• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Found on the Padua website their team against eddies:

1st XV RUGBY

1. Jacob Musumeci
2. Brent Fordyce
3. Garrath Ryan
4. Jake O’Brien
5. Rhys Melville
6. John Dillon
7. Sam Knight
8. Tom Richter
9. James Briskie
10. Arnold Reutschi
11. Tom Collins
12. Liam Picard
13. Sam Fall
14. John Collins
15. Mario Loga

I

i hate soccer

Should be an interesting first round for all teams, A big IONA v ASHGROVE clash should be interesting, both teams are structured and want the premiership this year. What are your thoughts?

V

Viss

Pats outplayed Villa in the trial on the weekend, rumoured to have imported some help in the backs in particular. From reports, will miss this weekends game against Peters. Pats will be in some trouble without them, completely different side.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
ok Gents I know it's tough predicting first rounds results but let's be brave and have a crack
Villa vs Lawries
eddies vs padua
Iona vs ash
pattys vs peters

i gone with all home teams winning the first round pattys/peters a toss of a coin one,
match of the round iona v ash, iona just with the extra 1st experience

predictions???

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lauries team for this weekend:

1. Nic White
2. Sam Richards
3. Alex Hatzis
4. Adam Smith
5. Sam Butterworth
6. Jordan Scholl
7. Jono Raud
8. Shayden McKay
9. Damon Bingham
10. Tim Robinson
11. Batu Maladina
12. Xavier Bell
13. Mitchell Hanlon
14. Brad Kelegai
15. Jack Dempsey

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Villa v Lauries: Toss of the coin but i think Lauries might just get over the line here with their relatively strong forward pack in likely overcast and wet conditions. Lauries by 3.
Eddies v Padua: Eddies at home against the only team they lost to last year. Padua not as strong as last year and Eddies are stronger than last year. Eddies by 20.
Iona v Ash: Huge match for both teams, Ashgrove not the greatest pre season and Iona have a lot of returning 1st players who will be seeing this as a huge opportunity to beat Ashgrove at Iona for the first time in a long time. Iona by 7.
Pats v Peters: Peters beat Pats by 45 in the pre season but apparently Pats had their key players out. I still think Peters will win but it will be close with it being at Pats. Peters by 5.

ka_ora

Frank Row (1)
Last minute predictions for today games in wet conditions.
Villa vs Lauries: Villa by 7
Eddies vs Padua: Eddies by 9
Iona vs Ash: Should be a cracker, Iona to win but no idea on how much
Pats vs Peters: Peters by 12

3DD!3$01D80Y

Eddies victorious over Padua 32-0, tough game in wet, muddy conditions

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Villa victorious over Lauries 22-20, tough game in wet, muddy conditions
A game that could of gone either way Lauries led 20-17 late in the second half. Sorridimi and Hatzis stood out for both sides but apart from that 4, 7, 8 and 11 had a really good crack for Lauries and 10 and 15 controlled the game particularly well for Villa in the first half while 2 and 6 worked hard in the forwards.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
great to see many of the groundsmen of cic and aic grounds allowing games to proceed in the very wet conditions today. i get very frustrated with the over protected groundsmen who often won't allow games to be play in conditions like we had today, how are we ever going to beat the kiwis away if we don't allow the boys to learn how to play in the wet.
speaking of which one team who can certainly learn how not to play in the wet is iona.
going down to ash by 3 tries to zip.
ash forwards looked very organized, restarts strong and some great forward drives tries. can't really appraisal ashgrove backs in attack, ash play clever wet weather footy and kept the in close. however the back-line did put pressure on the iona's backs in defense often contributing to drop ball.
iona never got into the game they seem intent to shift the ball laterally with spinning passes and trying to run around ashgrove's back-line. boys i give you a tip when it's as wet as today, pickndrive or pop the ball to a center who will run straight save the big expansive back-line for dry weather.
I not sure what the iona coach's message was at half time but there was no improvement after the break??????
congrats to ashgrove they play some smart rugby today and i sure iona will learn from the experience of wet weather footy. as i hope all teams did today.
love to here reports from the other grounds

A

AICfan12

Peters beat Pats. Not sure on the final score but Peters looked comfortable, was something like 5/6 tries to 1. Peters did very well in the wet conditions, keeping it in tight before unleashing there (suprisingly) strong back 3 off poor Patties clearing kicks.

Pick of the players for Pats were the; 1 - worked hard all day until he collapsed from a head knock, 14 - looked good when ever he touched the ball. While for Peters the whole forward pack worked hard and the 15 and 11 were strong. Not too sure who the big Islander 11 is but had a whale of a second half.

B

BrisbaneRugby93

great to see many of the groundsmen of cic and aic grounds allowing games to proceed in the very wet conditions today. i get very frustrated with the over protected groundsmen who often won't allow games to be play in conditions like we had today, how are we ever going to beat the kiwis away if we don't allow the boys to learn how to play in the wet.
speaking of which one team who can certainly learn how not to play in the wet is iona.
going down to ash by 3 tries to zip.
ash forwards looked very organized, restarts strong and some great forward drives tries. can't really appraisal ashgrove backs in attack, ash play clever wet weather footy and kept the in close. however the back-line did put pressure on the iona's backs in defense often contributing to drop ball.
iona never got into the game they seem intent to shift the ball laterally with spinning passes and trying to run around ashgrove's back-line. boys i give you a tip when it's as wet as today, pickndrive or pop the ball to a center who will run straight save the big expansive back-line for dry weather.
I not sure what the iona coach's message was at half time but there was no improvement after the break??????
congrats to ashgrove they play some smart rugby today and i sure iona will learn from the experience of wet weather footy. as i hope all teams did today.
love to here reports from the other grounds

I didn't make it to the Iona vs Ashgrove clash unfortunately, but well done to Ash sounds like a hard-fought, well-deserved win and heads up Iona boys. Who were the standout players from both sides?

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well for all of the huffing and puffing that goes on on this forum about players not playing their "full sides" in trials, it would appear to me that much of the pre season trial form has held up in the first round, the only exception being Ashgrove, whose form against Sydney opponents was difficult to gauge anyway.
This comp appears to be quickly emerging as a two horse race - Ashgrove and Eddies, whose results thus far seem to be establishing them as about 20 points superior to the other sides. (Ashgrove over Iona by 18, Eddies over St Peters by 22 and Eddies over Padua by a slightly higher margin). Then there is a group of 5 who I think can beat each other on any given day (Iona, Peters, Villa, Lauries and Padua) - the close results in trials and round one show this (Villa v Padua, Villa / Lauries, Iona/Lauries). Then Paddies bring up the rear, going down by convincing margins to Peters (twice) and Lauries.
AIC fans may notice that this week, the winners from round one all play off (Ash v SPLC and Eddies v Villa). This means that after this weekend there will only be two undefeated teams and I don't think there are any surprises for guessing which two that will be. So after that we will just be going through the motions until round six when the blockbuster takes place. Sure there will be some very close games in the meantime, most notably between the "middle five" teams but overall this is looking like a two horse race. Thoughts??

B

BrisbaneRugby93

Well for all of the huffing and puffing that goes on on this forum about players not playing their "full sides" in trials, it would appear to me that much of the pre season trial form has held up in the first round, the only exception being Ashgrove, whose form against Sydney opponents was difficult to gauge anyway.
This comp appears to be quickly emerging as a two horse race - Ashgrove and Eddies, whose results thus far seem to be establishing them as about 20 points superior to the other sides. (Ashgrove over Iona by 18, Eddies over St Peters by 22 and Eddies over Padua by a slightly higher margin). Then there is a group of 5 who I think can beat each other on any given day (Iona, Peters, Villa, Lauries and Padua) - the close results in trials and round one show this (Villa v Padua, Villa / Lauries, Iona/Lauries). Then Paddies bring up the rear, going down by convincing margins to Peters (twice) and Lauries.
AIC fans may notice that this week, the winners from round one all play off (Ash v SPLC and Eddies v Villa). This means that after this weekend there will only be two undefeated teams and I don't think there are any surprises for guessing which two that will be. So after that we will just be going through the motions until round six when the blockbuster takes place. Sure there will be some very close games in the meantime, most notably between the "middle five" teams but overall this is looking like a two horse race. Thoughts??

I disagree. In my opinion, the only side that has shown throughout pre-season and in round 1 that they are "20 points above" the rest of the competition is St Edmunds. They have consistently put in excess of 30 points or so on opposition teams, as well as conceding very little points. And yes... Ashgrove may have put 23 points to 0 on Iona yesterday, but by all reports the scoreline does not reflect the true nature of the game. By all accounts it was certainly not a flawless performance from the bumblebees, nothing that would have troubled St Edmunds anyway. Also, I disagree with the "group of 5" idea. Iona put 23-0 on Padua a week ago and St Peters are expected to smash Villa and Lauries, will probably belt Padua too. Playing at their best, I could see St Peters' backline causing an upset against Iona or Ashgrove. As for Villa and Lauries, their 22-20 result on Saturday shows they are basically on a par with each other, and as for St Pats, they are yet to produce anything this year to prove they will not be 2012's wooden spooners.

So, if you were to be disecting 2012's AIC competition at this stage of the season, it would appear something like this:
Tier 1 - St Edmunds
Tier 2 - Ashgrove, Iona, Peters
Tier 3 - Villa, Lauries
Tier 4 - St Pats.

Regardless, if round 1 was anything to go by, 2012's AIC season will be one of high-quality and entertaining schoolboy rugby. I certainly look forward to the future fixtures.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I didn't make it to the Iona vs Ashgrove clash unfortunately, but well done to Ash sounds like a hard-fought, well-deserved win and heads up Iona boys. Who were the standout players from both sides?
standouts Ash 9 and most forwards played well for ash
iona no real surprise here, 8 b.wilkin iona
star center was very disappointing completely out of sorts seem to lost confidence bad ball didn't help him with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.