• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New political party like the Lib-Dems

Who would you vote for?

• Coalition

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • ALP

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Centrist Party (in the UK Lib-Dems tradition)

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
How do people feel about a new, centrist political party, maybe led by Turnbull and Rudd, and other politicians too close to the centre to be leaders of either the Coaliiton or ALP?

The unions won't take Rudd, the Christian nutcases won't take Turnbull.

Would you vote for them?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A party genuinely in the centre of the political spectrum or between the ALP and LNP coalition? If the latter, no. If the former, possibly.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well I'm not sure if there is any room between the LNP and ALP. when the Democrats folded I said we'd miss them and we do. Aus politics is worse for their absense

Sent using Tapatalk

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Some answers:

Schad - The Democrats were always an upper house party (keep the bastards honest). The more power they gained the more they got confused.

Cutter - I'm not sure a "true centre" exists.

Sul: There's not much room in between ALP and LNP, but there is a lot of room between Gillard and Abbott, and there was between Howard and Rudd, too. The centre of the ALP has to appease the unions (who perform a useful function in life, but whose leadership are corrupt thugs) and the centre of the LNP has to appease both the Christians and big business.

If we had a Centrist Party, then the centre of that could reflect the centre of the current polity.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Rudd is not the centre, sure he is socially conservative but he is just as fiscally left wing as many in the party's left.

For me personally, I find myself sympathising with people like Turnbull, Bob Carr, Paul Keating, Bob Hawke, George Brandis to name a few. so I am definitely in the centre, I consider myself extremely socially progressive and reasonably fiscally conservative.

But would I like a centre based party? Maybe in the senate like the Democrats as opposed to the radical absolutist Greens. But I like the two party system as it is, and I don't want to see it undermined.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Bob Carr? Clearly you're not from NSW. In his last 5 years he did nothing but keep himself in power. But I take your point.

You're a hard marker if you think Rudd isn't centrist. Both Rudd and Gillard have accepted that we needed to spend our way out of recession and we did that very successfully. I'm sure Rudd would be putting the brakes on now, just like Gillard.

(And I don't know why I'm defending the ALP, they are spineless vote-grubbing no-hopers.)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
P.S. 4 votes and it's one vote in each group. We have a good old fashioned Australian constitutional crisis on our hands.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
I think I read somewhere that every single major Westminster democracy is in a hung parliament. Not sure whether it is correct although at first hearing it, indeed it made sense. The UK, New Zealand, India etc;

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have been going on about this for years. Maybe I might start it one day.

Start a party on the centre-right. Fiscally conservative, socially liberal (but not too liberal).

Take on the big issues- pro gay marriage, pro sensible climate change policy, hard on people smuggling but soft on asylum seekers.

You'd need a figurehead, and frankly Malcolm Turnbull would be perfect. He is at his best when you give him plenty of airtime, yet without the responsibility of leading a huge political party or worrying about internal party politics.

Aim for the balance of power in the senate. Pitch yourselves as 'the Greens for regular people'.

Then once you are in power, slowly begin to fill your pockets with special interest contributions. As the years roll on gradually slide into sweet, sweet corruption. Make your millions then get the hell out. Too easy Campese.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Definitely, I was lamenting to a mate the other night that I feel neither party currently represents my political views. This is probably exacerbated by Tony Abbott being Liberal leader and he currently appears to be fundamentally opposed to compromise on any issue, even when it is in the nations best interest.

The real question is how do we get trust back into a political process. Through the first 60-70 years of the twentieth century, people were willing to trust their political leaders, relying on the fact that they had access to better information used to make decisions. Since technology has taken off and the guy sitting at his computer at home can get real time information about anything and everything, including what is happening on the other side of the planet, there has been a general decline in the public's willingness to place blind faith in their political leaders. This has worsened to the point were the opinion of the majority of the public is that the majority of politicians are self serving incompetents.

I know personally that tax payer funded elections, banning political party donations from companies and limiting personal donations to $100 per annum would go a long way. They also need a mechanism to deal with politicians who may appear to have broken the law. Look at the time frame it has taken to deal with the Craig Thompson affair. I would like to see a policy of something along the line of jury alternates, where each party has a couple of elected members abstaining from voting each time, and if a party member is under a legal cloud and public confidence in them is damaged, they permanently abstain until the issue has been dealt with.

This parliarmentary term has been particularly grubby and the system needs an overhaul if they are to regain public confidence.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Then once you are in power, slowly begin to fill your pockets with special interest contributions. As the years roll on gradually slide into sweet, sweet corruption. Make your millions then get the hell out. Too easy Campese.

God that's disheartening, it seems so plausible.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I doubt it would work as the centre shifts as society changes. Rudd and Turnbull feature in this thread but remember we have had politicians like this in the past like Keating and Frasier for example.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If a centrist part got enough votes, the big guys would have to form a coalition. The Libs might even drop the farmers if they didn't need them.

Anyway, it would make politics a lot more interesting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Another party in the centre could work, but only if they made policy for the good of the country rather than the good of their own political skin.

Not sure if Rudd is centre at all. Lindsay Tanner and Martin Ferguson are two that come to mind to join Turnbull.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I foresee the day that the ALP as we currently know it will split and the left faction will have a genuine coalition with the Greens and the right will stand alone and try and be that middle ground. Much of the "problems" with Labor has been this dichotomous position they have federally when the leader traditionally comes from the right and the deputy from the left. The left are the most vocal internally and the right most vocal externally (ie to the media with leaks etc).

Of course Gillard's takeover changed things - she was from the Victorian left, but her leadership within the party made her the inly viable choice for the overnight "knifing" - but she knows that to remain where she is she has had to pull to the right.

Of course in politics timing is everything, so it would probably take some significant event/saga to see such a split.

Status
Not open for further replies.