• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Source: http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/7704/Default.aspx

Three schools from Sydney’s West have successfully qualified for the 2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament on the Gold Coast next month after topping the NSW State Secondary Schools Rugby Sevens finals held in Penrith last week.

St Gregorys College in Campbelltown, The Hills Sports High School in Seven Hills and Westfields Sports High School in Fairfield automatically qualified after finishing in the top three amongst teams from high schools across regional and metropolitan NSW.

The top three successful teams will make their way to the Gold Coast on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October to contest the National Schools Rugby Sevens crown against schools from across Australia.

The National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held alongside the second instalment of the Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch tournament, which will see 16 international teams descend upon Skilled Park on the Gold Coast for two days of frenetic Rugby Sevens action.

The Final of the National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held on the Sunday at Skilled Park during a break in the day two finals action of Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch.

Who else has qualified?

Hills Sports played a demo game of Rugby 7's against Westfield Sports at 1/2 time in the Sydney Bledisloe Cup Test.

G

gilbert15

Then who is the 7's squad training at Manu-land, what are they together for?

G

gilbert15

Someones planning ahead! I was out there earlier in the week and they only looked like schoolboys, although I didn't recognise any of them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the charter for the HPU (ManuLand) is a long term development one.

Not sure about the age of the "schoolboys" you saw in ManuLand, but you gotta remember that todays schoolboys are tomorrows adult athletes. 19-24 are the target ages for 7's gazelles and whippets.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Source: http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/7704/Default.aspx

Three schools from Sydney’s West have successfully qualified for the 2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament on the Gold Coast next month after topping the NSW State Secondary Schools Rugby Sevens finals held in Penrith last week.

St Gregorys College in Campbelltown, The Hills Sports High School in Seven Hills and Westfields Sports High School in Fairfield automatically qualified after finishing in the top three amongst teams from high schools across regional and metropolitan NSW.

The top three successful teams will make their way to the Gold Coast on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October to contest the National Schools Rugby Sevens crown against schools from across Australia.

The National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held alongside the second instalment of the Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch tournament, which will see 16 international teams descend upon Skilled Park on the Gold Coast for two days of frenetic Rugby Sevens action.

The Final of the National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held on the Sunday at Skilled Park during a break in the day two finals action of Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch.

Who else has qualified?

Hills Sports played a demo game of Rugby 7's against Westfield Sports at 1/2 time in the Sydney Bledisloe Cup Test.

3 out of 4 QLD schools playing in semifinal will join in. Most likely Keebra Boys, Brisbane State High and Toowoomba Grammar. It will be difficult to match those from Keebra, they are feeding ground for Tigers.

Bill McLean (32)
St Greg's
Westfield's
Hills

All notable powerhouse league schools!

What others and myself have been saying for a long time, "rugby needs to tap into greater western Sydney and the way to do it is through the introduction of sevens"

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
St Greg's
Westfield's
Hills

All notable powerhouse league schools!

What others and myself have been saying for a long time, "rugby needs to tap into greater western Sydney and the way to do it is through the introduction of sevens"

Good point Newbie. Scots sent a team to these championships with 2 x 16Bs 5 x 16As 2 x 2nd XV and 2 x 1st XV, all year 10 and 11 boys who acquitted themselves well during the day. Won their pool matches and first 1/4 final against Kiama. They then lost to St Gregs 22-21 to go into the plate final against Hills and lost 35-32 to come 4th in an Opens Schools Comp.

My point would be that if a couple of the GPS/CAS schools committed to sending their top sevens teams to this type of competition the leaguies wouldn't get a look in.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ...My point would be that if a couple of the GPS/CAS schools committed to sending their top sevens teams to this type of competition the leaguies wouldn't get a look in.

I would have to disagree with you here!

Firstly, it is my understanding that the schools above did not send all of their best players available. There are also better schools than the ones above that would probably carve up in sevens (i.e. Matraville Sports, Edeavour Sports and Patricians Bros Blacktown).

Secondly sevens is the ideal converts game and is ideally suited to league players in some of the well known league nurseries of NSW and QLD. Admittedly they would all have to learn to pass properly - lol - but in terms of fitness and toughness they would excel. Keebra Park is the best recent example.

Ultimately it would be great if sevens was rolled out on a larger scale.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)

Firstly, it is my understanding that the schools above did not send all of their best players available. There are also better schools than the ones above that would probably carve up in sevens (i.e. Matraville Sports, Edeavour Sports and Patricians Bros Blacktown).

Secondly sevens is the ideal converts game and is ideally suited to league players in some of the well known league nurseries of NSW and QLD. Admittedly they would all have to learn to pass properly - lol - but in terms of fitness and toughness they would excel. Keebra Park is the best recent example.

I agree with you as this is a case of the sevens being the poor relation? I would have thought that given the fact it is to be an Olympic sport for Rio ALL schools should be sending their best or is it still the case that Schools are treating this comp as a trial for younger kids in the opens.

Yes .... Roll it out to a bigger comp. these schools were selected from their own areas? Why weren't the Matravilles Endeavours Patricians etc included in this comp.

Keebra Park?

Are we going to see a larger involvement with all schools given Rio?

Are we going to see an influx of League schools because of the Olympics then see them revert back to League after 2016?

I find it all very frustrating .... ducks and drakes all round.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are we going to see an influx of League schools because of the Olympics then see them revert back to League after 2016?

If they convert, why would they revert. After Rio, Rugby sevens will be a permanent sport in the Olympics won't it?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any one know the final list of teams for National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament this weekend?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

come and watch the Scots investec sevens and watch the standard from the "Rugby" schools.....see below last years results..Endeavour were there..

19 Cranbrook School 14 v 20 Endeavour Sports HS PLATE SEMI
20 Brisbane State HS 26 v 24 St. Stanislaus’ College PLATE SEMI
21 The Scots College 17 v 34 Lloyd McDermott Team CUP SEMI
22 Shore School 0 v 24 St. Ignatius’ College CUP SEMI
23 Canberra Grammar 31 v 12 Prairiewood HS BOWL FINAL
24 Brisbane State HS 29 v 10 Endeavour Sports HS PLATE FINAL
25 St. Ignatius’ College 7 v 19 Lloyd McDermott Team CUP FINAL

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
come and watch the Scots investec sevens and watch the standard from the "Rugby" schools...see below last years results..Endeavour were there..

19 Cranbrook School 14 v 20 Endeavour Sports HS PLATE SEMI
20 Brisbane State HS 26 v 24 St. Stanislaus’ College PLATE SEMI
21 The Scots College 17 v 34 Lloyd McDermott Team CUP SEMI
22 Shore School 0 v 24 St. Ignatius’ College CUP SEMI
23 Canberra Grammar 31 v 12 Prairiewood HS BOWL FINAL
24 Brisbane State HS 29 v 10 Endeavour Sports HS PLATE FINAL
25 St. Ignatius’ College 7 v 19 Lloyd McDermott Team CUP FINAL
Lloyd Mcdermott were amazing..

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
i hated it when keebra won that tournament a year or two ago, the press and leaguies made such a big deal about how "the best union teams in the country just got beaten by a bunch of leaguies" they neglected to say that multiple schools didnt send their best players whilst shcools like newington and joeys didnt compete at all. Then they played the "we've never even played before" card, my ass they hadnt, one was a aussie schoolboy and with all those freshies from nz and the pacific islands i would bet a considereable amount of money that they had rugby experience and possibly even 7's experience.

hope they get pumped

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

matraville dont even play union and arnt even one of the better nsw teams going around

the last good endevour union team finished in 09, league teams good but they wouldnt send their league team if they have a union one.

Bill McLean (32)
matraville dont even play union and arnt even one of the better nsw teams going around

the last good endevour union team finished in 09, league teams good but they wouldnt send their league team if they have a union one.

SS,

The point I was trying to make is that such schools have the requisite (league) talent to perform well at sevens rugby! As my quote states, "probably carve it up in sevens".

As for being one of the better league schools in NSW I need only point to the respective track records of both schools in the various competitions they have performed in over the last couple of years.

There are two examples I could present who would excel at sevens:

Alex Johnson (Endeavour SHS)
Willis Meehan (Matraville SHS)

Go have a look at these boys play. Both are speedy outside backs with pace to burn! They are also current Australian schoolboys (as U/17's too).

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
SS,

The point I was trying to make is that such schools have the requisite (league) talent to perform well at sevens rugby! As my quote states, "probably carve it up in sevens".

As for being one of the better league schools in NSW I need only point to the respective track records of both schools in the various competitions they have performed in over the last couple of years.

There are two examples I could present who would excel at sevens:

Alex Johnson (Endeavour SHS)
Willis Meehan (Matraville SHS)

Go have a look at these boys play. Both are speedy outside backs with pace to burn! They are also current Australian schoolboys (as U/17's too).
How would they go agst Horwitz,Starkey,Stewart,Dylan Holmes,Seamus Frost,Crichton and Murray etc ..not sure general carve ups of established teams would be automatic but it would be very interesting to see how they would fare.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
National SchoolGirls 7’s results
Cup Final (1st/2nd)
QLD Red, 29 defeated NSW Blue, 15

Plate Final
ACT, 19 defeated NSW White, 17
Other participating teams: QLD White, South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia.

The teams competed in a round robin format with the top ranked teams in each pool progressing through to the final knockout stages.
The teams were made up of schoolgirls who were identified and invited to attend State selection days.

National Schoolboys 7’s results

Cup Final (1st/2nd)
Keebra Park State (QLD), 24 defeated St. Gregory’s (NSW) 19

3rd/4th playoff
Marist College, (ACT) 28 defeated Erindale, (ACT) 0 (Erindale forfeit)

Plate Final (5th/6th)
Aranmore Catholic (WA), 32 defeated Westfields Sports (NSW), 5

7th/8th playoff
Hills Sports (NSW), 22 defeated St. Brendan’s (QLD) 15

Bowl final (9th/10th)
Brisbane State (QLD), 29 defeated Victoria University Secondary, (VIC) 17

11th/12th playoff
Taminmin College (NT), 12 defeated Rostrevor College, (SA) 7

Full report here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/7896/Default.aspx

Bill McLean (32)
Please find below an article I found at a well-known Junior League website.

KEEBRA PARK WIN THIRD STRAIGHT NATIONAL SEVENS TITLE
Story By : Darren Hart Keebra Park RL
Keebra Park SHS etched its name into the record books this year by notching up a third straight win in the National Schoolboy Sevens comp.
This feat was even more remarkable given that Union is not played at Keebra and the team only had a one day break between winning the QLD title and defending their National crown.
To win the QLD title, Keebra fought off challenges from more fancied heavyweight private schools TSS and Brisbane State High who’s bread and butter is Union and who have considerable resources and facilities that should have swayed the odds in their favour.
However, pride in the jersey, respect for tradition and a willingness to work hard for each other won through on the day and Keebra emerged victorious after a convincing win over St Brendan’s Yeppoon in the Grand Final.
After a brief day of rest the boys backed up and battled through the National Pool stages with wins over the Victorian University school and Westfields Sports High, to set up a semi- final showdown with Marist College Canberra.
A first half rout put paid to Marists chances and Keebra progressed to a Skilled Park clash with Sydney Powerhouse St Gregs.
Racing away to a 19-0 lead the boys looked unstoppable but the nature of sevens saw the Sydneysiders draw level at 19-19 with a minute to play.
A scrambling defensive effort saw Keebra Regain possession and a runaway try to powerful prop Watson Heleta on the final siren gave the Gold coasters victory and a place in the history books.
Well done all involved and well done to the coaching staff and supporters who cheered the boys on throughout the day.
Who knows next year we might put two sides in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.