• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
EXciting finish that is for sure, which saved the day as both teams looked like they were stuck in second gear.
While the Brumbies v Force match had all the intensity of a tractor pull comp.

But, it is only the start of the season, and we have all been spoilt watching gr8 RWC games last year.
I am just a happy little fanatic that Rugby season has kicked off and hope to see all of our teams strive for constant improvement.
:)

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So why aren't you pulling on your boots and doing better??

Putting aside the flawed underlying assumption implicit in your question* (Mr Burke?), basically, the Waratahs recruitment juggerrnaut did not see fit to contract me because I am:

-too fat
-too slow
-too old
-too lacking in most of the skills required of a professional rugby player

However, unlike much of the squad, I am not injured and, given that I am a prop, I would never kick the ball, ever, especially when leading with seconds left to play.

*it is possible to recognise and understand something done well or badly without in fact being a superior practitioner oneself

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Putting aside the flawed underlying assumption implicit in your question* (Mr Burke?), basically, the Waratahs recruitment juggerrnaut did not see fit to contract me because I am:

-too fat
-too slow
-too old
-too lacking in most of the skills required of a professional rugby player

However, unlike much of the squad, I am not injured and, given that I am a prop, I would never kick the ball, ever, especially when leading with seconds left to play.

*it is possible to recognise and understand something done well or badly without in fact being a superior practitioner oneself

Perfect you will Fit right into the team, get out there:rolleyes::p

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lots of good even handed post match commentary and have to especially applaud Barbarian's blog comments.

Bloody relieved as a Reds supporter. For whatever reason the Tah's never let the Reds play anywhere near the rugby they are capable of, and it was the same last night. Gutsy effort by an undermanned NSW side and despite the unfortunate option taken by McKibben, on advice from Carter, it is the defenders who should give themselves a big clip over the head. Kudo's to Shipperley, backed himself, ran hard and got the lollies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
My second game this year with the Foxsports commentary team - what a bunch of obnoxious boofheads - very sad that Australia can't find more balanced and insightful commentators.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
^^^^^^^ only time on this Forum I will agree with a Tar supporter.... I was lucky enough to be in the same lift as Marto at a home REDS game, it felt good telling him that he was the worst commentator and actually makes watching the game not enjoyable with the Rubbish that comes out of his mouth...

He didn't give a fuck as we all know with the start of FOX SPORT RUGBY 2012..

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Thoughts on a few Reds:

Morahan was very solid but never really tested under the high ball. Looks great running the ball and should play 15 all season unless injuries elsewhere.
Gill will take the 7 jersey by the end of the year. He may not have the agro, size or strength of Robinson yet but he has plenty of brains and would love to see him up against Pocock from the start next week.
Harris will improve, put that down to first game nerves, lack of combination etc. If he struggles next week would be tempted to give Lucas a shot though. As said earlier he really looks like a 12 and would prefer him there over Taps when Quade gets back.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
both team's played pretty badly, waratahs poor discipline in the end really cost them. i think mike harris is actually going to slot in at 10 very nicely for the reds, his kicking is a definite plus (knowing that he wouldn't miss rather than assuming that Quade would miss and getting excited when he didn't really helped me through the game last night). looked pretty scrappy for alot of the game, alot of passes not hitting the right target, but i think all in all both teams will build from this and be right there at the end of the season. the battle up at suncorp should be a cracker

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
and gill looked better than robinson last night, wouldn't surprise me if he ends up somewhere in the wallaby set up towards the end of the year. a robinson-gill flanker set up with higginbotham at 8 (rather than schatz, who didn't do much last night) would be great to watch

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
and gill looked better than robinson last night, wouldn't surprise me if he ends up somewhere in the wallaby set up towards the end of the year. a robinson-gill flanker set up with higginbotham at 8 (rather than schatz, who didn't do much last night) would be great to watch
I thought Higginbotham was trialling for wing

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah Horne didn't have the best game. Got beaten in defense by a few Reds on attack and got himself hammered a few times with the ball. He probably won't be able to make ammends for this game because he will be injured.
Yes, surprised some have commented that Horne had a strong defensive game. He got run over by fa'ainga and for mine shipperley was his man but he let him easily get inside of him despite having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as support on the outside.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Really? He was one of our best, made many strong runs and was solid in defense.

Some people just like to parrot what they hear & treat it as gospel. So Higgers finds himself covering at wing or out the back at times, and runs as fast as a back & chips & kicks as well as a back, so what?! He does the tough stuff in tight as well, if he has those skills why the fuck shouldn't he use them? He was certainly one of our best.
Also don't understand why some are saying Taps should be dropped when QC (Quade Cooper) returns, he didn't have a bad game & in fact set up that last try with two crucial plays that got the ball to Shipperly in the first place. Morahan is getting a lot of wraps but I thought he was pretty quiet & it was a shocking pass from him in front of our goalposts that put the pressure on leading up to the 5 metre scrum before Palu's try. He should have hoofed it downfield.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I just can't understand why you would kick the ball away with 30 seconds to go. I said to my Dad as McKibbon went for the box-kick that it was 'a fucking horrible idea'. He disagreed. 30 seconds later I won my first argument against my Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.