• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Be very difficult to win without Pocock.

He is one of the few players that genuinely worry the All blacks.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bring on Gill if Pocock is out.
I'm with Waylon If (and that's a big if) Deans picks the right team we could cause a boil over. If they get off the line quicker in defence & play a more positive/attacking backline I think we could do it.
Some players will be forgiven for last night some won't.

Our scrum & lineout went well but they need up the tempo at lineout time. Often the All Blacks were throwing in & we hadn't even got set so we need to pressure their ball.

1.Robinson
2.TPN
3.kepu
4.Timani
5.sharpe
6.Dennis
7. Pocock (Gill)
8.Higgers
9.genia
10. Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Barnes
13.Horne
14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.Beale

Res, Moore, Slipper, Simmons, Gill (Hooper), Phipps, Fainga'a, Mitchell

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not buying the 'AB players are just too much better, don't sweat it' argument sorry Damo.

The issues last night were mainly from core players playing terrible rugby. Beale last night made Guildford look good in last years Bled 2 and Beale is 10 x the player Guildford is. Our front five lacked pace. Our backrow looked lost.

The AB defense was superb, it just doesn't explain the sheer weight of basic errors, or the lack of cohesive punch from our forwards.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
In the forwards, the balance is way out. Too many players who don't play tight enough in TPN, Sharpe, Timani, and Higgers.

I'd change the following in the forwards:
1. Robinson out, he is way out of form and seriously struggling. He was walking within the first quarter of the game. A shadow of the player he was a few years ago. Slipper in, he was much more noticeable and effective around the rucks.

2. TPN to bench, Moore starting. TPN still way out of form, made no impact, work rate too low. Moore looked more desperate when he came on, including diving on the ball off a kick off by forcing Richie out of the way, and he was much more noticeable about the rucks.

4. Timani out, for Douglas. Two non-tight locks, just no. So you have the choice of Sharpe or Timani, and Sharpe is the hands down choice. Whilst Timani did better than I thought, it merely meant he was poor to average instead od shocking to poor. His work rate just isn't good enough for a test lock, he tends to let himself drift into the midfield way too much.

6/8. Who have we got? Not sure if anyone in the squad would add to these sadly. Higgers still too loose, and was too error prone. Dennis was ineffectual and was walking after about 25 minutes from a scrum, a serious embarrassment for a test loosie. Mowen might have been interesting as a Dennis alternative being similar, but is not in the squad. Hopefully a fit Palu can return soon.

10. Bring in Cooper, Barnes moved to 12.

12. Barnes in for A. Finger, who goes to the bench. Samo out.

I would consider moving or dropping AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but he isn't in good form, and frankly, Mitchell looked unfit and out of shape in his games for the Tahs. No real wing options, sadly.

Beale gets a reprieve, but another poor showing means he should get dropped to play for some form in club rugby.

If Pocock is gone, we are really screwed. Hooper in, maybe Schatz to the bench?

I expect Deans to do none of this. But I don't get how anyone can field such an unbalanced, unfit and/or out of form pack.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Most were surprised when Samo was selected in the squad. Even more were taken aback when he was selected in the 22. I have to give it to Deans here, he needed experience and grunt with Horwill and Palu out and Samo gave him both.
I would keep Samo there until Palu returns. He did not take a backward step when he came on and he has the capacity to do special things, as we saw last year.

J

Jiggles

1. Holmes
2. Moore
3. Kepu - Because he can't play LHP and therefore not a valid bench choice.
4. Fardy
5. Sharpe
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham

16. TPN 17. Slipper 18. AWH 19. Mowen

Thats the pack I would like to see, but pigs may fly. If Palmer was fit, he would be in and Kepu wouldn't be in the 22. If Horwill was fit, he and Pyle would come into the pack and Fardy would move onto the bench. I think the backrow is the right one, and was really let down by the tight 5 last night, which I mentioned on the game thread. These options just do way more around the park, show more urgency, and are fit. That was the difference between the two teams last night. Whats the point of picking 5 bench forwards if you aren't going to use them all with 20 to spare, hence my 4/3 split.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Most were surprised when Samo was selected in the squad. Even more were taken aback when he was selected in the 22. I have to give it to Deans here, he needed experience and grunt with Horwill and Palu out and Samo gave him both.
I would keep Samo there until Palu returns. He did not take a backward step when he came on and he has the capacity to do special things, as we saw last year.
I thought he was fucking useless when he came on. He should not be picked at all. Shatz, Mowen and a fit McCalman all better players then he is.

J

Jiggles

Fardy is having a shoulder op now so he won't be available...

He'd probably offer more around the park with his shoulder in a sling than the incumbents. Not sure Douglas is the option either, he is just as unfit as the other tah players in this pack.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
McCalman is just coming back from injury, I assume he would have played a full game yesterday? He had 35 minutes against the Woodies the week before. Did okay.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Sharpe
6. Schatz
7. Pocock (Hooper)
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

16. TPN 17. Robinson 18. Simmons 19. Dennis 20. Lucas 21. Horne 22. Shipperly

P

Paradox

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Sharpe
6. Schatz
7. Pocock (Hooper)
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

16. TPN 17. Robinson 18. Simmons 19. Dennis 20. Lucas 21. Horne 22. Shipperly
Good pick except Mitchell is probably still underdone. Are Cummins/Shipperly in the squad?

Reactions: HG
W

Waylon

I would give Shipperley a shot. He is fast. Wingers need to be fast and know where the try line is. Shipperly is a superb athlete and he is quick...real quick.

Cummins has scored as many tries as he has played seasons. ie he averages about 1-2 tries per super rugby season. he just doesn't score tries. I don't rate him although his hair is lovely

Waylons backline to take the allblacks apart

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Shipperly
12. Barnes
13. Ioane
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

bench
Beale
A. Fainga'a

You can make an argument for Beale but I think he is a liability at 15 because he is dodgy as under the high ball and can't tackle to save himself. He will let in 2 tries every game by missing tackles he should make or dropping kicks

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Waylons backline to take the allblacks apart

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Shipperly
12. Barnes
13. Ioane
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I can see a big hole right in the middle there for the All Blacks to run through.........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pocock to see a surgeon in the morning about his knee injury.

Apparently it occurred in the first half. Hooper played zero minutes....

Status
Not open for further replies.