• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Sevens - Gold Coast 7's - 13/14 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/7553/Default.aspx

GC7s%20Home_299_0_426426069.jpg

All sixteen teams for the second edition of Gold Coast Sevens – Fever Pitch in October have been confirmed after Tonga qualified for the opening leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series last weekend.

Finishing third at the Oceania Sevens Championship at North Sydney last Sunday, Tonga secured their place at Gold Coast Sevens - Fever Pitch, the Wellington Sevens and Hong Kong Sevens as well as the 2013 Ruby World Cup Sevens in Russia.

The Tongans join HSBC Sevens World Series core teams, Fiji, Argentina, France, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Kenya, USA, South Africa, Samoa, England, Scotland, Wales, last year’s overall Series winners New Zealand and hosts Australia for the two day tournament.

Tonga made a fortunate progression through the two-day Oceania Sevens Championships held at North Sydney Oval last weekend after being defeated by American Samoa in their first game on day one.

The side bounced back with a strong win against the Solomon Islands, 33 – 7 before going down 45 – 0 to Australia in their final pool match.

Day two was a far more successful day for Tonga, which started with a 17-15 win against Papua New Guinea in the quarter-final before again going down to Australia 24 – 7 in the semi-final.

In their final game the Tongans managed a nail-biting two-point win over the Cook Islands to secure third place, giving them the final spot in the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens and Gold Coast Sevens – Fever Pitch.

The Qantas Men’s Sevens went on to win the Oceania Sevens Championships defeating Samoa in the Final Play-off, 12 – 7.

The results mean Tonga and Australia are the final two teams to earn their place in the 24-team Rugby World Cup Sevens tournament in Moscow, Russia next year.

Whilst both teams have been lucky enough to book their place in the 2013 Sevens World Cup, their sights are now focussed on the first round of the HSBC World Sevens Series, Gold Coast Sevens – Fever Pitch 13 - 14 October.

Qantas Men’s Sevens Captain, Ed Jenkins said the team are using the positive experience from the recent Championships to prepare and focus on the Gold Coast Sevens in six weeks’ time.

“Now that we’ve qualified for the World Cup we’re setting our sights firmly on the Gold Coast,” Jenkins said.

“Our minds are on the job already as we haven’t won a tournament on home soil since 2002, a statistic we would like to change.”

To see the Qantas Men’s Sevens in action secure your tickets to the Gold Coast Sevens – Fever Pitch at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast (Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 October 2012).

Above is from the ARU Media Unit.

The Jarses are considering an expedition North for this particular weekend.

Any locals got any recommendations for places to stay?

Where are the teams staying?

Any associated rugby functions on the Coast, or is it just follow your nose?

Any Family Friendly Activities? Family Friendly places to stay?

The Troupe activities?

Gaggerland Catch ups?

Discuss them all here

T

TOCC

FORMER Titan Shannon Walker has no regrets about walking away from rugby league, with his eyes firmly fixed on an Olympic berth in his new sport in 2016.
Injury shortened Walker's first season in rugby sevens, with the 23-year-old missing the season opener on the Gold Coast last October and having to wait until the Hong Kong Sevens in March to make his debut.
But when he did get on the field, the flyer showed the speed and flair for which he is known, scoring four tries in his first two tournaments on the IRB World Sevens circuit.
Blessed with enormous natural talent and speed, Walker played only four games in a stop-start NRL career cruelled by injury and lack of opportunity in the Titans system.
While his switch to rugby has not been without frustration either, Walker has no doubt he made the right decision to leave the game he grew up with for the chance to seal a regular sevens berth ahead of the sport's Olympic debut.
"It's definitely something that drew me in at the start," he said of the lure of the Olympics.
"When the opportunity comes around, hopefully I'm fit and healthy and ready to go. I'd love to represent my country (at an Olympics), it's always an honour."
Walker admitted he struggled with the decision to switch codes but the frustration at failing to seal a regular NRL spot prompted his move.
And he is confident he made the right choice.
"It was a big decision. (But) there's no regrets really," he said.

"I'll always check (in with league). I've been back to the Titans to see everyone there, I've still got a few mates still left in there.
"It's a lot more hard work, with the (amount of) travel. I've got a little girl now too and that's the hardest thing."
Walker won't have to worry about travelling for a while though, with his next assignment the Gold Coast Sevens at Skilled Park on October 13-14.
After missing the tournament last year, Walker is determined to make his mark.
"I'm definitely looking forward to going back to Skilled.
"It's always an awesome park to play on ... I can't wait to get back and strut my stuff."
Tutelage from sevens coach Michael O'Connor, a former dual international, has helped Walker pick up the finer points of rugby and the 82kg winger is hoping to add more physicality to his game to become an international force.
It will be no easy road for the Thunder on the Gold Coast, with Australia drawing defending champions Fiji, Scotland and Tonga in their pool.
"It's definitely a hard pool. But it's anyone's game on the day. We've beaten Fiji before but it's very rare that that's come around," Walker said. "We've got to be on our game and hopefully all the boys are fit and healthy."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/09/18/438361_gold-coast-sport.html

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pools:

Pool A
New Zealand
South Africa
USA
Canada

Pool B
Fiji
Australia
Tonga
Scotland

Pool C
England
Samoa
Kenya
Spain

Pool D
Argentina
Wales
France
Portugal

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Assuming that Top Pool A plays #2 in Pool B and vice versa to progress to the Cup Finals, it is going to be tough for the Thunderbolts to progress.

Victories against Fiji, Saffers and Darkness are difficult at the best of times.

T

TOCC

Pool A has NZ and RSA who should get through.. Pool B & C have 3 heavyweights in each.. Pool D is arguably the easiest.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
On the weekend Kenya held a rugby 7s tournament (Safari 7s) against Africans Countries. Kenya was beaten in the final by an emerging South African side. 24,000 watched the game.

Let's hope the GC 7s can have a similar sized boisterous crowd

W

What2040

how long is Crooke out for ? Think he had a knee operation but how serious

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Off-field wise, hopefully gold coast finally pick up there game for this, but alas it's a sport event so who am i kidding. A obvious switch of fixtures to a saturday sunday combo and the fact that it is not in the middle of schoolies will obviously improve things compared to last year but i'm not convinced it will be anything significant due to the continued lack of advertising or the fact that they are still hosting it at Robina, which is soulless on the best of days. Ballymore should be the venue if it is another failure and QLD is determined to hold onto it. Last years coverage on the tv with a less than half full Stadium didn't convince anyone (Australian or those abroad) to make an effort to travel to this, rather than Wellington or Hong Kong. This needs to be a major event for the ARU with olympic participation coming up in 4 years, we can't allow it to continue to be substandard.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does Premier Newman have a rugby background? He is from the Army where rugby has a high profile and looks like he may have been an angry little fox terrior #9 in his day.

I think you have to give the GC another year or two to establish itself. Remember that HK 7's took many years to get the profile that it now enjoys as the pre-eminent 7's tournament.

T

TOCC

The QLD Govt brought the event to QLD to help the GC tourism industry, it will be one of the contract stipulations which the QLD Govt paid handsomely for...

T

TOCC

Titans lose Taliauli to union

THE Titans have lost another flyer to the other rugby code, with giant winger Lausi'i Taliauli following in the footsteps of former teammate Shannon Walker and being ushered into the Australian sevens team.

The 194cm, 100kg teen was to make his IRB world series debut on the Gold Coast but a groin injury will prevent him from turning out in front of a home crowd.

While rugby is the first love for Taliauli, the former Australian Schoolboys representative switched to league when he was handed a contract by the Titans to turn out in the Toyota Cup under-20 competition.

Read more:
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/10/439525_rugby-sport.html

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Last years coverage on the tv with a less than half full Stadium didn't convince anyone (Australian or those abroad) to make an effort to travel to this, rather than Wellington or Hong Kong. This needs to be a major event for the ARU with olympic participation coming up in 4 years, we can't allow it to continue to be substandard.

Gee, fair go, mate. The event did okay in its first year, far better than in Adelaide, and according to feedback I received, it was a lot of fun, and will continue to grow in popularity. You want to judge it on what happened in its first and only year?

Just for your information, the Hong Kong Sevens took around 15 years to build up to anything like its current popularity. I remember the days when the Hong Kong Sevens drew a couple of thousand people. Let's give the Goldie a bit of a chance, it is a popular tourist destination after all.

T

TOCC

The Australian public as a whole has been slow to open their arms to 7's rugby.. It is slowly building however, we can't make knee jerk reactions after one or two years though.. Give it a chance to establish itself on the tourism calendar and build a reputation..

Status
Not open for further replies.