• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Highlanders Super Rugby R5 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

Go the 'new' Brumbies. What a fabulous win!

As it always is and always will be, talent chosen and then liberated by fine leadership, coaching and selection.

And the cleaning out of the forces of mediocrity.

Credit must be given to a heretofore fragile ACT RU, in 2011 nearly on its last legs, having the courage and decisiveness to invest in new leadership and proven competence.

Weren't you one of the lynch mob after the "Jake White to England" situation?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I was ready to be very critical of Jake should he have taken this England option, to leave a previously solemn moral and business commitment to the ACTRU and the Brumbies. And he himself declared, then reversed, his flirtation with this northern siren song; unapologetically, I was aghast at this seeming superficiality of commitment. Like many here, I was delighted and relieved when he sensibly returned to his best moral compass.

The record of GAGR archives will if needed show that from the moment the ACT RU announced Jake's appointment in 2011, I was hugely supportive of this gutsy decision.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Some observations from the game.

It wasnt that cold - whoever mentioned that earlier must have been dreaming.

The crowd at the game was quiet as - Ive been to country rugby games where the crowd gets more engaged. It was like a mausoleum. The Brumbies heirachy could take a few tips from the Rebels mob.

The Brumbies looked for the entire game very fragile and as if they were always on the edge of getting touched up.

I think Tomane touched the ball twice for 2 tries.

The breakway (Hooper?) seemed to be always pilfering the ball - will have to check the fantasy points - he must have had 5 or 6 steals.

The Brumbies seemed to get the better deal from the referee.

Beers 5.80 and very nice Kebab

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Upset that I missed the game. From the comments posted thus far Hooper clearly had a great game, but can anyone tell me how Tomane went. Heard he got a couple of tries, but was that a result of greater involvement throughout the match?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First try was an intercept in the opening mins, it was his first touch. Showed good toe.
Second was a good piece of support play but probably any winger would've scored. Would like to see him get more ball still.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
First try was an intercept which eventuated from good defence in the backline which appeared to fluster the Highlanders a bit and so a risky pass was thrown. Tomane showed good speed to clear the defence zone, and from there he was accelerating away with very good top speed. His second try was a fairly regulation try after a good pass from Smith(?), although he still had to evade at least one defender. He didn't get many opportunities thereafter, although I thought he was solid. He looked promising. Ditto Mogg. Lealifano was very good, Hooper was excellent and the tight five very solid and hard working, albeit a couple of gaps were found down the middle early in the second half.

J

J0HN

I was at the ground tonight and enjoyed a gutsy win from a young side. Speight pilfering the ball on one side for Tomane to score on the other side was a highlight. Love it. (At least it appeared to be Speight from my vantage point.)

Hooper was very good tonight. Benny A made a schoolboy error in coming in from the side when Brumbies were in possession 5 metres out and looking likely to score in the first half. Was a costly mistake.

I disagree with Namtrak that the Brumbies got the better deal from the referee. The try from the 12 and a couple of knock ons that were let go would suggest otherwise.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Just returned from the game. It was a bit cold, but not enough to be an issue. Highlanders are an excellent team, and will continue to do well - the loss of Blade (apparently compound Ankle fracture) was a terrible thing, but they will react. I do not know what match you watched if you say that the Brumbies benefited for refereeing decisions. On several occasions the ref was in fact booed by the local crowd for puzzling decisions - e.g. when Moore was tackled before receiving the ball and he gave a penalty to the Highlanders, only to change his decision when one of his assistants intervened. Anyway, could've should've would've.

The Brums made quite a number of mistakes, both handling and turning over the ball in tight situations, as well in kicking. They won because of their relentless defence, and for the exceptional performance of a number of players - Hooper and the forwards in particular. Who knows, maybe they'll go on to the finals or maybe they'll falter along the way - who cares - as long as they play as they lives depend on it, I'll be always there to suppor them.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Local crowd booing a ref? Really?

Moore had and dropped the ball before he was tackled (check the replay)

I do agree, the Brumbies did defend well, but for some reason I felt their defence still seemed like it was always about to break open

C

Cave Dweller

A young Brumby side which is in the process of a rebuild beat one of the form teams in the tournament who have beaten some of the top teams. No one really expected much from them but they are really starting o perform above expectation and turned in a gutsy performance in today.

They did what really matters and that is to win. Highlanders thought back nicely and it looked like the highlanders had the momentum for the last 20 minutes but they showed character and pulled through by 7 points. Congrats. A win is a win. 4 points and they can head into the next game with their noses up.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
On several occasions the ref was in fact booed by the local crowd for puzzling decisions - e.g. when Moore was tackled before receiving the ball and he gave a penalty to the Highlanders, only to change his decision when one of his assistants intervened.

Was not an early tackle, though, it was perfectly timed.
But ref was good overall and the better team on the night won. Highlanders didn't clean out properly and the Brumbies, especially Hooper, capitalised. Good on them.

That Hooper try was just so annoying, it was really well taken, and the ref rightly let play go, but how can the Highlanders have let that happen... Highlanders desperately need the bye, and Thomson and Hardie back.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I was being ironic, and if you want to be specific I think the boringly quiet crowd almost booed the ref on two occasions. I remember going to a Wallabies Italy game at the Canberra Stadium a few years ago and thinking at the time that the crowd didn't really get engaged in the game at all. Turns out nothing has changed.

N

Newter

I was ready to be very critical of Jake should he have taken this England option, to leave a previously solemn moral and business commitment to the ACTRU and the Brumbies. And he himself declared, then reversed, his flirtation with this northern siren song; unapologetically, I was aghast at this seeming superficiality of commitment. Like many here, I was delighted and relieved when he sensibly returned to his best moral compass.

The record of GAGR archives will if needed show that from the moment the ACT RU announced Jake's appointment in 2011, I was hugely supportive of this gutsy decision.

Right, right, you enjoy watching a good coach at work. So do I. Just save us the moralistic tripe next time, eh?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll save you nothing Newter. Stick to your own guidelines for your own work, and I'll stick to mine.

Just as it should be on an open forum permitting free expression not subject to the instructions or stylistic imposition of any one person.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
My initial doubts that the highlanders could win this turned out to be accurate. Without our top line up it was always going to be iffy. They will be ruing the soft intercept try. Looks like a little bit of panic set in. I thought they lacked a gameplan for a while there in the second half. But well done to the brumbies. They punished any lapses. Well done to the Clan. they very nearly won it.
i thought James Haskell looked a bit lost at times, and struggled to last the full 80. Jimmy Cowan is now trying too hard, so our half back passing and attack went to pieces.

What a great game to watch. I would love to see a rematch later in the season. Hopefully the finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.