• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iboughtfood

I think this could be an area where TGS could spark a few upsets although they will probably be behind the gun from the get go drawing ACGS in rd 1.

Most definitely agree with you, light. However, the TGS side was not at all at First XV level during last year's season, which was a huge disappointment considering their previous abilities to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Nudgee and BSHS during the junior years. With this in mind, I believe TGS will be at a fairly even level, only considering their experience, but they will not excell as well as any other team will, purely based on raw talent. Not saying that they do not possess raw talent, but it's the spark as a TEAM that won't be noticed, I can assure you.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
BSHS vs BGS RD1 Predictions?
Hard to say with a improving BGS team against a significantly weaker BSHS team than last year. I'd say Grammar by 3 in a close game. I'd predict a Grammar 16A win as well

Q

QEL

Supposed players who are back this year which took part in any game during the GPS season for the firsts at state high: Loukaras, Matthews, Korzcyk, Tibbetts, Kendall, Fortescue, Dunne, Thollar
Im year 11 so no clue on the game time they received ; however Korczyk Tibbetts and Thollar were all regulars

S

SmokeyPete

Last year at the Australian National Schoolboys competition i was lucky enough to witness an outstanding display of rugby from Sam Greene of Brisbane Grammar School, and i had not realised he would again be playing schoolboys rugby until now.

Never in my years have i witnessed a schoolboy who has mastered pro-level international rate kicking like this guy had, his boot was impeccable and was clearly something to write home about for grassroots rugby in Queensland. His speed in attack was deceptive from a spectators point of view and clearly he was hard handle for the NSW defence in the game i saw him play(Being a New South Wales supporter). I only say so due to the dependability he seemed to have as a playmaker, i did not expect a lightning toe on him as well. This guys passing game also appeared quite faultless - at one point he put a Queensland outside back in a gap amongst some of the best defenders NSW had, a sight to behold. This explosiveness in attack also created, in my opinion, the try of the tournament in which Greene made a 60m break setting up a fellow Queensland team mate a try under the sticks. Although he was the smallest on the field, he easily made the biggest impact in providing Queensland a victory over the mighty NSW outfit.

Despite it being an early call, from what he showed by this performance at the National Championships, I feel safe in saying that he will be a strong contender for an Australian Schoolboys jumper.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks for that SmokeyPete, he had a stellar season with the boot. From being picked in GPS 3 not many gave him the chance of making QLD but he really stood up when it mattered. I have read somewhere that he is injured but you can only take posts on these forums with a grain of salt. A fully fit Sam Greene would be amongst the favourites for GPS 1 and QLD 1 though. As for where he plays really depends on where the selectors see his future. He is no doubt a quality fly-half but I think his best chance is at full-back where he can use his deceptive speed on the counter attack and play a Kurtley Beale type role, although he is far more predictable IMO, his kicking game is certainly up there with the best schoolboys I have seen. With the likes of Thirdd, Eason, Dagliesh and Tibbetts competing for the 10 jersey I think the selectors will probably pick him at 15, that is where his experience lies.

Q

QLDwizzkid

my Bgs team would look like this:
1. Nick Anderson (current 1stXV prop)
2. Alister Harper (Current 1stXV reserve hooker)
3. Cody BlackHurst (current 1stXV hooker- GPS 3)
4. TBA
5.TBA
6. Michael Gilbert (Current 1stXV Flanker/2nd Row)
7. Andrew Saunders (1st XV vs GT, BBC and Churchie)
8. Jack Cornelson ( Current 1stXV 2nd row- GPS 2)
9. Sam Burke(Injured 16a halfback)/ Dugie hill (Current 2nd XV halfback)
10. TBA
11. Jordan Innes (16A Winger)/ Tre * do not know his last name but 15a's Fullback
12. Lakehm Aiono (Injured Queensland League and UNion)
13. Josh Birch (Injured AUstralian League)
14. Lewis Radford (Current 1stXV winger)
15. Hugo Starr-thomas ( Current 1st XV Inside centre and fullback)
You, and most other people posting about BGS are clowns, Sam Grene repeated and will play 5/8 in 2012. TBA... kidding your self

Q

QLDwizzkid

winner in 2012

with the work going into churchie rugby now, their 1st 15 looking very hard to beat ,not a weak point anywhere on the paddock.Tss only school capable of beating them but very unlikely
watched them play against villa. knowing it wasnt their full compliment they still should have flogged villa.. it was only 4 tries to 1 I believe. Only two solid performances were from 12 - Gus McClanachan and Jayden Schafer who moved from outisde to winger throughout the game. I know it was the first trial but considering the hype of Churchie and how abysmal Villa are, i was expecting more.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
watched them play against villa. knowing it wasnt their full compliment they still should have flogged villa.. it was only 4 tries to 1 I believe. Only two solid performances were from 12 - Gus McClanachan and Jayden Schafer who moved from outisde to winger throughout the game. I know it was the first trial but considering the hype of Churchie and how abysmal Villa are, i was expecting more.

Those two guys will be lucky to make the starting XV.

Q

QLDwizzkid

Yeah i know yet within such a good team they were the only standouts.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
do u think they should make a schoolboy world comp?

Interesting thought but not really practical. I could see some benefit of a few matches between AUS/NZ/SAF schools but anything further than that, including a comp, would be far too expensive. A few of the Aus private schools tour to the UK anyway and often the players just get distracted as the matches are only trials

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
It would be logistically impossible. I'd like to see an Australian School's Championship with the champions of various associations - i.e. in Queensland have the winners of the GPS, AIC, TAS and some of the schools up north playoff against each other, two finalist teams go to the national championships. Same thing to happen in every state. Even institute some form of rankings system like American College Football, but I don't think anybody really cares enough.

Play the finals series each year either at Ballymore or the SFS, with the final being a curtain raiser for a test. The pressure environment and desire to win a national title would make for some great footy, as well as allowing for some lesser known players to get seen by schoolboys selectors.

Only downside would be that it'd almost always end up being NC/ACGS/TSS/BSHS vs Newington/Joey's/View for the national title. But still, would be interesting.

I

iboughtfood

It would be logistically impossible. I'd like to see an Australian School's Championship with the champions of various associations - i.e. in Queensland have the winners of the GPS, AIC, TAS and some of the schools up north playoff against each other, two finalist teams go to the national championships. Same thing to happen in every state. Even institute some form of rankings system like American College Football, but I don't think anybody really cares enough.

Play the finals series each year either at Ballymore or the SFS, with the final being a curtain raiser for a test. The pressure environment and desire to win a national title would make for some great footy, as well as allowing for some lesser known players to get seen by schoolboys selectors.

Only downside would be that it'd almost always end up being NC/ACGS/TSS/BSHS vs Newington/Joey's/View for the national title. But still, would be interesting.

Most definitely would love to see this aptitude of competition being developed by the ARU.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Welcome, abcde. Good to have another college boy on board. Not sure how optimistic you guys are being about BBC's chances but I do like the look of their side, IMO not top 3 but who knows..stranger things have happened.

I've posted predictions on placings before without really considering line-ups, injuries, depth or fixtures but figure I may as well dive in now with my final prediction before the season kicks off.
Not going to bother justifying any of them, its all the same thing and in the end the results will speak for themselves, the gap between 3-6 is tiny and will be determined by who plays better on the day, gets the rub of the green from refs and who can close out tough matches.

Anyway..

Includes the players they can't afford to lose. (Weakness)
1. Churchie - Georgiou, MacMillan, Oppenheimer, Eason (Second-row - 4/5)
2. Nudgee - Anae, Fitzgerald, Tuttle, Shipperly (Experience - particularly 9/10)
3. State High - Korzyck, Tibbetts, Kendall, Loukaras (Midfield - 12/13)
4. Southport - Third, Clifton, Gauder (Back-Row - 6/7/8)
5. Toowoomba - Potgeiter, Deck, Bougoure, Ivey (Inside Backs - 10/12)
6. Ipswich - Pleash, Preen, Mulheron, Hayes (Backs - General)
7. Grammar - Greene, Cornelson, Anderson, Radford (Midfield -12/13, Psychological)
8. College - Banks, Kallel, Hood, Lawless (Inside Backs - 9/10/12)
9. Terrace - Dagliesh, Given, Heenan, Harlow (Forwards - General)

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Light, you definitely know who holds the goods within each team.
State High, you've left out Liam Dunne and Jack Martin. Mid-field positions will most likely be held by Antoine Pereira (grade 11) and Josh L'Hota (injury prone, so I've heard)
Southport, Ben Tarr. Unknown of who their backrow may hold, but most definitely will not compare to the Winiata Barrett/Antony Vissiliades combination of last year
Grammar, Lakhem Aiono. Mid-field has always gone to shambles since Aiono's move to the backrow, and yes the psychological factor will play a huge role in major losses.
College, Ned Heathcoate and Benroy Sala. Forward pack is looking dominant, back line will muchly need Ned Heathcoate, former centre and now blindside flanker, huge asset to any team with Richard Kahui-type frame and game play

Most people from BGS on this thread have said that Aiono will be playing 12 this season? Can anyone confirm?
Heathcote moving to the backrow is not a big loss for BBC with Conrad Quick taking over the inside centre position (QLD U15/U16 representative).

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
Big trial this weekend with a curtain raiser before the Lions game at Suncorp between Churchie, Nudgee and TSS. Predictions?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Churchie will probably win it this weekend due to its depth but I'd be very surprised if any of the three send full strength XV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.