• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IS OUR GAME GROWING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, but the whole gym culture has changed things substantially.
In the good old days, people didn't train in the off season.
Now people just train in a gym for it's own sake. Not specifically for a particular sport.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One wonders how believable the SJRU player number figures are then.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there are a large number of ghost players in the SJRU Under 16's competition, who are registered with clubs but do not play weekend club footy. They just front up at State Championships, to get a second go at U16 rep selection for Nationals. Been happening for many years, will continue to happen unless there is structural change.

P

PDivvy

Number of people playing rugby in a country does not equal better success on the pitch. The style you play and the players you select to play that way do. Australia and NZ do not have huge totals of people playing rugby but they been at the top of the rankings or there about for decades now. Unfortunately the IRB has noticed that most tries are being scored from counter attacks. That is what they strive for. So teams trying to keep the ball and try to beat the defense with quick ball and a lot of phases are not going to steal the number 1 spot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AFL have been found cooking the books again regarding player numbers in West Sydney.

Well known investigative journalist Roy Masters has siezed upon a report from David Lawson, a Melbourne Uni academic, which was commissioned by the NSW/ACT AFL.

Quoting directly from the report and the Masters article:

"The reality is that junior club maturity and participation numbers appear to have stalled. There are 6 per cent less junior/youth players in 2012 than in 2009. The perception, however, is that the game is growing well. This perception is supported by masking low junior club numbers with Auskick numbers (Club, School and Community Auskick) and school program numbers.
"This optimistic, bullish perception is needed to market the game. However, this perception urgently needs to be underpinned by committed junior club participants.

"In the chase for participant numbers in NSW and ACT, a shortened and often subsidised version of Auskick has been aggressively rolled out in primary schools (In-School Auskick) and after-school centres (Community Auskick) … Junior club feedback has indicated that the In-School and Community versions have, at times, harmed Club Auskick.

"Soccer, rugby league and rugby union introductory programs essentially comprise modified games whereas Auskick centres concentrate on skill acquisition drills. Interviews and surveys have suggested that in Sydney there is a preference for more game-based activities to complement skill-based content."

While AFL NSW's Dean Connors apparently claims that Australian football participation in Western Sydney had risen 27 per cent this year from 28,306 in 2011 to 36,000 to 37,000 participants.

According to the AFL NSW/ACT report, playing numbers in junior Australian football across all of Sydney last year was only 7694. Participant is defined as "no-less-than-six-weeks paying customer", Both parties used that definition to come up with their numbers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/auskick-putting-sydney-kids-off-20121023-283ge.html#ixzz2AGu3k7QE

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
AFL have been found cooking the books again regarding player numbers in West Sydney.

Well known investigative journalist Roy Masters has siezed upon a report from David Lawson, a Melbourne Uni academic, which was commissioned by the NSW/ACT AFL.

Quoting directly from the report and the Masters article:

"The reality is that junior club maturity and participation numbers appear to have stalled. There are 6 per cent less junior/youth players in 2012 than in 2009. The perception, however, is that the game is growing well. This perception is supported by masking low junior club numbers with Auskick numbers (Club, School and Community Auskick) and school program numbers.
"This optimistic, bullish perception is needed to market the game. However, this perception urgently needs to be underpinned by committed junior club participants.

"In the chase for participant numbers in NSW and ACT, a shortened and often subsidised version of Auskick has been aggressively rolled out in primary schools (In-School Auskick) and after-school centres (Community Auskick) … Junior club feedback has indicated that the In-School and Community versions have, at times, harmed Club Auskick.

"Soccer, rugby league and rugby union introductory programs essentially comprise modified games whereas Auskick centres concentrate on skill acquisition drills. Interviews and surveys have suggested that in Sydney there is a preference for more game-based activities to complement skill-based content."

While AFL NSW's Dean Connors apparently claims that Australian football participation in Western Sydney had risen 27 per cent this year from 28,306 in 2011 to 36,000 to 37,000 participants.

According to the AFL NSW/ACT report, playing numbers in junior Australian football across all of Sydney last year was only 7694. Participant is defined as "no-less-than-six-weeks paying customer", Both parties used that definition to come up with their numbers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/auskick-putting-sydney-kids-off-20121023-283ge.html#ixzz2AGu3k7QE

Also, from my understanding the AFL classify Sydney as the region spanning from the Northern most tip of the Hunter to the Southern most tip of the Illawarra, as far south as Nowra. When you put into that context the game hasn't grown much at all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Roy probably has an agenda, and he may have been selective in the quotes he extracted from the NSW/ACT AFL report.

Assuming that he has not misquoted from the AFL report, the words in my previous post in blue italics are all the words of David Lawson from Melbourne University, and not Roy Monsters.

AFL is trying to spread North into NSW like the similarly vile and insidious plague of cane toads spreading South into NSW. The difference being the colonisation by cane toads is real and not based on lies and damned lies and statistics.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually, I don't particularly mind the AFL infiltration. It gets up the noses of the mungoes, so it must be a good thing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Actually, I don't particularly mind the AFL infiltration. It gets up the noses of the mungoes, so it must be a good thing.

I don't get the whole, infiltration thing. AFL football has been an option at particularly primary school students for quite a long time now. Hasn't had an effect in that time and it's unlikely it would now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A rather senior administrator from Parramatta Two Blues has just joined Gaggerland.

He has a slightly different view in relation to record numbers based on the figures from within his district. Some comments from the Waratahs thread.

we lost Rooty Hill and Hawkesbury to Penrith. So the figures include those as well, however registrations were alarmingly down from 2011. Gimme a day or two and I'll get the figures for you
we're down 34% from last year including the two clubs who deserted us.
Thanks Hugh.

As mentioned above, I'd be surprised if he plays even 1 game. Probably 1 minute to be frank for a Shute Shield club. But that's not really the point is it. I made mention above of my thoughtss, probably as you were typing your post.

The fact is, with Sydney Juniors killing off saturday rugby, despite what some people have referred to as anecdotal evidence, the fact is that registration numbers in our District have dropped off by more than 20% this year.

They have the opportunity to get into the race for the hearts and minds of the kids in the biggest population area in the state and certainly the fastest growing. I bet they miss the boat!

And I bet they play a dead bat on it and roll out the old chestnut ' we don't tell players which club to join'.

Worked for Jake White and it would work for IF

I am inclined to believe the figures being reported from the GM of Parramatta Club over those from a bureaucrat in ARU.

B

BellyTwoBlues

No disrespect to BTB or you HJ but there is more to Australia than just the Parramatta district ;)

Couldn't agree more. I don't recall saying there wasn't.

There's a lot that needs addressing in our game, and unfortunately, with what will be announced in the coming days, the leadership in the game prefers to bury it's head in the sand rather than develop and grow the game in 'non-traditional' regions.

Our game has not progressed since the 2003 RWC. In terms of performance of the national team and the performance of the professional administrators

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No disrespect to BTB or you HJ but there is more to Australia than just the Parramatta district ;)
While what you say is literally true it's kind of like saying to someone with heart disease there's more to life than your heart: its literally true, but if you don't address it the literal truth becomes merely an epitaph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
BTB and IS, i agree.
However I do think the ARUs figures are impressive, but as someone who was born and bred in Parramatta I certainly agree more needs to be done in Western Sydney.

T

TOCC

Parramatta mightn't have had a great year, but there is evidence of significant growth at grassroots in other regions...

Grassroots across Australia is the "heart", not just Parra. I do hope it improves out there though.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
While what you say is literally true it's kind of like saying to someone with heart disease there's more to life than your heart: its literally true, but if you don't address it the literal truth becomes merely an epitaph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you saying that if parramatta fails, then the rest of Australia will ultimately fail as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.