• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some combinations that look to be realistic in the season ahead. Really look forward to the ACGS vs NC, am hoping they play something resembling full strength sides and then play some of the fringe guys against TSS. As probably the two top teams it should be highly competitive.

Areas to watch:
ACGS - Oppenheimer (8) and the other backrowers should be impressive, how the 9/10 combo (Eason/Watson, Quigley?) is handled, Ioane, who is playing in the tight 5, whose getting time in the 12 jumper (Poplawski/McClanachan)
NC - How the forward pack (aside from the front row, that looks pretty set) goes, Tuttle at 12 for sheer enjoyment, whose on the wings.
TSS - Tarr, Thirrd. Who they have this year and any new faces

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Churchie will have breakdown dominance against both teams, particularly TSS. Nudgee have Fitzgerald who can hold his own but against the likes of Gunn, MacMillan and Oppenheimer he will need support, Georgiou is also another QLD backrower who ACGS could use at 6 but I think he will be in wearing 4 or 5 jersey. Essentially there will be 4 QLD quality backrowers against 1 from Nudgee. For this reason I doubt Churchie will take all 4 guys.

As you say, 9 & 10 will also be interesting. Churchie don't have a set 15 yet so I think Watson could slot in there, particularly because he is the number 1 kicker and Eason is so solid defensively. Eason also plays far more direct and passes better at first receiver than from the breakdown. 12 is still unknown, as is 13. The likes of McClanahan, Poplawski, Schafer and Vanuseva are competing for those, as to will Watson if Hyne gets the 15 jersey as many are predicting.

Interested to see the TSS backline, not too many stars but I think they will be up to it.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
I would have to disagree there Light. I think Churchie will go out there looking to make an impression. There has been a lot of talk about them, and they will be looking to play their best rugby on such an open stage. That being said, I don't think that they will be showing off all of their plays before the season gets underway.

I think it is very likely that the likes of Georgiou, Gunn, Macmillan, and Oppenheimer will be out on the field at the same time this weekend. In regards to the 9/10 combination, I think that they will play Quigley at 9, and Eason at 10, with McClanahan and Tanuvasa in the centres. Obvious wingers of West and Ioane, with Poplawski, Watson, or Hyne at fullback.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
Fair call BGA, can't say I disagree. Really looking forward to it though.
I think that your prediction of a heavily changing backline should be spot on this weekend, as the coaches look to test out several utility players in their best positions. Whoever plays where, it should be a great curtain raiser to a a hopefully Reds dominant game.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Sabanator, want to have a crack at a potential Nudgee XV?
1. Anae
2. Postale
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. Fitzgerald
8. Sikimeti
9. James Tuttle
11. Shipperley
12. Jack Tuttle
15. Foran

Paulo Leleisiuao,
Nic Fordyce, Riley Brennan,
Alex Mafi and
Jayden Rodwell all made QLD U/16 last year so I'd assume they'll play a role, unsure as to their positions.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'm very interested to see how Nudgee's size and other assets go against Churchie.

Churchie - best depth, best loose forwards, deepest, fastest, most skilled backline.

Nudgee - massive team, by far the best front row, some talent in the backline, best player in the competition (Tuttle).

Nudgee's front row has the ability to absolutely destroy Churchie's. It should be an absolute cracker of a game, must say I was looking forward to this more than the main event until confirmation of Quade's return.

Reactions: BGA

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Anae
2. Postale
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. Fitzgerald
8. Sikimeti
9. James Tuttle
11. Shipperley
12. Jack Tuttle
15. Foran

Paulo Leleisiuao,
Nic Fordyce, Riley Brennan,
Alex Mafi and
Jayden Rodwell all made QLD U/16 last year so I'd assume they'll play a role, unsure as to their positions.

I'd guess Mafi would get a run out there as Hooker, while I think Lelesiuao and Rodwell might fill in those gaps in 3 and 7 in your team there. Not sure about Fordyce, but Brennan might be given a run at second row

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Hopefully light can share some wisdom on positioning. But it'll take a strong performance from Churchie to sway my view that Nudgee has the better overall pack.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm very interested to see how Nudgee's size and other assets go against Churchie.

Churchie - best depth, best loose forwards, deepest, fastest, most skilled backline.

Nudgee - massive team, by far the best front row, some talent in the backline, best player in the competition (Tuttle).

Nudgee's front row has the ability to absolutely destroy Churchie's. It should be an absolute cracker of a game, must say I was looking forward to this more than the main event until confirmation of Quade's return.

Not so sure about that one, Churchie has Leamon, Warriner and Machin. All of whom played QLD schools last year and were part of the Churchie 16A team last year that won the title. None of them saw 1st XV experience except Warriner but the same could be said about the Nudgee pigs who were overshadowed by last years 1st XV mammoths. Anae would be the only one I would put above the rest, Leamon, Machin and Warriner will all hold their own against Postale and Mafi.

I think TSS will have the strongest of the 3 props, with Sam Clifton and Ben Tarr.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Anae saw time in the 1 XV last year, Postal played the past two seasons. Anae appears to have taken after his older brother and is a very strong scrummager.

I can definitely see Nudgee's front row dominating Churchie's.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ah touche, I though Postale might have been the younger brother of the 2011 hooker. In that case, you may very well be right.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Riley Brennan is a centre, so we may see him at out centre, but he also has pace so could also see him on wing.

N

NC95

even though I'm a nudgee boy i wouldn't write off Terraces chances........at getting in the top 5. There a well drilled side that with there coach being the coach of their last premiership could go mid table, i think he knows what he has to do to improve terrace rugby to what it was 3 or 4 years ago. My prediction of their side

1. S.Wilson/L.Harlow
2. T.Mellor
3. R.Green
4. I.French
5. B.Laxon/B.Ovenden
6. D.Pepper/B.Laxon
7. X. Power
8. D.Siteleni
9. A.Fowler
10. J.Dalgleish
11. J.Jenkins
12. K.Larosa
13. J.Heenan
14. L.O'Rourke
15. T.Given

There may be no stand out players but watched there 16A trial game against nudgee last year which included all of last years first 15 players who played in 16's except for L.Robson who now attends nudgee. And terrace were winning until the last play where nudgee scored an intercept try. This was the last time I'm guessing they played together, and when J.Dalgleish and T.Given play together in attack they had nudgee all figured out.

Nudgee Churchie and TSS will surely take out top 3 but apart from that its really anyones game, its going to be an interesting season and i would really like to see some underdogs come out.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Churchie 12 - Nudgee 12
Nudgee 21 - TSS 12
Churchie 7 - TSS 0

Pretty low quality games. TSS forward pack was dominant against both Nudgee and Churchie. Jack Tuttle was outstanding, the difference in the Nudgee v TSS game. That's about all.

- Nudgee back-line looked weaker than I expected, although forward pack was dominant it was also very slow and fatigued very quickly. Had 12-0 lead over Churchie but just couldn't keep it up for 25 mins and were ran over the top of. Another few minutes and Churchie would have won it.
-Churchie played only 6 or so starting XV players at one time and so hard to get a read on them. #8 Oppenheimer was best on ground against TSS, #13 Vanuseva was standout performer against Nudgee. #9 Quigley was also very good but was rested against TSS, Eason replaced him but was very slow to the breakdown. Injury concern for Georgiou, 2nd XV forward pack was weak against TSS.
- TSS back-line lacked creativity aside from their #12. Forward pack was brilliant but I think only because they played a fatigued Nudgee pack and Churchie's 2nd XV. Can't see them finishing top 3 with their performances.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
Churchie 12 - Nudgee 12
Nudgee 21 - TSS 12
Churchie 7 - TSS 0

Pretty low quality games. TSS forward pack was dominant against both Nudgee and Churchie. Jack Tuttle was outstanding, the difference in the Nudgee v TSS game. That's about all.

- Nudgee back-line looked weaker than I expected, although forward pack was dominant it was also very slow and fatigued very quickly. Had 12-0 lead over Churchie but just couldn't keep it up for 25 mins and were ran over the top of. Another few minutes and Churchie would have won it.
-Churchie played only 6 or so starting XV players at one time and so hard to get a read on them. #8 Oppenheimer was best on ground against TSS, #13 Vanuseva was standout performer against Nudgee. #9 Quigley was also very good but was rested against TSS, Eason replaced him but was very slow to the breakdown. Injury concern for Georgiou, 2nd XV forward pack was weak against TSS.
- TSS back-line lacked creativity aside from their #12. Forward pack was brilliant but I think only because they played a fatigued Nudgee pack and Churchie's 2nd XV. Can't see them finishing top 3 with their performances.

Tanuvasa played an excellent game but I would pick Ioane as the standout in Churchie's backline. Strong running and solid defense set up and saved tries for Churchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.