• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A honest question from a Kiwi about Richie and Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I'm sure the reds players are hated by those in NSW more than they hate Richie.

I think people are frustrated that he's the best in the world at blatantly cheating without getting caught.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
McCaw. Better if he was Australian.

Almost as much banter between NSW and Queensland as there is between NZ and Australia.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
My 2 cents.

I'd say most non-NZ supporters objected to the leniency afforded to him during the Paddy O'Brien era. That was painful to watch.

And the NZ public has done him no favours by their churlish displays during the media led Cooper-McCaw handbags. They may think him unchallengeable, I and others, think he's a cheat (the job descript of most 7's).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Richie never acknolwedges the opposition in the post-match speech. Never. .

Perhaps you're just remembering the aftermath of the RWC final last year, when Richie's post-match speech did conspicuously avoid any mention of the French. But that was because they had tried to souvenir one of his eyeballs, apparently.

It annoys me that he even has the breath to put two words together after some of those matches.

J

Jay

My 2 cents.

I'd say most non-NZ supporters objected to the leniency afforded to him during the Paddy O'Brien era. That was painful to watch.

Ok - genuine question from me:

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) honestly think that McCaw got preferential treatment from refs due to POB being in charge?

I don't deny McCaw cheats (as you say, job descript of most 7's) and I can acknowledge that he may indeed cheat more than most. But surely he gets away with it cause he's very good at it and knows when and where to push the boundaries rather than due to some conspiracy?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just think he's very good at what he does, in terms of infringing. But he seems to get a little bit extra in the talking to the ref department.

He's very very good at taking just enough time to slow the ball down at the ruck after the ref says hands off but not long enough to get penalised. He knows no ref will penalise slowing down the ball just slightly because they'd be penalising at around 50% of rucks.

It all sounds very simple but the reality is when you're running 7-8km and intermittently hitting things making calculated split second decisions can be hard.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ok - genuine question from me:

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) honestly think that McCaw got preferential treatment from refs due to POB being in charge?

I don't deny McCaw cheats (as you say, job descript of most 7's) and I can acknowledge that he may indeed cheat more than most. But surely he gets away with it cause he's very good at it and knows when and where to push the boundaries rather than due to some conspiracy?
Jay, clearly some do, they have posted as much.
Realistically, I doubt a lot of people really think that. I don't.
Paddy set some bad precedents in the way he handled refereeing controversies, which didn't help his cause at all. He was poor in his role.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
../snip/... But that was because they had tried to souvenir one of his eyeballs, apparently.
Does Richie not realise the importance of the tourist dollar to the NZ economy?

A more common expression is "I'd give my left nut for....[Rugby World Cup/insert other reward])" rather than "I'd give my left eye for ..."

According to rugby folklore former Darkness Hardman Buck Shelford nearly did the former when against ? he had his scrotum torn in a ruck incident.

In terms of the ecomony, selling a bit of Sir Richie GOAT's reproductive equipment may be better for the NZ economy than his eyeball.

J

Jay

A more common expression is "I'd give my left nut for..[Rugby World Cup/insert other reward])" rather than "I'd give my left eye for ."

According to rugby folklore former Darkness Hardman Buck Shelford nearly did the former when against ? he had his scrotum torn in a ruck incident.

In terms of the ecomony, selling a bit of Sir Richie GOAT's reproductive equipment may be better for the NZ economy than his eyeball.

I'd give my left arm to play drums for Def Leppard.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

If this is what you think - exactly the same as me - then I have no idea why you, and others, give me so much shit about it.

Maybe it's like the fact that people often criticise their own family, but when anyone else does it, they take offence?

J

Jay

If this is what you think - exactly the same as me - then I have no idea why you, and others, give me so much shit about it.

Maybe it's like the fact that people often criticise their own family, but when anyone else does it, they take offence?

I think it's probably best for everyone if I don't respond. No offence, but I don't really see the discussion working out well for anyone concerned.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sean Fitzpatrick had a reputation for knowing how to play the referee, like McCaw. I can't think of any Wallaby captain who was as good as dealing with the referee as these two except Eales.

J

Jay

Sean Fitzpatrick had a reputation for knowing how to play the referee, like McCaw. I can't think of any Wallaby captain who was as good as dealing with the referee as these two except Eales.

George Gregan was bloody good at it - remember that Melbourne Bledisloe in 2007 when he managed to get away with not actually feeding a scrum until about the 50th minute? He'd just go to feed, then hold the ball up and wait for a free kick/penalty with Aus getting more than their share. Was a master class in ref manipulation.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A more common expression is "I'd give my left nut for..[Rugby World Cup/insert other reward])" rather than "I'd give my left eye for ."

Sometimes you just have to grab what is (figuratively speaking) on offer at the time.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think it's probably best for everyone if I don't respond. No offence, but I don't really see the discussion working out well for anyone concerned.

What a weird reply. Do you want to claim that I'm not saying the same thing about mcCaw as you? If so, are you not able to state that civilly?

I'm actually pretty sick of being made a straw man by you and your mates, Jay.

J

Jay

What a weird reply. Do you want to claim that I'm not saying the same thing about mcCaw as you? If so, are you not able to state that civilly?

I'm actually pretty sick of being made a straw man by you and your mates, Jay.

I'm simply saying that I don't think there's any new ground to be made from that line of discussion, and I'd rather drop the subject.

If you feel I've been making you a straw man, I apologise - though I'd point out that I've only made one post about you in the last year, and I've since said that if you're willing to put past history to one side then I am too.

Status
Not open for further replies.