• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies problem positions: Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Although Beale didn't do anything amazing on the weekend, he was a constant threat for the defensive line, and broke or half-broke a lot of tackles, only to be collared by the next. To me it was a sign of some degree of confidence to keep attacking, which is important for him. Provided he stays fit, I think he will be the clear 15 candidate come Test time.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think having a poor tasting beer as the Director of Head Coaching is a good idea. Everyone knows that TT would do that job anyway. We are trying to be serious here.
Sorry, there was an extra "X" in my guess.
And after reading;
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/new-and-better-2012-robbie-isms.10668/
I think I one of the biggest problem positions will be "interpreter" for Robbie.

And on a less serious note I'd love to see Mogg get a go and IMSO Palu was good against the Rebels last week but a week earlier he was crap - offloads when there was no chance etc so it's not a week in, week out more a week noooo!, week out I'd rather see a young'un blooded with Palu as backup.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sorry post me some links to where he has played "world class" in tests. He is a very good player who hasn't gone close to reaching his potential, which is world class from the glimpses we have seen. At this stage there are far better performing players than KB (Kurtley Beale). But then I had this argument last year regarding Elsom and others and they turned out how after I was derided for holding those views?

I won't post you links, but I will come up with a few examples.

Nominated for IRB player of the year in 2010. Surely that is enough in itself?
MoTM vs Wales, England in spring tour of 2010.
Great games in both SA 3N games in 2010, including kicking us to victory with the pressure right on from 50+.

Sure he was a bit quiet in 2011, but he was battling injury most of the RWC and beyond.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think Deans is well aware how Lilo and White are going. Actually, he said just that last week. I think also he will be reluctant to start too many debutants at once and he will want to avoid a samoa style disaster at all costs.

White will surely be the reserve 9 and he should get significant time against Scotland and/or Wales

I have no doubt McCabe will start at 12 unless he is broken, and Deans sees Barnes as a 12 behind him in the pecking order. That's consistent with form anyway.

10 has become problematic.

Deans has both shown and stated he would rather not start Barnes there, JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade are broken, and the form player - Lilo - is a debutant who will have a week or less in camp before the first international.

But he is playing 10, well, next to the wallaby 12 in McCabe. I hope we see him.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Oh, and 'luckily' by having consecutive tests in a few days, there will be ample opportunity to run alternatives to Palu. He's struggling to play an hour a week. But I think he deserves and we are better with him.

P

Paradox

10. Lilo 12. Barnes 13. McCabe - could work until Quade and Bieber come back from injury. I like the idea of having a very strong kicker next to Lilo. Lilo has an average long kicking game.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
This will be the second time I've brought him up in a similar thread, and I don't want to cop a rep, but sitaleki timani is big, tough as a $2 steak, and a workhorse at the ruck. Pyle is probably getting more of a look in at the moment, as Kane Douglas is keeping Sita on the bench. Either of these 3 play a hard tight game that would allow a looser 6.

Timani really?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand the preference for introducing a player to test rugby from the bench, but given the current form & fitness of other candidates I would be happy to see Lilo get a start at 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh, and 'luckily' by having consecutive tests in a few days, there will be ample opportunity to run alternatives to Palu. He's struggling to play an hour a week. But I think he deserves and we are better with him.

I don't think Palu is struggling to play an hour a week so much as Foley is reluctant to play one of his key players for longer than he has to particularly given his injury history.

Every interview I have heard with Palu indicates that he wants more minutes.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
fit, he is the best 8 we have

he is fit, if he stays fit, he will be selected. Samo has been terrible this season, Mowen is a tradesman, he would do the job, but he doesn't offer that special something you want from an 8, unless it is workrate to cover for say Higgers ranging wide.

Locks, Horwill & Sharpe then daylight. Simmons has too much of the "Mumm" shortcuts about him, the rest (Douglas, Pyle, Jones) well they aren't test standard yet, they neither physically dominate moving rucks consistently or boss a lineout, they work hard but are not yet test players.

6? I wouldn't write Elsom off just yet, if he is fit and stays fit he is the best 6 we have. Otherwise you have the outwide runner or the tradesman (Higgers or Dennis) a fit Elsom does both those roles. The smokey could be Luke Jones, he like Dennis & Elsom look proper, hard-working 6s

That's essentially what i'd like to see, as Higginbotham will most likely be the blindside, so I would hope we have the sense to pick a very hard working 8 to make up for his seagulling tendencies, or Pocock will get flattened repeatedly.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
No mention of Saffy as a potential 6. Not tall enough or not playng particularly well (haven't seen enough Rebels games to judge)?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Saffy is a 7, like Alcock, not an out and out fetcher but OK, a mobile solid defender and good ball in hand

L

Lachlan

I agree with the sentiment of KB (Kurtley Beale) being a dissapointing 15 at test. Lovely skillset, but FFS stop chipping the ball! He gives away far too much pill at a level where maturity and good decision making is required from a fullback. His success rate with chip n chase since the opposition got wise to it must be next to nil. I would like to see him at 10 with the instruction from TT (via his puppet Robbie) that every short range kick he tries that doesn't directly result in a try will be a 5km run for him after training.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
10. Lilo 12. Barnes 13. McCabe - could work until Quade and Bieber come back from injury. I like the idea of having a very strong kicker next to Lilo. Lilo has an average long kicking game.

Well i'm struggling to work out why the hell you would then select Barnes? I'm presuming because you think he's a 'very strong tactical kicker' ?

He isn't. He just kicks it so often that occasionally he gets one right. A good kicker, he most certainly isn't.

P

Paradox

Well i'm struggling to work out why the hell you would then select Barnes? I'm presuming because you think he's a 'very strong tactical kicker' ?

He isn't. He just kicks it so often that occasionally he gets one right. A good kicker, he most certainly isn't.

BMan, he has demonstrated more than anyone else in the current Wallaby setup, the ability to control a game with his boot - particularly at test level - see world cup. I'm not saying he is great at it but he is better at it than any of the other options at 10/12.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He's not in great form though. If he can't find it, I'd rather see others get a shot.

W

What2040

BMan, he has demonstrated more than anyone else in the current Wallaby setup, the ability to control a game with his boot - particularly at test level - see world cup. I'm not saying he is great at it but he is better at it than any of the other options at 10/12.
But THIS time we will be attacking attacking and attacking so mindless defensive kicks will be unnecessary

Status
Not open for further replies.