• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
there is some talk on the aic thread that GPS coaches/poaches have been seen watching the aic talent, nothing new there and imo they are most likely just enjoying watching some school footy however some are more concern that some offers maybe on the table to a few aic players to move schools once again no surprises there. however what has been raised and I hoping someone may provided some light on is that GPS changing rugby to term 3 will cause more offers/poaching. my question is how and why anyone?

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
there is some talk on the aic thread that GPS coaches/poaches have been seen watching the aic talent, nothing new there and imo they are most likely just enjoying watching some school footy however some are more concern that some offers maybe on the table to a few aic players to move schools once again no surprises there. however what has been raised and I hoping someone may provided some light on is that GPS changing rugby to term 3 will cause more offers/poaching. my question is how and why anyone?

There have definitely been some coaches around at some of the games, although I would be surprised if any of the players made a shift for their final year. I don't think that the season change would have an impact, as I wouldn't expect any players to shift midyear. Overall I don't think any players will change schools unless they are standouts in a side that is losing every week, and are offered a scholarship to a GPS premiership contending side.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'd imagine these coaches would be looking at 11's, but I can't see poaching really becoming more of an issue than it has been before. Churchie does it alot but usually when the Under 15 QLD team is named so they get two years out of the kid.

Even when players are deemed 'good' enough to be poached, they don't really see the fuss in attending a GPS school - Brad Wilkin from Iona has reportedly been offered a scholarship to every GPS school but he's happy where he is.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd imagine these coaches would be looking at 11's, but I can't see poaching really becoming more of an issue than it has been before. Churchie does it alot but usually when the Under 15 QLD team is named so they get two years out of the kid.

Even when players are deemed 'good' enough to be poached, they don't really see the fuss in attending a GPS school - Brad Wilkin from Iona has reportedly been offered a scholarship to every GPS school but he's happy where he is.
says a lot about Brad his family and school

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With GPS representative teams trials coming up, anyone want to predict a team?

Mmm tough one.
I'll leave it to the experts but #4 Preen and #12 Tuttle would be certainties.

#5 Korzyck (BSHS), #5 Cornelson (BGS), #6 Gunn (ACGS), #7 MacMillan (ACGS), #8 Aiono (BGS), #9 Quigley (ACGS), #10 Thirdd (TSS), #10 Eason (ACGS), #11 Goodrich (TGS), #14 Kallel (BBC), #14 Ioane (ACGS), #15 Tibetts (BSHS)

..those names should feature in there somewhere too..

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
GPS 1/GPS 2
1. Dee Anae - NC / Nick Anderson - BGS
2. Francois Postale - NC / Dimitri Loukaras - BSHS
3. Cody Blackhurst - BGS / Benroy Sala - BBC
4. Isaac French - GT (A real bolter, but the kid has talent and height along the lines of Sam Reiser who is now in the Aus U/20 side) / Michael Gilbert - BGS
5. Dan Preen - IGS / Adam Korczyk - BSHS
6. Henry Fitzgerald - NC / Digger McMillan - ACGS
7. Michael Gunn - ACGS / Connor Mulheron - ACGS
8. Lochey Oppenheimer - ACGS / Lakehm Aiono - BGS
9. Darcy Eason - ACGS / Jack Tuttle - NC
10. James Dalgleish - GT / Mitch Third - TSS
11. Alex West - ACGS / Adam Gauder - TSS
12. Jack Tuttle - NC / Jack Heenan - GT
13. ??????
14. Monty Ioane - ACGS / Will Shipperley - NC
15. Tom Given - GT / Logan Tibbetts - BSHS

I

iluvfooty

Mmm tough one.
I'll leave it to the experts but #4 Preen and #12 Tuttle would be certainties.

#5 Korzyck (BSHS), #5 Cornelson (BGS), #6 Gunn (ACGS), #7 MacMillan (ACGS), #8 Aiono (BGS), #9 Quigley (ACGS), #10 Thirdd (TSS), #10 Eason (ACGS), #11 Goodrich (TGS), #14 Kallel (BBC), #14 Ioane (ACGS), #15 Tibetts (BSHS)

..those names should feature in there somewhere too..

is jeriah goodrich still in grade 12? i can see a problem arising with him, he is in the broncos toyota cup squad and will probably get called in soon at the way there going so tgs could see some games without him

sniper22

Bob McCowan (2)
Here's my dream team for BSHS 1st XV 2012, I think they have an awesome and very hardworking squad, not as strong as previous years, but are sure to do the hard yards.

1. Patrick Tholler
2. Dimitri Loukaras/Dallas Brown
3. Wayan McClean/Dylan Mathews
4. Joey Kendall
5. Adam Korczyk
6. Patrick Fortescue
7. Callum Enoch
8. Vai Fitisemanu
9. Michael Siaki/Jack Martin
10. Logan Tibbetts
11. Antonio Asiata
12. Liam Dunne
13. Antoine Pereira/Josh L'Hota
14. Simon Ti
15. Joseph Agresta

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sniper22:
Certainly not the strongest side State High have produced, but interesting post and good to see the first real piece of information to come out of BSHS in regard to their XV. Tibbetts and Korczyk will hold that team together but it will be interesting to see how the others perform. Not sure they are a top 3 side but State High never fail to impress.

The Sabanator:
Those appear to be on the money. A few issues I have though:
A) MacMillan (ACGS) is an openside, Gunn (ACGS) is a blindside, swap the two around and looks more realistic, although stranger selections have happened in the past.
B) Korzych is the heart and soul of the BSHS forward pack and has represented QLD at every age-level so far, I can't see him being overlooked for a relative unknown from GT, Gilbert (BGS) would also have to be ahead of him in the selectors eyes as he's also had a full season in the 1st XV. Both these boys would have to be pipped by Cornelson (BGS) who played GPS 2 last year.
C) You have neglected BBC, although the team is weak I rate their back three. Experienced heads at 14 in Kallel and 15 in Banks would be expected to feature amongst GPS team sheets I imagine, although competition from Tibbetts, West, Given, Ioane and Shipperly could see them miss out altogether.
D) Much of the backline make-up will depend on where selectors see Eason's future. He faces the dilemma of being the perfect utility as he plays both 9 & 10 and has represented QLD in both positions. He will face stiff competition from VIC representative Quigley and QLD representative Watson for both these respective positions at Churchie alone. I'd have him at 9 but he tends to reach the breakdown too slow at times and his passing has bad days.
E) Tarr (TSS) is also a darkhorse for a spot amongst the pigs. Representing BBC last year he was selected for GPS 3 and performed so well TSS offered him a scholarship, which he understandably took. He will be in the back of selectors minds and experience may push him over the line.

Rest looks fairly accurate, though I tend to think IGS and TSS may feature more heavily in GPS 2 & 3.

Off the top of my head:
1. Anae (NC), Anderson (BGS), Sala (BSHS)
2. Lawless (BBC), Loukaras (BSHS), Postale (NC)
3. Pleash (IGS), Clifton (TSS), Warriner (ACGS)
4. Preen (IGS), Fordyce (NC), Kendall (BSHS)
5. Cornelson (BGS), Korzyck (BSHS), Georgiou (ACGS)
6. Fitzgerald (NC), Gunn (ACGS), Hood (BBC)
7. MacMillan (ACGS), Mulheron (IGS), Bougoure (TGS)
8. Oppenheimer (ACGS), Aiono (BGS), Sikimenti (NC)
9. Eason (ACGS), Deck (TGS), Martin (BSHS)
10. Tibbetts (BSHS), Dagliesh (GT)
11. Shipperly (NC), West (ACGS), Radford (BGS)
12. Tuttle (NC), McClanahan (ACGS)
13. Potgeiter (TGS), Hayes (IGS), Heenan (GT)
14. Ioane (ACGS), Gauder (TSS), Kallel (BBC)
15. Third (TSS), Banks (BBC), Given (GT)

Iluvfooty,
You are right, my mistake. He finished last year.

Can anyone clarify the positions of the following players who made QLD U16's last year? Mafi (NC), Dyring (BBC), Ivey (TGS), Placid (TGS), Rodwell (NC), Brennan (NC), Harlow (GT), Leieisiuao (NC),

NC has a fair few players there, underestimating them would be a serious mistake.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Why is nobody considering Sam Greene? #10 for BGS Last Year and GPS 1.

#15 for BGS last year and GPS 3. Although he did stand up during the trials and made QLD 2 from memory. I read somewhere he has injury concerns, if not then he would be a front runner for GPS 1. Also was in year 12 last year so there's alot of questions as to if he is actually repeating or not.

I

iboughtfood

This BSHS outfit may not look too impressive, however, the likes of Jack Martin, Joe Kendall, Joseph Agresta, Dim Loukaras (All QLD Clubs regulars), and Josh L'Hota (injury prone), Vai Fitisemanu and Liam Dunne are all to pack surprises. Maybe so, even their younger players in Antoine Pereira (winger like Digby), Serge Panochini (absolute killer within his age group) and Callum Enoch (former winger, amazing pace, will have to see how he goes on the flank).

I must say, Liam Dunne is one quiet figure that will surprise many. I believe a possible QLD outfit for this amount of talent, being overshadowed by his preference of pursuing rowing during the pre-season footy stuff. Dunne, in my opinion, could've become a regular for the 2011 BSHS XV, however his commitment to the rowing hindered that chance miserably.

With other schools, sad to see Dean Van Heteran of Churchie being moved to AIC footy for Marist. Should see him in a hopeful QLD jersey as well.

With IGS, anybody know what has happened to Latham Takau? Is he still looking promising, considering his 6-ft 5" frame hahaha!

Great to see that everybody here realises that Lachlan Oppenheimer, of Churchie, is destined for great things this season. Should be the standout no.8/backrower of the competition. Monty should also see representative honours.

BBC have a new-look squad, with the surprising signing of prop Benroy Sala, formery BSHS. Sala mirrors Daniel Anae's (NC) scrummaging abiities, however, with fitness, can definitely out-attack any other prop in the GPS system at the moment. Gareth Kallel will also see representative honours. This marvel of a winger has been a standout for the past 2 years in the BBC line up, and pairing with Ned Heathcoate, within the centres, should see some awesome changes for the College boys. Heathcoate is also one who hasn't seen a mention. Great attacking skill, dominates every tackle, chances of furthering his name last season due to injuries, from what was heard, but he will be a force to be reckoned with in the centres.

Not much on Grammar at all, except the obvious Lakhem Aiono to try and prove that his move from the centres to the backrow was genius. Still has a Ma'a Nonu frame, in my opinion, but we shall see how he goes with a not-too-fancy team, in general.

Word on Dylan Sikimeti, of Nudgee, anybody? And awesome awesome awesome stuff to finally see the two Tuttle brothers finally together in the one team.

Surprised to hear of Ben Tarr's move to the south. Should also hopefully see him play well, and not let his knees buckle in the scrums.

And without further or do, my predictions for 2012 GPS season:

1. Anglican Church Grammar (predicted to lose to BSHS, considering past motives, however will destroy any other outfit)
2. Nudgee College (just lose one or two through nail-biters, will be the ones who simply get the job done, not overly fancy)
3. Brisbane Boys College (should surprise the competition, will win enough to keep them in the top 3)
4. Brisbane State High School (to shock Churchie, but lose a few shockers themselves)
5. Southport School (in my opinion, not a standout, like typical TSS line ups, but will shock a few of the better teams)
6. Gregory Terrace (past experiences should keep them on their toes, especially 2 70+ point losses in a row last season. Plenty of these boys were the younger ones last year to suffer major defeats, huge turnaround with huge motives to win)
7. Brisbane Grammar (enough said, Blackhurst and Aiono to hold the forward pack together, not much of a punch anywhere else)
8. Ipswich Grammar (huge losses from last years seniors, not enough punch to crack enough wins, but they will win and only JUST lose to the better teams)
9. Toowoomba Grammar (might look like I'm not a fan of the Grammars, but Toowoomba will be the outright losers. I beg of the boys from the Downs to prove me wrong, as the higher 8, in my opinion, are just in different strides compared to you lot.. For now)

The year will see very tight games, I can sense major losses and surprise wins. The competition will only get tighter, and good to see that every school has at least 4+ trial fixtures, probably the standardised amount necessary, compared to the last years where most were maxing out on 3 trial games. Should be another great season in the GPS, and please.. Make a statement for the AIC and Combined Secondary Schooling blokes. Unlike last year, blow the other competition out of the park because GPS was, and always will be, the better association.. By a long shot!

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I can't see State High really doing that much damage this year, their team doesn't look to have the star power of other years.

I read somewhere that somebody thought Benroy Sala had the capacity to be as good as Dee Anae. Not in a million years - Benroy is fairly slow, not really much of a scrummager and from what I have heard, hasn't made much of an impact since around Under 14's.

In all reality, Churchie are the massive favourites to win the competition - I can see at least 10 of them making a GPS side. Nudgee will give them a run for their money - an inside source has told me that their coach thinks this is their weakest team in six years, but this is still a side that has dominated this age group all the way through.

It figures to be a tight, interesting competition.

I still don't see BBC being much of a factor, even after this round of new players, but if Tom Banks is back this would be his third year in the First XV, so experience would be plentiful.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And without further or do, my predictions for 2012 GPS season:

1. Anglican Church Grammar (predicted to lose to BSHS, considering past motives, however will destroy any other outfit)
9. Toowoomba Grammar (might look like I'm not a fan of the Grammars, but Toowoomba will be the outright losers. I beg of the boys from the Downs to prove me wrong, as the higher 8, in my opinion, are just in different strides compared to you lot.. For now)

My two problems right there. I can't see Churchie losing to BSHS, they overcame the State High curse last year and their U16 team which was made up of mostly 2nd XV players defeated BSHS easily last year, against a full strength state high 16A age-group which had very few players in the 1st XV.

As for TGS, this is their best XV they have had in years. They are a school on the up and their U15 age-group is also quite strong. You only have to take one look at their U16 QLD representatives last year (Potgeiter, Ivey, Placid, Deck and Bougoure) to see that they have quite a good spine, particularly with around the ruck with Bougoure and Deck and at OC with Potgeiter. In fact, they have more U16 representative players than premiership favourites ACGS. They can't be written off and I think they will cause a few surprises. Potential dark-horse team for mine.

Would be very interested in getting an ideal XV for each GPS school. Possibly even construct a table if we can get enough information from the likes of IGS, TSS and Toowoomba.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
My two problems right there. I can't see Churchie losing to BSHS, they overcame the State High curse last year and their U16 team which was made up of mostly 2nd XV players defeated BSHS easily last year, against a full strength state high 16A age-group which had very few players in the 1st XV.

As for TGS, this is their best XV they have had in years. They are a school on the up and their U15 age-group is also quite strong. You only have to take one look at their U16 QLD representatives last year (Potgeiter, Ivey, Placid, Deck and Bougoure) to see that they have quite a good spine, particularly with around the ruck with Bougoure and Deck and at OC with Potgeiter. In fact, they have more U16 representative players than premiership favourites ACGS. They can't be written off and I think they will cause a few surprises. Potential dark-horse team for mine.

Would be very interested in getting an ideal XV for each GPS school. Possibly even construct a table if we can get enough information from the likes of IGS, TSS and Toowoomba.

TGS should definitely not be overlooked this year, having around 11 (i think) Year 11 players making up their 1st XV last year, which will add plenty of experience to their pack this year.

Q

QLDwizzkid

very valid points made Light.
Next year seems to be promising though with good group of lads in the 16's with great work ethic.
Adam Korczyk (2nd row) has played nearly every game this year with the firsts and has been one of the standouts in a forward pack which features great talent. Logan Tibbetts who has played every game this year in the firsts has also been a startling revelation, starting at 10 during the beginning of season but now appearing on the wing, Arguably the best performing back in the side, has been consistent and scored a scintillating try against Southport in the dying seconds to secure victory. Both of these talents in yr 11
Sala, Loukaras, Matthews, Kendall, Lhota have also seen time with the firsts and are looking great with the added experience.
Next year is looking promising for state high however Light's comments are very valid.
However the one thing i can see hindering BSHS 1stXV next year is the lack of depth with a weak 15's age group,
I know for fact that neither Sala or Lhota played one minute of firsts rugby in 2011

Q

QLDwizzkid

very valid points made Light.
Next year seems to be promising though with good group of lads in the 16's with great work ethic.
Adam Korczyk (2nd row) has played nearly every game this year with the firsts and has been one of the standouts in a forward pack which features great talent. Logan Tibbetts who has played every game this year in the firsts has also been a startling revelation, starting at 10 during the beginning of season but now appearing on the wing, Arguably the best performing back in the side, has been consistent and scored a scintillating try against Southport in the dying seconds to secure victory. Both of these talents in yr 11
Sala, Loukaras, Matthews, Kendall, Lhota have also seen time with the firsts and are looking great with the added experience.
Next year is looking promising for state high however Light's comments are very valid.
However the one thing i can see hindering BSHS 1stXV next year is the lack of depth with a weak 15's age group,
sala and lhota did not play any firsts rugby in 2011

I

iboughtfood

The only BSHS boys with competent Firsts experience are Logan Tibbets, Adam Korzcyk, Dimitri Loukaras, and Joseph Kendall.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The only BSHS boys with competent Firsts experience are Logan Tibbets, Adam Korzcyk, Dimitri Loukaras, and Joseph Kendall.

It's important not to underestimate the value of 1st XV experience. Nudgee 16A's had 10 players go on to represent QLD, of these only 2 played a significant role in the 1st XV (Tuttle, Shipperly). This may be quite an important factor as they have a few tough games early on particularly against Churchie in rd 2. ACGS meanwhile have the likes of Oppenheimer (1st XV since 2010), MacMillan, Gunn, Georgiou, Ioane, Eason, Watson and West, all who were consistent figures in a side which finished 2nd. A spine which will hold them in good sted particularly as these players are in key positions.

I think this could be an area where TGS could spark a few upsets although they will probably be behind the gun from the get go drawing ACGS in rd 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.