• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I assume Gillard wants to show she's in control, by choosing Carr, but she's not going to be calming down the rest of the party.

Talk about jobs for the boys! Great if you can get one.

By the sounds of it, Gillard has pissed off Smith and Crean who reportedly had an eye on the Foreign Affairs portfolio. Great way to repay their loyalty. Another example of her poor political judgement?

After the face-off with Rudd this week, she pretty much quelled the leadership rumblings for the time being. But now could possibly have stoked them again with the insertion of Carr into Federal politics.

Who's to say some of the rabble rousers in the ALP aren't already lining up a safe Sydney Labor seat (if they still exist) for Carr in the House of Reps next? Then the leadership? Scary thought, especially for us in NSW, who are still working our way out of the morass of the former Labor government.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
By the sounds of it, Gillard has pissed off Smith and Crean who reportedly had an eye on the Foreign Affairs portfolio. Great way to repay their loyalty. Another example of her poor political judgement?

Perhaps they weren't so loyal on monday? .. Mind you I don't think anyone in the labor party is right now.

I've noticed Swan go really quite of late, makes you wonder if he backed Gillard or Rudd. It was fairly obvious the ballot would determine his future as the Deputy PM

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Rudd - ends in a double consonant, 4 letters long
Carr - ends in a double consonant, 4 letters long
Has anyone ever seen them together - or does the size of their respective egos prevent that?

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
The biggest news up until the actual vote on the leadership was Swans merciless critique of Rudds man management skills whilst PM. Have absolutely no doubt, Swan voted for Gillard.
Word around Canberra is that Smith was thought of as replacement FA minister but it was concluded that his attempts to clean up the huge mess (since at least 1944!) at Defence was too important to spare him for FA.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Kudos to Bob for rising, Phoenix-like from the ashes of Macquarie Street to strut the world stage. Having presided over one of the most entrenched bunch of self-interested cronies in recent memory, few of whom have been shown in a good light since, he emerges scrubbed clean by the pure waters of the desalination plant.
Resplendent in his Macquarie Bank bought Savile Row, he has achieved his life long ambition. Who said it isn't a land of opportunism, I mean opportunity?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
People should be very concerned about Carr even being thought of for the Federal Government, or any Government position again. He presided over a state party for more than a decade that ended with more than one or two being charged and convicted with serious criminal offences and others being driven from office under a similar if unproven cloud. I am not saying that he was involved in any issues himself, just that he was the Captain of a ship in which many of the officers were involved in serious misconduct yet he knew nothing of this?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Totally agree, Gnostic, as my post above suggested.
Funny thing is, I suspect he might be pretty good as a Foreign Minister, but I do not think he deserves the free entry to such a position based on his track record. Some of his old mates were some of the most appalling politicians this state has seen, and we've seen a few.
The final act of rushing the desalination plant through, despite advice from several quarters that it was bad policy (and advice from weather experts that the medium term outlook for Sydney was wet, wet, wet) stank of dirty politics.
Stepping immediately into a 500K / year Mac Bank consultancy was the icing on it all.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If arrogance is a prerequisite to being a good foreign minister he'll be a corker. He also has a full house when it comes to condescension:
"''I thank the opposition for its bipartisanship on Afghanistan. It was important to the men and women serving there that their presence not be the subject of debate and contest,'' Mr Carr said yesterday." (smh)

The guy is not a senator, he has not been sworn in: why would the opposition be hanging out for his, therefore personal, thanks on a "war" the libs committed us to in the first place.

at least we don't rely on the foreign minister for trains, buses,hospitals or schools

Finally, one bob Carr was the man who Empowered the faceless men of the right wing of NSW alp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Good Lord above. Bob Carr.

In the SMH Magazine feature on Saturday Malcolm Turnbull says that he hopes his political career isn't remembers like Carr's for delivering nothing in ten years.

The article was written before Carr's appointment. The irony.

I'd love to see the look on Hilary Clinton's face when Carr tells her that he will get back to her once he has appointed consultants to hold an independent inquiry. After all, the question whether he would indeed like coffee or tea is no trivial matter.

The answer will be delivered by press conference at a five star hotel, probably in Vegas.

Anyone enjoying seeing their tax dollars being spent like this?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good Lord above. Bob Carr.

In the SMH Magazine feature on Saturday Malcolm Turnbull says that he hopes his political career isn't remembers like Carr's for delivering nothing in ten years.

The article was written before Carr's appointment. The irony.

that is frigging fantastic

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
have a look at this
two of the graphs show the enormous spike in industrial disputes under Labor....who has dismantled workchoices thereby, so the spin goes, reducing the need for workers to challenge their working conditions by withdrawing labour.
I know nothing about the unfairness of workchoices so I am not defending it I'm just observing that despite the ALPs long term claim to keeping the industrial peace better than the Libs the evidence suggests otherwise.

That is a slightly disingenuous analysis. Even the increases in disputes are lower than some of the more recent highs under the LNP coalition. The interesting graph is this one:

0.684!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

The huge rise in productivity beginning in the late eighties and ending in the late nineties would, I believe, be directly attributable to Keating's period as treasurer and then PM. There will obviously be a lag in the reforms/outcome but, after a few years of Howard (which is attributable to the lag), productivity dropped off a cliff and hasn't changed its downard trajectory since. You could argue it's rate of diminution has accelerated since Labor was elected (again allowing for the lag) although the rates are still not as bad as some of the rates during the Howard years.

In any event, the point of all this is that the Howard reforms have dismantled the effectiveness of Keating's reforms and Labor is continuing this.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It seems the anecdotal evidence I was hearing about when Rudd was elected in 2007 was correct. A lot of guys I know that were working in the larger construction firms complained that as soon as Labor took power, the unions significantly stepped up their activity, because they knew they wouldn't be touched. To me it is an advertisement for a lot of what is wrong with the Labor party, and who really runs it.

Scotty the industry specific graph doesn't necessarily bear this out with regard to construction. Is there something you can point us to which supports your assertion?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With reference to the Argus graphs, I wonder to what extent the long term productivity graph referenced in USD is actually a product of our exchange rate? I suspect there is a not insignificant correlation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you have completely misread the graphs I posted: they reflect working days lost due to industrial disputes: there's no lag.
Further, they are in absolute terms not by comparison with US productivity - to make sense of your graph one would have to know what has been happening to US productivity in absolute terms - I suspect that wherever you took these from would have a graph of that: you might care to post it.
What is "conference board" as a source?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think you have completely misread the graphs I posted: they reflect working days lost due to industrial disputes: there's no lag.
Further, they are in absolute terms not by comparison with US productivity - to make sense of your graph one would have to know what has been happening to US productivity in absolute terms - I suspect that wherever you took these from would have a graph of that: you might care to post it.
What is "conference board" as a source?

Someone is confused my friend but it's not me. As a starting point, the "conference board" graph I posted came from the article you posted. My reference to lag was to that graph and it's not pegged against US productivity, just against the US dollar which is why the exchange rate is relevant.

I know the graphs you posted refer to working days lost because I read the titles. However, the average working days lost throughout the Labor period is lower than that for the LNP Coalition and far lower than the highs of 2000 through to 2004 which are shown on the graph you posted. That is why I called your analysis below disingenuous.

two of the graphs show the enormous spike in industrial disputes under Labor

Perhaps I should have just said it was wrong.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The huge rise in productivity beginning in the late eighties and ending in the late nineties would, I believe, be directly attributable to Keating's period as treasurer and then PM. There will obviously be a lag in the reforms/outcome but, after a few years of Howard (which is attributable to the lag), productivity dropped off a cliff and hasn't changed its downard trajectory since. You could argue it's rate of diminution has accelerated since Labor was elected (again allowing for the lag) although the rates are still not as bad as some of the rates during the Howard years.

In any event, the point of all this is that the Howard reforms have dismantled the effectiveness of Keating's reforms and Labor is continuing this.

I suspect that with the US going through a major recession their productivity has also increased, so just comparing us to them might not be the most accurate analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.