• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It was great to watch some rugby in which I had no vested interest and in which the players played in a good spirit.
Little or no pointless kicking.
I felt like I'd emerged from a coma just watching some kids going as hard as they could for the love of the game.

The mantra I always use when I coach kids is "the games are short so play with the ball when you've got it".

I'm sure it's not quite that black and white at rep level though.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Too early to tell but Qld Reds have some great footballers which will dominate the DTT (Dream Team of the Tournament). Schools and Sydney with some gifted footballers will be in the mix.

What will be interesting is whether a good team will beat a team full of great skill on Friday.

Bill McLean (32)
The mantra I always use when I coach kids is "the games are short so play with the ball when you've got it".

I'm sure it's not quite that black and white at rep level though.

A big 'AMEN' to that, especially at the junior rep level!

Bill McLean (32)
Admittedly I was in the shade where it was relatively cool, but it might have been quite hot out in the middle as it seemed to me that some of the bigger players were being substituted fairly early in some games!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Way too early to tell who the real standouts were. Some teams have rather easy games with little pressure applied. Others had real dingdong battles and were under extreme pressure from the get go. Typical Day 1 nervousness and rustiness. Things will improve and better comparisons can be made from Day 2 and Day 3 games.

Disappointed to see many kids kicking good ball away for little tactical gain. Future Wallabies perhaps.:)

T

tubbaGOD

A few changes to the QLD white team that i know of. Eli Pilz will be starting half back and sam Hicks has been given the 23 jersey. I cant remember who replaced him at fullback.
I have been watching quite a few trainings this week and they look pretty good. Dont write them off!!! If they do the basics right they will be a real contender.
I have also been keeping an eye on the reds and while it is a big pack they are pretty mobile. Thier problem will be how well they get through 4 days of rugby.
QLD vs QLD final.. (maybe)

i believe dan forsyth is the starting fullback, previously number 23

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Game 1 - NSW Schools v NSW Country
Mon 1-Oct at 9.30am

After much anticipation for the competition to start two of the three NSW teams ran on to Riverview’s No 1 Oval for the first game of the Australian U16 Rugby Tournament on a sunny Spring day.

Before a crowd of 450 players, parents, ARU staff and officials (and a few ‘others’) both teams started tentatively. NSW Schools started with nearly all their reserves on and having only had 2 or 3 training sessions took a little while before posting their first try by their fastest player Joey Fittock (the No14 from Alstoneville). With the scoreboard started Schools increased the tempo. Centre Henry Hutchinson, playing on his home turf, showed his finishing prowess with the first of his 3 tries quickly followed by Mason Cohen (No.23) also scoring. Schools were now getting their combinations going with the backs’ preference for passing out and then back inside followed by another pass out and again inside that confused the defence and gained metres against the boys from the bush. The final try in the half was scored again by Joey Fittock and with James Kane (Kings School) finding his accuracy with normally reliable boot Schools lead Country 26-0 at the break.

Schools resumed the second stanza with their ‘best’ team on the paddock. The forwards showed their dominance through Lough, Summerhayes and Crichton to allow their backs to exhibit their class. Inside centre Frank Calugay (another speedster from Alstoneville) went straight through the middle for 25m before being brought down and with a quick pick & drive to 5m the ball went through some quick hands for Hutchinson to score another try.

As announced over the loud speakers Schools then scored the “try of the tournament” (notwithstanding it was the first game)! It started with Schools’ captain, No8 Angus Crichton taking it up the middle and passing off to centre Hutchinson on the left who also made good meterage and with Kane (No15) on his inside offloaded who ran it to the right and back to Crichton who with the line 2m away selflessly passed it to Jono Burke (No2 from Kings) to score under the posts. The scoreboard showed Schools ahead 38-0.

Five minutes later Chrichton again ran it up hard and fast to offload to No5 James Lough (St Augustines) who linked well with the try scoring machine, Hutchinson who scored again!

Schools scored more tries through Tony McDougall (Cranbrook) following by another well executed phase and big Jack Bowditch (no 18) was unstoppable from 8m out.

Full time couldn’t come quickly enough for NSW Country who were being helped by the ref with a very lopsided penalty count but still totally outclassed by Schools when the hooter blasted "times' up" with the scoreboard showing 55-0.

Schools only weakness was their front row with No3 Aisea Tukipili endlessly standing up in the scrums causing all end of trouble for his hooker (Hollis, St Augustines) which Country popped several times. In the lineouts both teams continually turned over possession with crooked throws even after Burke (Kings 1st XV) came on for Schools. For Country, they never gave up and whenever hope was on offer the movement fell over with a pushed pass or being run down by the faster Schools' players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was great to watch some rugby in which I had no vested interest and in which the players played in a good spirit.
Little or no pointless kicking.
I felt like I'd emerged from a coma just watching some kids going as hard as they could for the love of the game.

Wouldn't you just love to see the'Tahs and other Oz S15 franchises play with the passion and enthusiasm that the boys play with? No wonder they get good crowds at 1st XV games.

Similar "fun" footy at Aust Schoolboys Championship this year, although you do see more measured approach and an aversion to the riskier plays at Opens level. A maturity issue perhaps.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wouldn't you just love to see the'Tahs and other Oz S15 franchises play with the passion and enthusiasm that the boys play with? No wonder they get good crowds at 1st XV games.

Similar "fun" footy at Aust Schoolboys Championship this year, although you do see more measured approach and an aversion to the riskier plays at Opens level. A maturity issue perhaps.
Its a reminder of what I love about the game.
Its also the thrill of watching someone you've never seen before and seeing the skills they bring.
I thought the 16's games I saw were played on the borderline between too risky and too conservative: which is perfect.
I would love to be able to say I got a similar buzz watching 1st XV but I'm invariably watching one particular school - I did enjoy the Sctos v Kings trial game in which I, similarly, had no skin in the game.
Very impressed with this tournament - first time I have seen it.
BTW - does it move from state to state?

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
The cream of U16's will be at Riverview, little doubt about that.

I have seen all the Sydney Juniors and NSW Schools players at various venues around the traps this year, and most of the Country team. There is some great rugby firepower in those teams, and apart from those not playing due to injury, there probably are no better U16 rugby players in NSW.

The way the draw is Schools will meet Juniors in the Final on Friday, or..

If one or both of the QLD teams can upset that dream, and get Reds and/or Whites to the final on Friday, then they will indeed be damn fine players and teams, and worthy of their place.

Whatever teams make it to the big one on Friday, it will be a great game.

All the best to all the players.

WARNING: Don't forget the Smokeys from VIC, WA and the ACT. They won't be there to kow tow to the "on paper" favourites.
National U16 Championships Team List (from the official program)

View attachment 2989

hi
My friend & I watched ours sons play in the NSW Schools v Country match on Monday .Country tried hard but were no match for the Schools boys.
AGAIN for Country their best was the little fella from Illawarra Tom Sawden , if a few more bys including my son played like him we would do better.
Go the Country

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome to the threads Sydney Rugby Tragic.

It is refreshing to have a parent posting that their son is not the next Future Wallaby Captain.

At Riverview, the boys are in a great environment to be kids together with their mates, balanced with some serious rugby stuff going on. All the kids will be richer for this experience regardless of where their team ends up in whatever pool or division they are in.

Yesterday was a bit of a train smash for Country, but things should get better for them in the remaining games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports just in from View:

"SA and Tas - SA winning" - No final score

How is this for giving the on-paper form guide experts (this scribe included), the middle finger, "ACT 29 - Syd Jnr 25, 2 Yellow cards to Sydney".

About to leave the Salt Mines for the afternoon session, but it sounds like tonight's match reports will be interesting.

So much for my NSW v Sydney Grand final (I think).

Well done to the Brumbies boys. It's obvoius that the level displayed in parts yesterday carried over to today's match. Playing one short for 20 minutes as a result of two YC's would be a big hurdle to overcome for Juniors.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reports just in from View:

"SA and Tas - SA winning" - No final score

How is this for giving the on-paper form guide experts (this scribe included), the middle finger, "ACT 29 - Syd Jnr 25, 2 Yellow cards to Sydney".

About to leave the Salt Mines for the afternoon session, but it sounds like tonight's match reports will be interesting.

So much for my NSW v Sydney Grand final (I think).

Well done to the Brumbies boys. It's obvoius that the level displayed in parts yesterday carried over to today's match. Playing one short for 20 minutes as a result of two YC's would be a big hurdle to overcome for Juniors.

That's interesting - they did stick at it in that game yesterday.
had heard from others that Sydney were the guns: someone told me that many in the team were selected in NSW Schools but elected to play Sydney Jnrs - correct?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't get started on the NSW selection processes?

More intrigue than the Labour Liberal any Political Party pre-selection process.

The best NSW kids are at the tournament but the "names" of the teams that they play for are nonsence.

Sooner that ARU get rid of this ego trip and go to a NSW I, NSW II and a Combined States Model, the better.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's interesting - they did stick at it in that game yesterday.
had heard from others that Sydney were the guns: someone told me that many in the team were selected in NSW Schools but elected to play Sydney Jnrs - correct?
IS just doesn't work that way. They have no say in it. Big result for ACT !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.