• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hears an idea. Keep the GPS season as either a 6 or 7 team comp (depending on what SGS decide to do) but instead of the trial games in term 2 make two new comps all together. A northern schools comp where schools like Joeys, Riverview, Kings, Shore, Barker, Knox, Aloys, Augstines, Oakhill and Pius play eachother and a southern comp with teams like Newington, Scots, Waverly, Trinity, Cranbrook, St Pats, St Andrews play eachother. Winners could even play off in a super bowl like game. That way you keep the tradition of the GPS and CAS comps and get more quality games for the ISA schools. Of course youll have to get the CAS comp to shorten itself and many teams may choose to rest players or say no all together to keep players fit for the traditional season but its a better and more realistic idea then getting rid of them all together !

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Dear Wowsah, just went back and read your reply and you're right.how we got into that slanging match is beyond me.i might be becoming sensitive in my old age..i apologise

No harm done. Cheers for being a good sport. I'll delete my responses to your posts with the aim of removing what was essentially an unnecessary argument on both parts.

Good to see you two have kissed and made up! Big of both of you - robust discussion is good and as we all know a lot can be misinterpreted on screen without the benefit of seeing the other party and their expressions/reactions etc. Looking forward to your continued input! Cheers, Wreckless :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hears an idea. Keep the GPS season as either a 6 or 7 team comp (depending on what SGS decide to do) but instead of the trial games in term 2 make two new comps all together. A northern schools comp where schools like Joeys, Riverview, Kings, Shore, Barker, Knox, Aloys, Augstines, Oakhill and Pius play eachother and a southern comp with teams like Newington, Scots, Waverly, Trinity, Cranbrook, St Pats, St Andrews play eachother. Winners could even play off in a super bowl like game. That way you keep the tradition of the GPS and CAS comps and get more quality games for the ISA schools. Of course youll have to get the CAS comp to shorten itself and many teams may choose to rest players or say no all together to keep players fit for the traditional season but its a better and more realistic idea then getting rid of them all together !
Could we have a combined team or teams of kids from schools (public + private) who aren't up to the standard?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Just read Fred Clark's report from Saturday's Shore vs. Scots fixture, what a load of crap. While Scots were indeed dominant across the park, to say that they demonstrated discipline is rubbish. Scots continually infringed at the ruck with many players off their feet using hands, and were warned twice by the referee. This denied the Shore lads any clean ball and resulted in countless turnovers. The referee failed to create an even contest and allowed the Scots boys to get away with murder at the breakdown! The two yellow cards came to far too late. Hardly "demonstrating immense discipline" with 10 penalties against Scots in the 2nd half.

[taken from Shore v Scots thread]

Gents, the ref was fine (even watching through the cloud dust).

The repeated penalties were getting too much. Scots the previous week were grumbling about the New boys leaving their feet and sealing off the ball yet learnt so well they themselves were guilty of this a week later. I understand that the Scots team mgt were so incensed by the ref in the New game that they sent a tape to Moore Park! (what next a QC (Quade Cooper) on their payroll). There must be something up with the coaching when a team gets penalised big time 2 weeks in a row.

The ref penalised Scots in the Shore game approx 5 times in the red zone before going to his pocket. He managed this correctly with 2 cautions to the captain along the way. If he didn't then use cards then he would have been negligent.

Teams should focus on their own games and not the ref.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
like a northern public schools and southern public schools rep team ?
Well, given my allegiance, I dont want to cut the private schools out of contributing to this team - the difficulty would be in making sure they weren't "too good": I dont actually think this would be a problem because I have been mightily impressed with the quality of the schoolboy teams I have seen this season in the GPS.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
More of the same this week from The Bye?

As well as the poor form to date from The Bye, I think that View will use their home ground advantage to good effect and are at unbackable odds to come away with the competition points.

Looking across the rest of the grades, realistically The Bye will be on the wrong side of the ledger in all grades.

Will you be following The Bye this week over at View, or back to Stanmore for New v Shore?

HJ - Like many, I find that The Bye simply does not have the "crowd pulling" factor going for them! Crowds this year have voted with their feet and deserted The Bye in droves! Though very consistent ( you know what you're going to get! ), and as you and Barbarian have pointed out, disciplined - The Bye have failed to excite!

Cheers, Wreckless :)

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Could we have a combined team or teams of kids from schools (public + private) who aren't up to the standard?

Alternatively, have a conference system as employed in several sports. That is; GPS/CAS/ISA/CCC etc requiring Athletics to revert back to late Term 3 to be common to other conferences. After each conference has their own season we THEN have a playoff between all conferences in Term 3. This will generate huge interest. And this way the OBs get their insular comp and the rugby supporter get their quality rugby.

ps 1: Aust schools will need to cancel their selection trials in May/June.
ps 2: Just sit back and watch the scholarships fly after the first season starts!

B

BKR4

[taken from Shore v Scots thread]

Gents, the ref was fine (even watching through the cloud dust).

The repeated penalties were getting too much. Scots the previous week were grumbling about the New boys leaving their feet and sealing off the ball yet learnt so well they themselves were guilty of this a week later. I understand that the Scots team mgt were so incensed by the ref in the New game that they sent a tape to Moore Park! (what next a QC (Quade Cooper) on their payroll). There must be something up with the coaching when a team gets penalised big time 2 weeks in a row.

The ref penalised Scots in the Shore game approx 5 times in the red zone before going to his pocket. He managed this correctly with 2 cautions to the captain along the way. If he didn't then use cards then he would have been negligent.

Teams should focus on their own games and not the ref.
He used the cards with 8 minutes to go, the damage had already been done, and also missed another 4 penalties in the red zone. I'm focusing on the game and it was hard for Shore to gain any momentum and keep the ball in hand when Scots killed the ruck, particularly in attack during the second half.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Alternatively, have a conference system as employed in several sports. That is; GPS/CAS/ISA/CCC etc requiring Athletics to revert back to late Term 3 to be common to other conferences. After each conference has their own season we THEN have a playoff between all conferences in Term 3. This will generate huge interest. And this way the OBs get their insular comp and the rugby supporter get their quality rugby.

ps 1: Aust schools will need to cancel their selection trials in May/June.
ps 2: Just sit back and watch the scholarships fly after the first season starts!

Doesn't address my concern: there are a few schools who are probably not up to standing alone in 1st XV.

W

Wowsah

For shore, I noticed lhp Robertson sent on in 1's late in the game, heavily strapped ankle and all. Is this an indication of his return? I watched him in the 2's and you would surely have to play him against newington. He was all over the park, seemed to be in everything. I'd really like to see this kid play a full match again at the top. Any word on whether this is likely?

Nd finally, Seamus Frost. That kid blew me away on the weekend. What a talent.

FootyForever

Stan Wickham (3)

Doesn't address my concern: there are a few schools who are probably not up to standing alone in 1st XV.

Personally, I would really like to see something along the lines of this occurring in the near future. Each conference (GPS, CAS, ISA, CCC) conducting their own competition with an consistent, adequate point system that allows outright winners, rather that 3-4 way ties. As well as allowing teams the ability to play each other twice. This than allows say, 2 teams from each conference the opportunity to play an finals/playoff series.

In regard to IS's concern, each competition could potentially 'lower' teams that they do not deem as capable of competing within their competition (Example: SGS, SBH, TAS), into a separate conference, in addition to the original four. This could potentially allow for the improvement of some lower schools rugby to eventually be able to compete at the finals/playoff end of the series. Obviously, it could go the opposite way, and further degrade the standard of rugby. Yet, I do believe that it would increase the standard as it allows proper competition to occur, rather than the 100-0 games of certain teams at the moment.

For example, say there are roughly 20 weeks within the Winter Schoolboy competition at the moment. I am not as educated about the number of other schools in various competitions, but I am going to use the GPS competition as an example. Take into consideration that I have not included TAS, SGS and SBH as in my opinion they would be in the 'lower' competition, that I proposed above. This leaves 6 teams, playing each other twice, therefore 12 rounds. Anyway, the season would be as follows:

Term 2
Week 1 - 2: Internal Rugby Trials for Schools.
Week 3 - 5: Trial Games with GPS, CAS, ISA and CCC schools.
Week 6 - 10: Round 1 - 5 GPS Competition

Term 3
Week 1 - 7: Round 6 - 12 GPS Competition
Week 8 - 10: Conference Finals (Quarter's, Semi's, Grand Final)

Take Note: I do not mean to offend anyone, regarding the rankings of teams.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
More of the same this week from The Bye?

As well as the poor form to date from The Bye, I think that View will use their home ground advantage to good effect and are at unbackable odds to come away with the competition points.

Looking across the rest of the grades, realistically The Bye will be on the wrong side of the ledger in all grades.

Will you be following The Bye this week over at View, or back to Stanmore for New v Shore?
The bye is actually paying $1.05 for a loss of <12. Could be worth putting my play lunch money on this.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
After HJ's last comment, is it possible to open "The Bye Conspiracy" Thread?
Matt Damon could mediate :) OR Newbie...
I just realised that I Have never seen Matt Damon in the same room as Newbie at the same time mmmmmm..... Conspiracy.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
HJ - Like many, I find that The Bye simply does not have the "crowd pulling" factor going for them! Crowds this year have voted with their feet and deserted The Bye in droves! Though very consistent ( you know what you're going to get! ), and as you and Barbarian have pointed out, disciplined - The Bye have failed to excite!

Cheers, Wreckless :)
I'm sorry Wreckless, but I am going to watch the Bye this weekend. I know that they were enjoyed by a few hardy supporters sitting inthe grandstand when they played Shore. I for one, will be beside the flag pole with the best viewing position. Just look at the positives of watching Bye play.
You can have a beer.
No abuse from the opposition.
No inane nagging kids around! Keep the Bye in the game!

T

Tight head Lion

SCANDAL

The Bye has been approached to play a game against the Wallabies. Sources close to the ARU say Deans is feeling confident they may get some points on the board. Even so certain shady characters were spotted handing envelopes over to the Bye coaching staff. Keep you posted.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm sorry Wreckless, but I am going to watch the Bye this weekend. I know that they were enjoyed by a few hardy supporters sitting inthe grandstand when they played Shore. I for one, will be beside the flag pole with the best viewing position. Just look at the positives of watching Bye play.
You can have a beer.
No abuse from the opposition.
No inane nagging kids around! Keep the Bye in the game![

Our loosing Wallabies will be smashing the BYE to retain the Dean Cup after 10 years.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
After HJ's last comment, is it possible to open "The Bye Conspiracy" Thread?
Matt Damon could mediate :) OR Newbie.
I just realised that I Have never seen Matt Damon in the same room as Newbie at the same time mmmmmm... Conspiracy.

Hey G- Chew - is there anything that you don't like!!!! :) Wreckless

Status
Not open for further replies.