• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Sharks Rnd 4 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Rocket at fullback, I reckon he will play there on offence and Harris will slip back to full back when on Defence for a better kicking option... Similar to Cooper....

T

tranquility

Lucas's versatility really costs him and it becomes apparent when you see the backs on the bench for this week. Think it was definitely the right decision but the inclusion of Frisby means we could be in trouble if someone goes down early.

How so? Morahan can play 4 positions and Harris move back to flyhalf if Genia or Lucas is hurt.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, i see that but it doesn't allow for other options if plans aren't working, players have a shocker etc. It will likely not be a problem but i just see it as possibly limiting our options at the back end of the game. We saw the bench inject much needed energy last week, not sure those 2 can in the same way. Genia will prob play 80, could Frisby come on and play wing if needed as Prior did on occasion?

T

tranquility

Yeah, i see that but it doesn't allow for other options if plans aren't working, players have a shocker etc. It will likely not be a problem but i just see it as possibly limiting our options at the back end of the game. We saw the bench inject much needed energy last week, not sure those 2 can in the same way. Genia will prob play 80, could Frisby come on and play wing if needed as Prior did on occasion?

At the risk of adding to the Higgers love, I would say if we were short of a winger we would throw Radike or Higgers on the flank and bring on Shatz / Quirk.

T

tranquility

it bewilders me how a team who is 1 from 3 in 2012, coming up against the undefeated reigning champions is considered rightly so favorites...

He follows the Tahs mate, he is going for a supporters psychological advantage early in the season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Frisby has played at fullback numerous times through his school career and during Colts. So if he was needed he can cover there aswell.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds not winning in Durban since 2004 might have a bit to do with why they aren't favourites.

Went close last time but couldn't quite get over the line. Maybe Link can use that as another hoodoo to bust.

Hope Harris has that radar boot back on this weekend. Squeezing out some tight wins on the road now could make all the difference in July.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
1. Dale Chadwick
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Anton Bresler
6. Marcell Coetzee
7. Willem Alberts
8. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
9. Charl McLeod
10. Patrick Lambie
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Tim Whitehead
13. JP Pietersen
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Riaan Viljoen
Replacements:
16. Craig Burden
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Jandre Marais
19. Jacques Botes
20. Frederic Michalak
21. Meyer Bosman
22. Louis Ludik

Great side , Sharks by 13.

Finally Michalak out of that 9 jersey and Alberts & Dr Jannie starting.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
First the Cheetahs by 20 and now the Sharks by 13, someone is a bit over confident in the SA sides.

I'm not saying the Sharks can't win, but I can almost guarentee you it won't be by a margin that big.

T

TOCC

Reds not winning in Durban since 2004 might have a bit to do with why they aren't favourites.

Went close last time but couldn't quite get over the line. Maybe Link can use that as another hoodoo to bust.

Hope Harris has that radar boot back on this weekend. Squeezing out some tight wins on the road now could make all the difference in July.

Don't get wrong, I'm not suggesting the game is in the bag... The reds will need a much improved performance to take it home... I'm just trying to comprehend this notion that the Sharks are resounding favorites and what reasoning is behind it apart from home ground advantage...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
it bewilders me how a team who is 1 from 3 in 2012, coming up against the undefeated reigning champions is considered rightly so favorites...

Sharks were undefeated at home last year against overseas opposition. Reds haven't won in Durban for a few years. You need to score tries to beat the Sharks at home, Reds haven't been doing that and the Sharks hadn't conceded a try in their first 2 games. Their attack looked good last week against a strong defence, backline is finally showing something. The bookies have it spot on.

Sharks by 6.

W

What2040

predict huge games by:
Holmes - he must realise this is his chance for permanent run on spot at 1
Robinson - Gilly breathing down his neck so really needs to step up like in 2011
Lucas - his chance to cement 10 until the return of Quade
Hanson - now that Saia back must perform to higher standard to retain starting position
Samo - knows that he is starting to be considered a bench player so will want to delay that as long as possible

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sharks were undefeated at home last year against overseas opposition. Reds haven't won in Durban for a few years. You need to score tries to beat the Sharks at home, Reds haven't been doing that and the Sharks hadn't conceded a try in their first 2 games. Their attack looked good last week against a strong defence, backline is finally showing something. The bookies have it spot on.

Sharks by 6.

Yeah - just like the unstoppable Stormers were going to belt the Reds at Newlands last season......

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Robinson - Gilly breathing down his neck so really needs to step up like in 2011

Honestly, it was night and day when Beau came on last weekend. Don't get me wrong, Liam's got huge potential, but I don't think he's going to be first choice until next year.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Honestly, it was night and day when Beau came on last weekend. Don't get me wrong, Liam's got huge potential, but I don't think he's going to be first choice until next year.

Beau bashes blokes in contesting for the ball, we really needed that against the fired up Rebs. Gill plays a different style of game, he is quick and gets in underneath blokes contesting the ball. Beau bashing the Shorks and then bringing Gill on is the way to go. Maybe against the the really mobile Kiwi teams Gill on first may work better?

Status
Not open for further replies.