• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
1.OK folks, here are the rankings in other formats.....unsure if Scots scored 4 tries, the only change would be they are only on 12 pts in Super Rugby format. Cheers

Super Rugby:

1. Newington..14
2. Shore..13
3. Scots..13
4. Iggies..6
5. Kings..6
6. Joeys..4
7. Grammar..0

Top 14 (the best I reckon):
1. Newington..14
2. Shore..13
3. Scots..12
4. Iggies..6
5. Kings..5
6. Joeys..4
7. Grammar..0

Boring old AAGPS:

=1. Newington..6
=1. Shore..6
=1. Scots..6
=4. Iggies..2
=4. Kings..2
=2. Joeys..2
7. Grammar..0

R

Ralph Edwards

unfortunately with Gorry suffering a disabling late tackle and Krempff also coming off, Grammar couldn't keep up with Shore for the rest of the game. However they didn't give up and kept the scoreline very respectable.

The play off the kick-off from Shore's first try, with Penklis regaining the Grammar kick, was especially beautiful, and it was sad to see it end with Gorry leaving the field.

I do not usually watch grammar - shore games for obvious reasons, but today I was blown away by Antonio Penkliso's amazing run down the sideline. I thought that he was truly inspirational for a Grammar squad, who should be proud of their performance against our outstanding shore squad. However, I think that Shore is just too dominant for Grammar this year. Shore may even better Grammar in the HSC this year, according to reliable sources...

M

McLovin

Yes, Penklis was impressive today, ran the ball very well and hit hard- most notable hit of the game being on teammate gorry as he was being monstered by #8 Callum "wears boatshoes to GPS cricket trials coz he thinks he's already made the team" Buckling.
Gorry's head was up in the clouds even before he boarded the chinook bound for the e.r.

For Shore, Pulver was explosive from behind the ruck and was all over Grammar's half-back, the Shore wingers were quick and made light work of the Grammar defense when the ball got out to them.
A decent effort though by Grammar who are suffering from injury tolls, several out due to dislocated joints and several more out due to their imminent trial exams.

After watching the Newington-Grammar game a few weeks ago, it was a pleasant change to recognise a few faces in the opposition from having played them in previous years, rather than from seeing them play for various NRL development squads.

Shore may even better Grammar in the HSC this year, according to reliable sources.

I have also heard whispers regarding several of the GPS schools' results improving- not that that's saying much for some, rumour has it that getting 5 boys over 90 in English would be classified as an improvement at Scots...

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Newington overpower Joeys 29-13 in a tale of two halves at Stanmore

A tale of two halves in a fierce gale at Stanmore this afternoon saw Newington overcome a 13-5 halftime deficit to ultimately record a comfortable victory against Joeys.

A huge southerly gale greeted both teams at kickoff interspersed with occasional light rain. Joeys had the benefit of the blustery breeze in the first stanza and used it to their advantage with some astute kicking from fly half Andrew Deegan and fullback Josh Kay seeing most of the half played at Newington’s end of the field.

Two early penalties from Kay had Joeys skipping out to a 6-0 lead. Midway through the half their lead was extended to 11-0 after winger Josh Wilde scored following some fine lead up work by prop Tom Robertson who lead a raid down the short side breaking a couple of tackles before offloading to hooker Ben Carolan who then set up Wilde’s easy run to the line. Kay’s conversion saw Newington looking at a 0-13 scoreboard on their home turf.

Joeys smaller forwards clearly had the upper hand for the majority of the first half resulting in Newington having limited possession and this consequently saw them struggle to get into the game. The momentum started to shift late in the half when Newington’s monster pack finally stirred from their slumber lead by flanker David Morris and No 8 Lachlan Cannell. Centre Tepai Moeroa was denied a great individual try after a line busting run due to some desperate Joey’s defence which resulted in him being held up over the line. Shortly afterwards Newington’s late half momentum was rewarded when winger Alex Vlahos scored after some fine work from Taan Milne, who whilst being named at left wing spent the majority of the game in the centres and otherwise seemed to have a roving commission to bob up wherever he pleased which he did regularly to Newington’s benefit.

Despite the home team’s late first half try Joeys looked to still looked to be in command at the break however this soon changed early in the second half when Newington fullback Matthew Hood made a superb solo run from deep in his own half after fielding a Joeys kick. After crossing halfway he kicked intelligently ahead for his winger Vlahos who won the race to the ball to score his second try. Joey Lussick’s conversion had them right back in it at 13-12 and his successful penalty kick a few minutes later saw Newington ahead for the first time in the match 15-13 and it was game on.

Oscar Pryor-Lee’s was by his standards very subdued in the first half but he got right into the thick of it in the second with the big Newington prop throwing himself into the rucks with great gusto. No 8 Cannell was rewarded for his very industrious game with a try following a very great surging run from about 15m out. Lussick’s conversion had Newington looking good at 22-13 with about 20 minutes left on the clock. Whilst Joeys kicking game was excellent in the first half, it well and truly deserted them in the second with numerous miss kicks with penalties and in general play frittering away both possession and field position. Whilst it was undoubtedly difficult kicking into such a strong wind Joeys should have done better. Lussick on the other hand kicked superbly with the wind at his back and kept the pressure right on Joeys.

The ascendancy of the Newington forwards continued throughout the second half but a couple of their Joeys counterparts seemed to wilter against the bigger Newington forwards as the game wore on. The hard running and strong rucking from Newington’s big boys was rewarded when captain and hooker Tevita Vea scored wide out on the left side of the field. Lussick’s conversion from the sideline across the huge wind was a beauty and the scoreboard ticked over to 29-13 where it remained until full time was blown several minutes later.

Joeys won the scrum contest 10-5 including one against the feed. Robertson dominated Newington’s big tight head Will Ahosivi who at times also struggled to get around the field and would do well to shed a few kilos to improve his mobility. Conversely Pryor-Lees got the better of Joey’s Matt Sandell at the engagement but Sandell more than made up for it though with his high work rate and tireless effort around the paddock.

Joeys also won the penalty count 11-7 with the lineout contest being pretty even on what was a horrible day for the respective throwers in the big wind.

Newington’s third win on the trot sees them nicely placed at the top of the GPS ladder on 6 points along with Scots and Shore who have both already had their byes. Joeys second loss in a row probably puts an end to their season unless there are a number of upsets in coming weeks.

Joey’s scored late in the Seconds game to get up 15-13 over Newintgton’s seconds and it was surprising to see some of the names of the players in the seconds turning out for their respective sides – Prassas, Vasillis and Pople for Newington and Hardy and Penissi for Joeys.

NEWINGTON 29 (Vlahos 2, Cannell and Vea tries, Lussick 3 conv & 1pen) defeated JOEYS 13 (Newsome try, Kay 2 pen, 1conv)

R

Ralph Edwards

A decent effort though by Grammar who are suffering from injury tolls, several out due to dislocated joints and several more out due to their imminent trial exams.

I have also heard whispers regarding several of the GPS schools' results improving- not that that's saying much for some, rumour has it that getting 5 boys over 90 in English would be classified as an improvement at Scots.

I have heard from a couple of my reliable sources that Scots is looking to import some high academic achievers from other GPS schools, specifically Grammar.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Shore 36 - Grammar 7 after Grammar scored first. Haven't heard much but apparently was a fairly scrappy game. Can anyone comment further?

Given the scores of the rounds, with two points awarded for a win (and no bonus points), the table is as follows:

Newington - 6
Shore - 6
Scots - 6
Joeys - 2
Kings - 2
Riverview - 2
Grammar - 0
Thanks Michael,
I've updated the table on our Schoolboy Rugby page

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Newington overpower Joeys 29-13 in a tale of two halves at Stanmore.

NEWINGTON 29 (Vlahos 2, Cannell and Vea tries, Lussick 3 conv & 1pen) defeated JOEYS 13 (Newsome try, Kay 2 pen, 1conv)

Excellent report "scribe"! Sorry I couldn't be there to contribute but I tip my lid to your effort! :). The journalistic career of Wreckless could be over!!!!

G

GPSScullingChampion

As a proud supporter of the SGS boatshed I thought I would come and support the rugby boys today as the rowing season doesn't run during winter, you see. I was very enthusiastic and vocal as they endeavoured to put their first points on the board and consequently I was ecstatic when they scored the first try. Good first 500m boys! The middle 1k was less impressive, however, as they dropped their split significantly, and despite a desperate attempt to raise the stroke rate by that phenomenal young talent Anthony Penklis by concussing his own number 5 it was obvious the tank had run dry and a schloppy last 500 ensued.
Nevertheless a fantastic effort and improvement, and I am sure that the Grammar rugby will provide me with adequate entertainment until the rowing begins again!!

G

G&GR News Bot

Last year’s champions downed in a confident display of running rugby from Scots in blustery conditions: After notching their biggest win in years, Scots must now be the front-runners to win the 2012 GPS. The boys from Bellevue Hill, piped with Scotland the Brave onto Riverview’s No. 1 Oval under dark and brooding skies to

Click this link to read the full article...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
and several more out due to their imminent trial exams.
In the 1sts?
Is this an informed statement?
If so.....well I think my reaction would be well known.
But I would add that this approach is not consistent with wishing to be competitive and to be seen as wishing to be competitive.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
. The momentum started to shift late in the half when Newington’s monster pack finally stirred from their slumber......

The ascendancy of the Newington forwards continued throughout the second half but a couple of their Joeys counterparts seemed to wilter against the bigger Newington forwards as the game wore on.
Big is obviously better especially if it has skill as well.

Joeys seemingly suffered the same fate as Kings did last week with a lack of size in their forwards against the New behemoths!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A good big bloke will always beat a good small bloke.
Nonetheless the Joeys formula (allowing for the fact that I rarely see them play anyone but Grammar) of recent times has been to pick a mobile pack that runs the bigger teams ragged. This may not be sustainable in circumstances where you have big players against you all across the park (as New do) and those big backs are ready willing and able to work at the breakdown - as i expect New's are.
Interested to hear thoughts: Joeys may need to revisit their tried and true model in the near future.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Excellent report "scribe"! Sorry I couldn't be there to contribute but I tip my lid to your effort! :). The journalistic career of Wreckless could be over!!!!

Wreckless out of interest how many of New's firsts are in years 10 or 11 this year?

I understood that they were planning for a premiership in 2013 being their Sesquicentenary year but it seems that it might be arriving a year earlier!!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
A good big bloke will always beat a good small bloke...
Nonetheless the Joeys formula of recent times has been to pick a mobile pack that runs the bigger teams ragged. ..
Joeys may need to revisit their tried and true model in the near future.

If Joeys results in recent years are any guide I think that you are undoubtedly on the right track with your thoughts.

Scots and Kings have lighter mobile packs and both have talent laden backlines but on results to date one is firing but the other is not?

Big packs need backs that can take advantage of the platform laid for them and New has these. The next biggest pack in GPS at the moment is Views - sadly they don't have the artillery out wide to take advantage of what their forwards provide.

Based on the above you'd have to think that New will probably prevail against Scots next Saturday. (I know that Scots beat New in a trial at Newington but then again Kings flogged Scots in a trial at Scots but that's meant diddly squat in the GPS comp games)

Tom Burke

Bob McCowan (2)
With the loss to Newington yesterday, I am of the opinion that some sort of change must occur at St. Joseph's if they wish to return to their glory days. It has now been 5 years without the shield for them (assuming that they are no longer a chance of winning), which equals their longest run without a premiership. I am of the opinion that they must begin to treat 1st XV rugby as semi-professional, rather than amateur, like the other GPS schools who wish to compete in the 1st XV have. I am alos of the opinion that it may be time for Br Anthony Boyd to move on, possibly into a more managerial position, if not completely out of the fray. They have such potential as far as coaching staff goes with Jeremy Ticehurst and AJ Whalley there, who lead the team so well in the absence of Br Boyd, winning all of their games whilst Br Boyd was on leave. I have to say, it really is such a pity to see a team with so much potential shown at the start of the season, and in parts of the season, to under perform and/or employ tactics that don't (such as mindless kicking yesterday, and repeatedly picking and driving into a solid defensive line with no ground gained against Scots last week). If Joeys are any chance of breaking their drought and not creating history for all the wrong reasons, especially next year with Newington's so called "Dream Team", change is a must.

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tom, the implication of that is that Joeys formally join the nuclear arms race. I'm not sure that is going to happen and, in any event, we will all be dead before anybody can boast a comparable legacy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Tom, the implication of that is that Joeys formally join the nuclear arms race. I'm not sure that is going to happen and, in any event, we will all be dead before anybody can boast a comparable legacy.
Gentlemen: my prediction was that the next school to feel the pinch of the arms race would be shore. I beginning to think it might be Joeys.
If it is Joeys then it may cause everyone to take stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.