. There all pretty average in comparison to this years Brumbies line up...... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.