• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2012 SF Chiefs v Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surprised no one has started this thread already. Guess it is denial phase while we wake up to the realisation that the 2012 trophy will be going to the Land of the Darkness or Saffers.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Im actually torn on this one. Im a Saders supporter but I lived in the Tron for a few years and developed a soft spot for the Chiefs. They worked so hard this year it'll be great for the province if they finally won a title.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can't wait for the game. No doubt the Chiefs will have learned a little from the last outing.

It will have that added extra with no doubt the AB coaches in the stands watching a few (fringe AB) players closely to see if they will be there for the 4Ns - Messam, Guildford, Crockett, Elliott, Flynn

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

He was great on the weekend. I've always thought he was a bit underrated - not an exceptional player, but makes a lot of really good, physical contributions.

Overall I think the Crusaders should take it, but the Chiefs won't implode at the set piece like they did last time (not with Craig Clarke back) so it should be a bit of an arm wrestle.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Surprised no one has started this thread already. Guess it is denial phase while we wake up to the realisation that the 2012 trophy will be going to the Land of the Darkness or Saffers.

Saffers will choke.

As much as i'd like someone new to win the comp i don't think the Chiefs have it in them this week. Going down in the last 2 rounds may have knocked there confidence but they were great games.

Sharks to hopefully beat Stormers for a final back across the ditch. They are the strongest conference and deserve the title.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Saffers will choke.

As much as i'd like someone new to win the comp i don't think the Chiefs have it in them this week. Going down in the last 2 rounds may have knocked there confidence but they were great games.

Sharks to hopefully beat Stormers for a final back across the ditch. They are the strongest conference and deserve the title.

So if the Sharks travel back to Cape Town, beat the Stormers and travel back to CC and lose to the Saders they have choked?

Tongue in cheek comment or just general bitterness?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So if the Sharks travel back to Cape Town, beat the Stormers and travel back to CC and lose to the Saders they have choked?

Tongue in cheek comment or just general bitterness?

Tongue in cheek.

Definitely not a choke on the Sharks part. They have been playing very well these last 3 weeks and i believe they can win this weekend. If they didn't just do a one week return flight to Brisbane i'd be very confident of there chances. All the pressure this weekend is on the Stormers and Chiefs with the Chiefs in particular in danger of cracking.

That said the Crusaders also haven't been playing there best of late. After they put the Highlanders and Blues away they looked a great bet.

No clear favourite at this stage. Best 4 sides are in the semis and anyone can win it but the Sharks at a big disadvantage due to the travel.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Im actually torn on this one. Im a Saders supporter but I lived in the Tron for a few years and developed a soft spot for the Chiefs. They worked so hard this year it'll be great for the province if they finally won a title.

For a moment there I thought you meant Tron as in the movie Tron :).

The game against the Bulls was not a game I would like to play leading into a final against the Chiefs. Bulls really did not fire a shot. Chiefs will be a big step up from that. I don't buy the idea that they might choke, crack, etc. They def have a team that can take out the title. Crusaders have been a bit up & down this year. If we bring the game we brought to the Clan & the Blues earlier then we def can win.

I'm giving the Chiefs the edge but the Crusaders have a genuine chance to win. I'm betting it will be very tight.

I don't like seeing my team lose but I can't say I'll be mega deflated if the Chiefs win. They have been excellent this year & have really provided me with some great entertaining Rugby.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think that Crusaders have a finals arrogance and confidence built on many years successful campaigns. They have about 3/4 of the all black team.

The Chiefs have been playing attractive rugby all year. Will this flair be enough for a winner take all finals match. I don't think so. I'm going for a close match with the Crusaders taking the victory by 5 points with the main difference being Carters boot.

If Crusaders and Sharks win, the final will be in Christchurch
If Crusaders and Stormer win, it will be in Newlands
If Chiefs and Sharks win it will be Hamilton
If Chiefs and Stormers win, it will be in Newlands.

The best spectacle will be a Newlands final. Worst thing is that it will be in the middle of the night, our time.

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
Normally with Read out I would probably favour the Chiefs, but McCaw has been playing so well the last few weeks it won't matter. Either way, one of the best games this season was their week 20 clash in Waikato, so we are really in for a treat if they can match that effort. Crusaders defence to be the difference, and should sneak into the final by 3.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is there much in the "home ground advantage" in this one? I've noticed that it's not that much talked about in NZ derbies.

The Chiefs haven't looked as good as earlier in the season since the June Test window. I hope the week off hasn't stymied them! Should be a cracker - I'll be tipping the Chiefs but I think the Saders may be a bit to good.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
This game should be a cracker, but Crusaders, even sans Read, appear to be firing on all cylinders.
Crusader to sneak in by 3.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Yea cant see the Village of the Damned messing this up, saders by 5.

Pity though chiefs deserve it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was great on the weekend. I've always thought he was a bit underrated - not an exceptional player, but makes a lot of really good, physical contributions.

I have the opposite opinion, he seems to be the weak link the Crusaders. He cost them the grand final no doubt about it.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I have the opposite opinion, he seems to be the weak link the Crusaders. He cost them the grand final no doubt about it.

I'll freely admit he's had some pretty visible shockers, but he's also had a lot of really solid games. You can be the weak link in the Crusaders without being particularly bad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Crusaders: Wyatt Crockett, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Samuel Whitelock, George Whitelock, Matt Todd, Richie McCaw (c), Andy Ellis, Dan Carter (vc), Zac Guildford, Ryan Crotty, Robbie Fruean, Adam Whitelock, Israel Dagg.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Tom Donnelly, Luke Whitelock, Willi Heinz, Tom Taylor, Sean Maitland.

Chiefs: Robbie Robinson, Tim Nanai-Williams, Andrew Horrell, Sonny Bill Williams, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Kane Thompson, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Craig Clarke (c), Ben Tameifuna, Mahonri Schwalger, Sona Taumalolo.
Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Afeaki, Mike Fitzgerald, Sam Cane, Brendon Leonard, Jackson Willison, Lelia Masaga

Sam Cane benched for Tanerau Latimer.

Only 3 Whitelocks in the Run on side for the Crusaders.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
:( Hell HG fancy only having 3 Whitelocks, there must be a conspiracy;)

They still haven't had all four on at the same time if I'm not mistaken.

This is a tough one to pick, Carter isn't the same goal kicker he was four of five years ago, so I wouldn't rely on him for that. He has added the drop goal to his repertoire but Cruden can as well. Joubert might let a lot go in this one but I don't know if that will benefit either side, the Crusaders are master infringers and the Chiefs are not bad either (through Messam). Could go either way this one. Can't wait.

I also assumed this game was on tomorrow but found out an hour ago it's on today, fkn beautiful.

I hope the Chiefs win btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.