• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kafe's Chalkboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Kafe is great. alongside Mcardle (sp?) he is the best on the show. Could do without Marto and Kearnsy and I am yet to figure out what cannon offers from a commentary point of view.
Replace cannon with Freier next year and keep timmy horan. three hosts - that's all they need.
I would lose horan, he is a worse speaker than Mark Taylor on the cricket, has he always got something in his mouth, and why does he have to talk so fast?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Cross Country Volley Ball footy shows seem to make good use of personable, presentable and knowledgeable ex-coaches (do any of these exist in Rugbydom?) in their various shows. Some of these are recently retired (or sacked) coaches.

Is there any scope to include Coach on the Fox Rugby panel after the clean out of the current non-swimmers?

Failing that how about a 5-8 minute "Coaches Corner" segment integrated with the Kafe's chalkboard. Too much more than that would be too much.

Not sure who would be the best for this, perhaps Bob D, or Rod McQ to start off with.

L

Linebacker_41

The Cross Country Volley Ball footy shows seem to make good use of personable, presentable and knowledgeable ex-coaches (do any of these exist in Rugbydom?) in their various shows. Some of these are recently retired (or sacked) coaches.

Is there any scope to include Coach on the Fox Rugby panel after the clean out of the current non-swimmers?

Failing that how about a 5-8 minute "Coaches Corner" segment integrated with the Kafe's chalkboard. Too much more than that would be too much.

Not sure who would be the best for this, perhaps Bob D, or Rod McQ to start off with.

HJ - It would be great to here from of the recently retired/out of work coaches, the only problem is IMO they become quite bitter as usually the politics by which they are ousted often over shadows the incredible knowledge that they possess. This bitterness usually blinds to open and fair analysis.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing some regular (not necessarily weekly) segment on refereeing. It might be difficult getting current refs to open up, but former officials might be willing to explain some of the more baffling (to us) decisions we witness and also discuss any possible law changes.
And no, I'm not and never have been a ref.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I acknowledge those points and you are probably 110% correct as it relates to Heavensgame coaches. We do tend to have very long memories and this can colour the comment/analysis.

In CCVB (AFL), sackings seem to be a more readily accepted aspect of the job. Perhaps it is because there are so many of them (18 fully professional franchises), they can readily choose a non-bitter and twisted ex-coach (or coach between stints).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing some regular (not necessarily weekly) segment on refereeing. It might be difficult getting current refs to open up, but former officials might be willing to explain some of the more baffling (to us) decisions we witness and also discuss any possible law changes.

Bingo, and if there was a referee made for television (albeit he never made it beyond park level) it would be Jesus (Costa) Giorgiadis.

art-Gardening-420x0.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
10 to 15 minute you tube clips every couple of weeks showing in depth tactics from a team would be fabulous from G&GR. Similar to what Austin and co. do now, but more depth and longer analyses. Some fancy overlays like Kafer has would be nice though.

Kafer's time is limited, so I don't know how people would expect much more from his segment. I think it's great for the time he has. He normally gives a couple examples, too.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

I think this would be a great addition. I've looked at it from the point of view that it would be good for people from non-rugby backgrounds to have laws of the game explained each week. They could use game footage (& draw on it like Kafes chalkboard to explain offside lines, circle players of interest, etc) or/& demo it on a training ground with the referee explaining the laws as they go.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Absolutely not. As a game we cannot turn against the match officials like the NRL has. Just like professional teams, professional refs also rely on the juniors reffing juniors. If we start analysing referees decisions, less juniors will want to be refs, less juniors games will have referees appointed, and there will be less professional referees. What is the need for referee analysis anyway? All you need to know is that if he has a whistle, he is always right.

If that came across as having struck a nerve, I apologise, I do work as a referee and encourage as many people as possible to get accredited and become a ref.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
#1 Tah. I think it wasn't intended to analyse individual referee decisions per se, but to explain correct referee decisions and the reasons why these were correct. The focus could be on decisions that may confuse those less familiar with the rules.

This segment could also be used to illuminate the effect of Sir Richie's cloak of invisibility, and talk about disturbing trends in the game which will eventually flow from the Sir Richie level down to the juniors at village park level. Example's that spring to mind are the perennial "McCaw is a cheat" issues and the "excessive" cleaning out 5 metres past the breakdown etc.

This demystification of the subtle art of refereeing may actually encourage people to do the course.

Thanks for reminding us all Law 1 of Rugby. The Referee (Sir) is always right.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
p.Tah, I guess you and I don't watch enough rugby?
Ha! I think my wife may disagree, perhaps I'm just shit at watching it

When watching a game at home I'm usually standing ducking and weaving with every turn of the game. I'm yet to drop my shoulder into the TV to help clean out a ruck but it wouldn't surprise me if I did it one day. I think I get a little too engaged during a live game to sit back and analyze it in real time.

Looking forward to G&GRs show.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
I like Kafes contributions. Most of the rest of the panel are like a pack of school bullies who egg each other on with generally parrot puerile nonsense.

There is scope to tweak the format a little but there would be major improvements if there was a clean out of the panel. There is suggestions that Adam Frier should join. That would be a step in the right direction.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
I enjoy Kafe's chalkboard on the Rugby Club. Would anyone else be interested in an entire show on rugby tactics?

Would get very tedious quite quickly and would not be sustainable. Best to leave the tactics and strategy discussions for a weekly segment only.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Absolutely not. As a game we cannot turn against the match officials like the NRL has. Just like professional teams, professional refs also rely on the juniors reffing juniors. If we start analysing referees decisions, less juniors will want to be refs, less juniors games will have referees appointed, and there will be less professional referees. What is the need for referee analysis anyway? All you need to know is that if he has a whistle, he is always right.

If that came across as having struck a nerve, I apologise, I do work as a referee and encourage as many people as possible to get accredited and become a ref.

Sorry #1 Tah, my suggestion was not intended to analyse the performances of refs, but to help more of us understand, (as Hugh Jarse noted) how the rules work, and how decisions are made.
I think many of us, no matter how closely we follow the game, would admit there are things we can still learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.