• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually, Jamie Pandaram is a much better journalist than Growfat. Not much of a comparison, I know.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the article linked above is a FAQ sample of his current writing it appears that I was rather foolish in giving an undertaking not to use this particular journo's outpourings as a basis for my posts. Low hanging fruit there if I ever saw it.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
Nothing ground breaking in this article, but Emma Stoney (NZ) is writing decent articles in the NY Times. This time on Quade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/sports/rugby/13iht-rugby13.html?pagewanted=all

A lot of NZ rugby writers are on the ball - pun intended - not surprisingly about kiwi rugby especially. rugbyheaven.co.nz normally has meaty, comprehensive articles (when they haven't syndicated SMH's that is) Not to keep picking on Growden but his articles nearly always appear unfinished to me. As if he's shrugged his shoulders and mumbled "that'll do" before the final fullstop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not to keep picking on Growden but his articles nearly always appear unfinished to me. As if he's shrugged his shoulders and mumbled "that'll do" before the final fullstop.

At least he has the self realisation to know that most people stop reading halfway through.

He's saving himself and the few readers continuing on to the end some time. If you add that saved time up for a couple of articles a week for most of the year over many years, that's a lot of bonus pies you can eat.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
To quote (my favourite muso) Jarvis Cocker:

Well did you hear, there’s a natural order.
Those most deserving will end up with the most.
That the cream cannot help but always rise up to the top,
Well I say: Shit floats.

Jarvis also pointed out that c*nts are still running the world.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heard today from a usually trusty source that Grumbles is sounding out a gig at Rugby News.

Seems he will start off with a full page piece in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if my source was having a lend of me or not. I hope he was.

It is official. My mate has confirmed that he was taking the piss.

I do note that Grumbles managed to get about a 1/4 page in todays Rugby News under Apology to Mr Greg Growden.

It said " Rugby News Issue 13 contained an item in Barfly Buzz with reference to an identity reported as "Radio" Inadventently, it was stated that "Radio" was an informant to Greg Growden. Without question, this is not the case. Rugby News and the author of Barfly Buzz, Terry Smith, apologise for the error. Any suggestion that "Radio" was not a real person wan nor intended or meant to be implied in any manner. Mr Growden and noted rugby officials have confirmed "Radio" is a real person, whose identity will be revealed in due course. Again our apologies for any inference that may have been taken that created doubt. As stated in the item, he is a real person. Rugby News also apologises to Mr Growden for any inconvenience caused as a result"

This is a little precious for the sloppy pie eating gossipmonger Growfat.

Wonder what sort of apologies and retractions Grumbles would be expecting from Gaggerland.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
❏ Numerous players at an Australian province have told their coach and CEO that if they don't sack the notorious official ''Radio'' and get rid of his mate ''the Wizard'', they will ''go public''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ow-its-done-20120804-23m5t.html#ixzz22c6PVDY6

Anyone know who Radio is? Growden seems to have a small issue with him.

It's Growden's imaginary friend. Un-named sources are ok if you're dealing with the CIA, other than that, you're just writing a gossip column.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is complete speculation, but could Laurie Fisher be The Wizard?

LAURIE%20FISHER.JPG

E.g.

LF2.png